Define an accomplished hunter...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Tsom
500 Club

Re: Define an accomplished hunter...

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:44 am

For me in my neck of the woods I'd call anyone who can tag out every year in NH an accomplished Hunter.

Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:07 am

Honestly to me its anyone that puts the time in to scout and just puts more effort then the average weekend warrior during the gun season. Afte this season I view it as anyone that hunts for food but also will be picky on what he kills and doesn't shoot everything that moves. To me I could care less if you shoot a fork or a 12 pointer its whatever makes you happy and makes you go back out again and again
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:48 am

I had a similar conversation with a friend recently. An accomplished hunter to me is anyone that has devoted a significant amount of time to hunting and has had somewhat consistent success.I know a lot of accomplished hunters. This website is full of them with many many more hunters on their way. We could all learn something from all of them. As far as comparing hunters I try not to do that too much. We all hunt different areas with varying degrees of difficulty. Some people have excellent hunting right out the back door and live in areas where the genetics are superior. Other guys hunt in crappy genetic areas with high pressure. I think if we compare too much it definitely can ruin our own experience.

On the flipside there were a handful of guys that I somewhat looked up to when I first started out. They were my hunting heroes and I found them very inspiring. I definitely compared my self to them and worked hard in an attempt to get to their level. Little did I know that some of these guys had extra special circumstances but that’s OK. I think it’s cool when someone is starting out to have a mentor or someone they look up to if nothing else to show them what they are capable of. Nowadays, the guys that I look up to are just regular old Joe’s that are good family men and have limited time but still find a way to get it done. I try not to compare my self to anyone any longer but I do try to learn from other accomplished hunters.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:25 am

For me - it's me - I love me - I think I'm awesome - I think I'm freaking good looking too - I have a body of an Adonis - My IQ might be more than Trump & Bidden combined - Oh yeah, I kill deer too - I only like small and medium ones, they eat better - I'm quieter in the woods, cuz I wear size 7EEE, the size of a big hoof print - more later... :violin:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:For me - it's me - I love me - I think I'm awesome - I think I'm freaking good looking too - I have a body of an Adonis - My IQ might be more than Trump & Bidden combined - Oh yeah, I kill deer too - I only like small and medium ones, they eat better - I'm quieter in the woods, cuz I wear size 7EEE, the size of a big hoof print - more later... :violin:

In case you are wondering, your IQ and the vast majority of Beast members is beyond Trump and Biden combined !! :lol:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 am

I see an accomplished hunter as someone who is comfortable in his own skin who is willing to help others have success.

When I talk to guys and they start jabbering about how good they are and I ask 'em how to hunt better, they usually won't help. That's not an accomplished hunter IMO, even if he has a world record on the wall.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:44 am

For me I see someone as an accomplished hunter when they show they have separated themselfs, their enjoyment of hunting from the marketing craze and big rack sickness that has taken over deer hunting.

Someone who can get up and go do the things needed too find and kill a deer simply because they like the hunt and want to eat the deer, is and always will be a more accomplished hunter in my eyes then anyone who spends every dollar they can to have the latest and greatest and thinks he/she has too kill only huge racked bucks and brag about all the high dollar gear they have.

That rules out 99 percent of anyone on tv are has ever been on tv and 99 percent of owners of hunting related companys.

Dan is the exception and the reason it's 99 percent and not 100 percent.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:59 am

An accomplished hunter is one who sets his own goals and reaches them. What those goals are is an entirely personal matter.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm

Lots of great replies above. Like Drenalin my hunting and goals are personal.
ButtonBuckFever

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:02 pm

I felt accomplished my fist bow kill with a 1 1/2 taken on the ground. I still do. No TV guy would think of that as an accomplishment. A buddy of mine's been hunting with a long bow for 20 years. He's happy with the same now, and I feel that he's accomplished something.

It is personal, based on quality of herd, land, hunting style ....

I passed on a 120 this year, first year beast style on brand new public that I discovered on Google. I felt accomplished. Many would not.

My point is, if it feels right to you, then it is and enjoy it.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:28 pm

An accomplished hunter is one that sets harvest/kill goals and consistently achieves said goals. That’s the most generic definition that can include folks in any parts of the country, no matter the pressure nor the local deer genetics.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
PLP

Unread postby PLP » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm

To me it is the guy who can go anywhere and be successful.Who consistently takes mature deer.Not necessarily the biggest but mature ones.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:13 pm

Most likes. No doubt.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:51 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:I had a similar conversation with a friend recently. An accomplished hunter to me is anyone that has devoted a significant amount of time to hunting and has had somewhat consistent success.I know a lot of accomplished hunters. This website is full of them with many many more hunters on their way. We could all learn something from all of them. As far as comparing hunters I try not to do that too much. We all hunt different areas with varying degrees of difficulty. Some people have excellent hunting right out the back door and live in areas where the genetics are superior. Other guys hunt in crappy genetic areas with high pressure. I think if we compare too much it definitely can ruin our own experience.

On the flipside there were a handful of guys that I somewhat looked up to when I first started out. They were my hunting heroes and I found them very inspiring. I definitely compared my self to them and worked hard in an attempt to get to their level. Little did I know that some of these guys had extra special circumstances but that’s OK. I think it’s cool when someone is starting out to have a mentor or someone they look up to if nothing else to show them what they are capable of. Nowadays, the guys that I look up to are just regular old Joe’s that are good family men and have limited time but still find a way to get it done. I try not to compare my self to anyone any longer but I do try to learn from other accomplished hunters.

Bingo! Couldnt have said it any better
Recurveguy

Unread postby Recurveguy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:48 am

I think the hunter has to decide that for themselves,would make it a lot more fun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”