Snow bucks, hounds, and never giving up...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Snow bucks, hounds, and never giving up...

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:52 am

upwind predator wrote:Hey Dan, what camera fluid head are you using in the video?

I'm not... for self filming I use a pistol grip pan head that release when you pull the trigger and locks where its aiming when you let go to shoot.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:50 am

A little more to add, is that I did some summer scouting last night. (search if you don't know what that entails) Don't forget about that option at this time of the year.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:07 am

That was my first thought too when I watched the video, how the heck can you hunt coyote that way?

Question: Assuming that the buck didn't hear or wind you, it was still basically just a guess which way he would leave the bedding, because you didn't have further intel on this particular buck? On a buck you have patterned more, you would have had a higher confidence in which way he would exit and set up accordingly? If you had more time to scout and set up that day, would you maybe have set up differently for that bed?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:11 am

I commend you on having a good attitude in light of all the hardships being thrown at you Dan. I had some similar hardships this past season on one particular place I hunt. For some reason I found it pretty easy and rewarding to just let it go and move on. In the past I would have gone a different route in which nothing good would come from it. Probably kept a few more hairs on my head from going grey as well. All good things will come in time to those who chose to take the high road.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:38 am

These videos are better than any kill video imo. The “how I approach” videos are the best info anyone can ask for. Great video, Dan. :clap:
“You have to pay your dues”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:41 am

Huntress13 wrote:That was my first thought too when I watched the video, how the heck can you hunt coyote that way?

Question: Assuming that the buck didn't hear or wind you, it was still basically just a guess which way he would leave the bedding, because you didn't have further intel on this particular buck? On a buck you have patterned more, you would have had a higher confidence in which way he would exit and set up accordingly? If you had more time to scout and set up that day, would you maybe have set up differently for that bed?

I know the area well and he most likely should of exited my way, or at least where I could see him. Sometimes it is a guess though.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:46 am

My neighbor hunts coyotes with dogs. I don't know exactly how he does it but he's pretty proficient.

Thank you for the video. I'm hopeful with the little time left you had you were able to get on something.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:26 am

Good job on the video Dan. I liked the content of staying focused and keep working until the bell rings

Also like footage of tracking down fresh prospects to arrow!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:48 pm

I really enjoyed this video, too. Thanks for making it. I would much rather see how successful hunters get to the kill than see them make the kill. Granted, you didnt make the kill so who knows how far you have to go, but you are getting close, I can feel it. Wishing you luck till your season ends.

Coyotes will circle back like rabbits when you are chasing them with hounds, but a lot of how they act when hounds are after them depends on the forest type and snow conditions. If its thick or of the snow is deep, they are more likely to circle. If they are circling, the shooter will sneak.in on the circles and wait. The circles can be huge, up to a mile in diameter.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:54 am

This snow is going to make things tough. It's like walking on packing peanuts.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am

One of the best videos I have watched. Love the fact that you pushed until you bumped deer. That video showed me a lot of being in the game or really being in the game. You really showed how its a game of inches. I know you can type it but seeing it like that clears a lot up. Thanks again for all the information you put out.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:57 pm

I think the biggest take away was that you need to push the envelope. You need to get a bit too close sometimes to learn where you need to be. It's usually a lot closer than you'd figure, but if you don't push the envelope and go over once in a while, you don't learn just how close you need to be.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”