Why Anti Crossbow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Re: Why Anti Crossbow?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:08 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Just saying.....

Don’t believe adds like this show the weapon as archery equipment. Pretty clear what audience they are catering to for sells.

I wonder if you believe and cite all marketing campaigns or just the ones you agree with.

:think:

buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:23 am

Don’t believe adds like this show the weapon as archery equipment. Pretty clear what audience they are catering to for sells.

Perhaps im misunderstanding the intention of your post. If its about “who” the manufacturers are marketing to, I get that.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

I’m not sure about the marketing idea. Generally speaking, The more people hunting, the better for the future of hunting. Crossbows can serve many purposes And I get that. I’m not anti crossbow. They are super fun to shoot also. However, I’m unsure how one could make the argument that they are even remotely comparable as far as degree of difficulty. Do what makes you happy, but call a spade a spade. To me it would be like saying “A rifle weighs more, so rifle hunting is much more difficult to accomplish”.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:57 pm

I really don't understand why any sensible person cares whether someone else uses a crossbow, a stick bow or a gun? Are you worried someone will do better than you? I try to just worry about me.... Take a look at the video I just posted on the beast youtube page about Mario vs the dogs. I was taken back by all the hatefull comments about Mario shooting a crossbow. My common response is that his elbow is permanently locked at 90 degrees and he can't move it, so he cant shoot a regular bow. So why shouldn't he get to enjoy bow season too? Granted, most of the ignorant hate messages are from people assuming he is not disabled. However, what does that matter? You will get guys that say its much easier and more deer will get killed... Well, some of that might be true, it is a little easier, I wouldn't say a lot. You still have to get a deer in bow range. Despite what people say the accurate range of a crossbow is only slightly more that a compound. As far as killing more deer? I think they kill less. Most guys I know that shoot crossbows kill one deer a year... The 1st one they shoot at. I shot 3 deer this year that I did not tag cause they were not recovered. If its a more effective tool at killing, they will wound less, and kill less. Regardless, hunters should not fight among themselves. We have enough enemies. Why are some people so worried someone else might kill a bigger buck, or shoot more? Maybe those people should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hunt....
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 pm

buttonbuck wrote:

Perhaps im misunderstanding the intention of your post. If its about “who” the manufacturers are marketing to, I get that.

Ya, I think you took it the wrong way. The add was posted as a answer to the title of this thread. Why Anti Crossbow. Feel these kinda adds and commercials with guys shooting 2” groups at a 100 yards just pour fuel on the fire.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:10 pm

X2.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:17 pm

dan wrote:I really don't understand why any sensible person cares whether someone else uses a crossbow, a stick bow or a gun? Are you worried someone will do better than you? I try to just worry about me.... Take a look at the video I just posted on the beast youtube page about Mario vs the dogs. I was taken back by all the hatefull comments about Mario shooting a crossbow. My common response is that his elbow is permanently locked at 90 degrees and he can't move it, so he cant shoot a regular bow. So why shouldn't he get to enjoy bow season too? Granted, most of the ignorant hate messages are from people assuming he is not disabled. However, what does that matter? You will get guys that say its much easier and more deer will get killed... Well, some of that might be true, it is a little easier, I wouldn't say a lot. You still have to get a deer in bow range. Despite what people say the accurate range of a crossbow is only slightly more that a compound. As far as killing more deer? I think they kill less. Most guys I know that shoot crossbows kill one deer a year... The 1st one they shoot at. I shot 3 deer this year that I did not tag cause they were not recovered. If its a more effective tool at killing, they will wound less, and kill less. Regardless, hunters should not fight among themselves. We have enough enemies. Why are some people so worried someone else might kill a bigger buck, or shoot more? Maybe those people should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hunt....

Well said.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
buttonbuck wrote:

Ya, I think you took it the wrong way. The add was posted as a answer to the title of this thread. Why Anti Crossbow. Feel these kinda adds and commercials with guys shooting 2” groups at a 100 yards just pour fuel on the fire.

Roger that. Yeah man, I got an excalibur with recurve limbs and the scope has a max 60 yard pin. It will drop a bolt in a heart sized target at 60 (sitting, braced and perfect trigger squeeze) but in reality that’s insane. The few times I took a shot past 40 on live targets I realized thats a very bad idea. It’s really unethical to advertise that crap just to have a guy learn the hard way.

