Hunt Every Day, or Best Days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

Re: Hunt Every Day, or Best Days

Unread postby raisins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Thesouthpaw wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I hunted 40+ days this year during bow season, 90% run and gun, and never hunted the same tree more than twice. I guess I just listen to guys like Andy May and Joe Elsinger talk about only going in on "Kill Days", but I need to take into consideration that on the other days those guys are still out there scouting.

If you have so many spots then why sit at home during non prime days if you’d enjoy being in the woods? You always have a chance.

I don’t consider being in the woods as ever wasting time because I just enjoy it. It’s a values thing, and I’m sure being a bachelor is a big part of it.

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm

SplitG2 wrote:For me, it’s simple. If you wanna learn you gotta be out there. Hunt every possible chance. Some days are obviously better than others but I’ve shot deer on good days and bad days and I’ve shot deer in stands I never dreamed I’d ever shoot a deer out of. Even on the bad days I can find some spot to hunt to minimize or eliminate any damage I might cause. Wouldn’t rate these spots as “quality” spots but still spots that could possibly provide intel.

Quality setups are saved for the quality days. Otherwise if I’m able to hunt, I’m going regardless if it’s a good day or not and even if it means hunting a spot that pretty much takes me outta the game.

x2
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 am

raisins wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I hunted 40+ days this year during bow season, 90% run and gun, and never hunted the same tree more than twice. I guess I just listen to guys like Andy May and Joe Elsinger talk about only going in on "Kill Days", but I need to take into consideration that on the other days those guys are still out there scouting.

If you have so many spots then why sit at home during non prime days if you’d enjoy being in the woods? You always have a chance.

I don’t consider being in the woods as ever wasting time because I just enjoy it. It’s a values thing, and I’m sure being a bachelor is a big part of it.

Trust me, I don't consider it a waste, as I love hunting every chance I get. I guess the big thing is as understanding as my wife is, she gets a little irate by the end of October when I've hunted 25 out of 30 days. Like I said, I've seen and heard these really successful guys mainly hunting the "best" days in October, so I figured I would see what everyone else thought. Like me, everyone else seems to agree to hunt every chance possible.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 am

gsquared23 wrote:If you really have 20 different spots that you legitimately think you can kill a buck, by all means hunt those spots 40 times. If some of them are just a tree in the woods with no chances for success, then use that time to do some in season scouting or observation. Or read a book, or practice shooting your bow. But sitting in a tree without an actual chance to kill isn’t hunting, it’s time killing. Not my thing.

That's the thing, I don't necessarily think I have 20 different spots where I can legitimately kill a buck on any given day. I have a couple depending on the year and sign, that I will feel good about on certain weather conditions. Most of the "bad" weather days, it just seems that I hunt just to be out there. Not to say that I'm just bumbling through the woods, but I definitely don't feel quite as confident as I do when I go in on a "kill" day.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 am

Honestly, it sounds like you are probably on the right track. I hunt a few different pieces of public, but with two little ones at home and working on the road quite a bit during the week I try to pick the best weekend days to be sure I'm in the right stand on the right wind.

Our second was born Nov. 11, so I had a very limited season this year, and knew it from the outset. I hunted two early season Saturdays, with good wind on good sign on trails tight to bedding between the bedding and food. No encounters, but I was where I needed to be to run into a buck. My third public sit of the year was on October 27. Sat on a finger ridge between two saddles tight to some old clearcut bedding. It was also a perfect setup for me- Cold front, high barometric pressure, hunting the upper third line on a bench with bedding on either side of me. I spent the morning seeing several does, but at 930 I had a nice 2 and a half year old buck with nice mass come charging out of the saddle down the finger ridge after hitting my grunt tube. Couldn't get him stopped, but he trotted out 60 yards to my downwind side and stopped. One more grunt and he came back up the finger ridge, directly behind my tree and stopped at 35 yards. I took the shot, and choked. Hit him high and forward, above the shoulder and spine at the base of the neck. Followed blood for 600 yards, but he never bedded and stopped bleeding.

I hunted one more day this season, on Nov 24th on an invite from a friend. We hunted a piece of private I had never been to, but we setup with the weather in our favor, and he shot a mid 130's buck trailing 10 does through a thicket. After he shot and the does dispersed, I took two does from my stand across the farm.

In the past, I have hunted like you and sat or scouted every chance I could manage. I hunt big enough pieces that I can usually find a spot that works with what the conditions are that day. If you aren't blowing out your prime spots on the wrong wind, I'd probably stay with what you are doing.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:54 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:
raisins wrote:

Trust me, I don't consider it a waste, as I love hunting every chance I get. I guess the big thing is as understanding as my wife is, she gets a little irate by the end of October when I've hunted 25 out of 30 days. Like I said, I've seen and heard these really successful guys mainly hunting the "best" days in October, so I figured I would see what everyone else thought. Like me, everyone else seems to agree to hunt every chance possible.

When comparing yourself to others, just know that location matters a lot (state and whether private or public land) as far as how to learn from someone else's strategy.