On another note, I seen on youtube a guy jump off a boat with a recurve in an Alaskan river. Pulled back and drilled a moose in the heart at 60 yards.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:05 pm

dan wrote:I really don't understand why any sensible person cares whether someone else uses a crossbow, a stick bow or a gun? Are you worried someone will do better than you? I try to just worry about me.... Take a look at the video I just posted on the beast youtube page about Mario vs the dogs. I was taken back by all the hatefull comments about Mario shooting a crossbow. My common response is that his elbow is permanently locked at 90 degrees and he can't move it, so he cant shoot a regular bow. So why shouldn't he get to enjoy bow season too? Granted, most of the ignorant hate messages are from people assuming he is not disabled. However, what does that matter? You will get guys that say its much easier and more deer will get killed... Well, some of that might be true, it is a little easier, I wouldn't say a lot. You still have to get a deer in bow range. Despite what people say the accurate range of a crossbow is only slightly more that a compound. As far as killing more deer? I think they kill less. Most guys I know that shoot crossbows kill one deer a year... The 1st one they shoot at. I shot 3 deer this year that I did not tag cause they were not recovered. If its a more effective tool at killing, they will wound less, and kill less. Regardless, hunters should not fight among themselves. We have enough enemies. Why are some people so worried someone else might kill a bigger buck, or shoot more? Maybe those people should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they hunt....

Spot on, can’t understand why anyone would say negative stuff about Mario’s hunt that was a great video and hunt. Seems like one negative thing about hunting beast becoming more popular is getting a lot of the archery talk type folks on the board. People can’t be happy for others success, everything is a competition, and only inches matter. I’m not competing against anyone I’m competing against the deer and myself.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Strange that someone gets angry about someone else killing a deer with a legal method. As previously mentioned, that has to be a jealousy thing. That is a good sign that a person is not particularly happy with themselves.

My only point is about the general difficulty level for the general person. I also fully understand that traditional archery likely has greater challenges, throwing a spear, a rock and so on.

I hunt rifle and compound currently, but could see myself using a compound down the road if mobility becomes limited. I hunt my hunt and that is all I can control.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:50 am

Anyone running down someone for hunting legally is just wrong period. The DNR should have had created a separate season & i think a lot of this "infighting" would have been avoided. Water under the bridge now, but when their are talks of going to a 1 buck per hunter season, shortening the archery season, & other limits or cuts the season due to higher success rates & increased buck harvest the vertical bow hunters get excited.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:15 am

Crossbows have been legal during archery season in Ohio since the 70s or 80s. They are killing plenty of deer and big bucks down there every year and it’s one of the most popular destination states. Plus they have a long archery season.I don’t hunt with a crossbow just saying
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:58 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:

Spot on, can’t understand why anyone would say negative stuff about Mario’s hunt that was a great video and hunt. Seems like one negative thing about hunting beast becoming more popular is getting a lot of the archery talk type folks on the board. People can’t be happy for others success, everything is a competition, and only inches matter. I’m not competing against anyone I’m competing against the deer and myself.

Dan, I get all that and noticed Mario used a crossbow. Being disabled using a crossbow was NEVER the problem. The problem is , I think is crossbows are more effective. It is a superior weapon. The superior weapon needs a separate season . If this is not a true statement, then lets all head to the stand with rifles on opening day of bow. Yes, it's an extreme example but somewhat true. I see all kinds of hunters using crossbows that are much more physically abled than me. . Now lets say we all go to a crossbow and dump our compounds. The next question is, what would happen to the length of bow season? I am sure there would be an over harvest . I doubt our Wisconsin DNR would even notice, none the less even care. All in Wisconsin agree? I bet most would agree. This is my concern about crossbows. The only thing better about a crossbow is I am sure they wound less deer. That is a plus, and should not be used as an excuse however. I have a cousin SHE has a crossbow . She had cancer and said it is harder for her to pull and shoot a regular bow. She however took full advantage of a crossbow . The shop sighted it in for her. She took it home and put 3 arrows in 2" at about 25 yds. and never shot a crossbow before. As for Mario, I am right behind him . My sore rotators never go away. I bought a $1007 Mathews this winter to lower poundage so I can pull the string back when it gets cold. I decided on a Mathews Avail instead of crossbow. I will go down to 50 lbs on that bow and when I cant pull that back a crossbow it will be . Many days, I have tried to pull back my bow @ 54 lbs and cant do it . A crossbow for a physically abled person is a short cut to avoid the practice it takes to be good . This is my opinion. Also Dan, I saw you hit that doe . With a crossbow you would have seen that twig in the scope, I bet and would have got that deer with a crossbow , I am willing to bet. A superior weapon no doubt.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 am

ihookem wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

Dan, I get all that and noticed Mario used a crossbow. Being disabled using a crossbow was NEVER the problem. The problem is , I think is crossbows are more effective. It is a superior weapon. The superior weapon needs a separate season . If this is not a true statement, then lets all head to the stand with rifles on opening day of bow. Yes, it's an extreme example but somewhat true. I see all kinds of hunters using crossbows that are much more physically abled than me. . Now lets say we all go to a crossbow and dump our compounds. The next question is, what would happen to the length of bow season? I am sure there would be an over harvest . I doubt our Wisconsin DNR would even notice, none the less even care. All in Wisconsin agree? I bet most would agree. This is my concern about crossbows. The only thing better about a crossbow is I am sure they wound less deer. That is a plus, and should not be used as an excuse however. I have a cousin SHE has a crossbow . She had cancer and said it is harder for her to pull and shoot a regular bow. She however took full advantage of a crossbow . The shop sighted it in for her. She took it home and put 3 arrows in 2" at about 25 yds. and never shot a crossbow before. As for Mario, I am right behind him . My sore rotators never go away. I bought a $1007 Mathews this winter to lower poundage so I can pull the string back when it gets cold. I decided on a Mathews Avail instead of crossbow. I will go down to 50 lbs on that bow and when I cant pull that back a crossbow it will be . Many days, I have tried to pull back my bow @ 54 lbs and cant do it . A crossbow for a physically abled person is a short cut to avoid the practice it takes to be good . This is my opinion. Also Dan, I saw you hit that doe . With a crossbow you would have seen that twig in the scope, I bet and would have got that deer with a crossbow , I am willing to bet. A superior weapon no doubt.

Why do you use a compound and not a traditional bow? In states that keep the statistics the difference in success rates for compound vs traditional is quite a bit. More than the difference between crossbows and compounds. The compound is a far superior weapon than a traditional.

Then even after the weapon let's look at other technology. Do you use a rangefinder, treestand, trail cameras? How about a peep? Sights? release?, drop away rest? THe list can go on and on.

THe same things you are saying was said way back in the day when compounds were legalized by the traditional guys.

Frankly I don't know why some people worry so much about how other hunters hunt.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:53 am

cspot wrote:
ihookem wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

Why do you use a compound and not a traditional bow? In states that keep the statistics the difference in success rates for compound vs traditional is quite a bit. More than the difference between crossbows and compounds. The compound is a far superior weapon than a traditional.

Then even after the weapon let's look at other technology. Do you use a rangefinder, treestand, trail cameras? How about a peep? Sights? release?, drop away rest? THe list can go on and on.

THe same things you are saying was said way back in the day when compounds were legalized by the traditional guys.

Frankly I don't know why some people worry so much about how other hunters hunt.

I'm not worrying , and dont like implying that I am. The concern is, how long of a season will we have if everyone dumps their bows for a crossbow this fall? , and it is heading that way to some degree. It is a logical concern. The first compounds that came out are dinosaurs compared to today and I didn't see it as a big deal. There were a fraction of bow hunters then too. I was almost as good with my recurve , but the compound was a bit better. The crossbow is far superior to any compound. Take 50 crossbow shooters and 50 compound shooters @ 30 yds and you will see a big difference . There are more variables to a compound. No matter how much I practice , I will seldom beat a crossbow, and I practice daily till my wasted shoulders get sore. It is more accurate, faster, and less to worry about when a deer is there. Scopes make crossbows even more accurate. Again , if everyone dumps their recurves and compounds and use crossbows instead, I am sure we would see a climb in harvest numbers. If it is not true, why do so many able bodied people use them instead of compounds and recurves? Of course, they are the superior weapon. If weapon does not matter, then lets all use rifles opening day of bow then too, or perhaps just muzzleloaders. This is all the fault of whoever made crossbows legal for anyone in hopes to sell more licenses. They should have left it the way it was, at least thats the belief in Wisconsin. Many states have separate crossbow seasons. My uncle in New York is surprised crossbows have as long as a season as we do. New York is a shorter season for crossbows. Michigan has some restrictions too . I am not sure what they are however.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”