And you have to take other hunters into account. If I wait for the best weather day, then squirrel hunters are going to walk through the buck bedding area I'm interested with 3 dogs and swinging a machete.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 am

Over the years I feel like sometimes my "best" days were only realized because I was in the woods.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:04 am

Andy and Joe didn't just start out only hunting a few "good" days. They put in plenty of time learning about what makes big bucks tick, in the areas they hunt. I'm sure I remember hearing them mention that they were in the woods every chance they could get. Earlier in their hunting "careers". To get to where they are at. What they can do with such little actual hunting time. Takes many seasons of experience, out there actually doing it. Putting in many hours, on as many days of the season as possible. You seem to be on the right track. Keep at it and you'll get there!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:31 am

Andy and joe have developed and found a method that works for them where they hunt. They are very good hunters and have their own methods. There is no right or wrong when it comes to hunting if you find something that works legally. They have the resumes and proof to support their success.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:49 am

stash59 wrote:

Andy and Joe didn't just start out only hunting a few "good" days. They put in plenty of time learning about what makes big bucks tick, in the areas they hunt. I'm sure I remember hearing them mention that they were in the woods every chance they could get. Earlier in their hunting "careers". To get to where they are at. What they can do with such little actual hunting time. Takes many seasons of experience, out there actually doing it. Putting in many hours, on as many days of the season as possible. You seem to be on the right track. Keep at it and you'll get there!!

This is true. I do remember hearing both say that they spent a ton of time in the woods when they were younger.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:
stash59 wrote:

This is true. I do remember hearing both say that they spent a ton of time in the woods when they were younger.

I'm also married, have a younger child, work 50-60 hours/wk, but still hunt 3-4 times/wk September-January.

My wife became cool with all of the work and hunting after a couple years of...

Being present when Im home. Staying off my phone/computer when my family is home and awake.

Take my wife on a date once/month, especially during hunting season.

Getting stuff done in the off-season... my take is I work on home projects as much as I hunt during the off-season. If my wife needs to make me a list, Im setting myself up for failure. She doesn't want to have to tell me what to do, and I wouldn't like that at all :lol:

Include my wife and daughter in hunting or scouting as much as they want to be.

Other hobbies (fishing, camping, etc,) are second or 3rd in the off season to everything above.

Even if I could "get it done" in only hunting the "good days", I wouldn't be satisfied with that. Id just hop on to the next state. Had to decide a while ago, what Im most passionate about, and create balance with family, work, and hunting- and keep the priorities in that order.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:36 am

Figured I would chime in on this one since it’s such a good topic. I have somewhat limited time to hunt so I absolutely save certain spots for when the conditions and timing during the season are optimal. There’s no sense in me diving into those areas when I have almost no chance of success. But like others have mentioned, it takes a long time to learn those spots and areas where timing is critical. When I am waiting for a certain area to heat up it’s not like I’m sitting on the couch at home, I’m out scouting looking for new opportunities In areas I’m not as familiar with trying to gain that knowledge, sitting observation stands trying to get eyes on the Buck I know might be in an area, still hunting through the fringes of bedding cover in an area , or diving into known buck bedding areas I scouted in the off season. All of these options do one of two things… 1. Provide me with Intel on where or where not to hunt or 2. Places me in a set up that Is a high-quality sit with a fairly good chance to kill something. Obviously some set ups are much better than others but each outing has its own purpose and it is either to kill or to learn, but never to just sit wishing or hoping blindly.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 am

Evanszach7 wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:
stash59 wrote:

I'm also married, have a younger child, work 50-60 hours/wk, but still hunt 3-4 times/wk September-January.

My wife became cool with all of the work and hunting after a couple years of...

Being present when Im home. Staying off my phone/computer when my family is home and awake.

Take my wife on a date once/month, especially during hunting season.

Getting stuff done in the off-season... my take is I work on home projects as much as I hunt during the off-season. If my wife needs to make me a list, Im setting myself up for failure. She doesn't want to have to tell me what to do, and I wouldn't like that at all :lol:

Include my wife and daughter in hunting or scouting as much as they want to be.

Great advice! Thanks for commenting.

Other hobbies (fishing, camping, etc,) are second or 3rd in the off season to everything above.

Even if I could "get it done" in only hunting the "good days", I wouldn't be satisfied with that. Id just hop on to the next state. Had to decide a while ago, what Im most passionate about, and create balance with family, work, and hunting- and keep the priorities in that order.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:23 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Figured I would chime in on this one since it’s such a good topic. I have somewhat limited time to hunt so I absolutely save certain spots for when the conditions and timing during the season are optimal. There’s no sense in me diving into those areas when I have almost no chance of success. But like others have mentioned, it takes a long time to learn those spots and areas where timing is critical. When I am waiting for a certain area to heat up it’s not like I’m sitting on the couch at home, I’m out scouting looking for new opportunities In areas I’m not as familiar with trying to gain that knowledge, sitting observation stands trying to get eyes on the Buck I know might be in an area, still hunting through the fringes of bedding cover in an area , or diving into known buck bedding areas I scouted in the off season. All of these options do one of two things… 1. Provide me with Intel on where or where not to hunt or 2. Places me in a set up that Is a high-quality sit with a fairly good chance to kill something. Obviously some set ups are much better than others but each outing has its own purpose and it is either to kill or to learn, but never to just sit wishing or hoping blindly.

Good stuff. I am coming to terms that on those bad days, I just need to use that time for scouting, instead of sitting in a tree when i have very little chance of catching one in the daylight.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 am

Every day you can. Every spot has ideal conditions. I ask myself, what are the conditions today, and what spots do I have that work for those conditions? If there are more than one spot, I pick the one I think is the best spot. I actually use a spreadsheet to help me remember, comes from being kind of analytical about stuff. Makes the decision easier for me.

Now if I only had a few spots, I might change how I answer. If a spot was a real doozy, I would let it rest until I had the right conditions. If it was mediocre, I would hunt it the best way I could for the current conditions in hope that I could squeeze another hunt or two out of it when I got the right conditions for it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”