The New Hunting Industry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdw
500 Club

Re: The New Hunting Industry

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:45 am

Dewey wrote:
NorthStar wrote:Not disagreeing with you and I feel like this topic is still being misunderstood. Public land hunting is great! Most content and products designed for the mobile hunter right now are great! All I am saying is that the old hunting industry is catching on to this new fad and as a result, I need to start applying a new level of caution. Some of the new podcasts and social media content I have been reviewing lately have me believing that people are trying to exploit this trend.

Absolutely. It's still pretty easy to separate the BS from the legitimate stuff though. I agree that people need to be aware.

IMO the hunting industry as a whole has always been more concerned with making $$$ than helping people be more successful hunters.
New hunters are more likely to buy into the more/better stuff you have the better the odds of being successful, which is not the case.

Thankfully Dan and others on this site have been teaching people what to do to put themselves in the game.
IMO serious public land hunters are more likely than most to know all you “need” is determination, the capacity pay attention and learn and a bow or gun.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:13 am

Northstar, yes I've seen a few articles, YT vids of mobile hunting wanna be's. So yes some new hunters may get duped by them. But alot folks seeing that content. Will become curious and want more/better knowledge on this subject. And eventually find Dan or THP. The ones that get duped will probably not have been able to cut it anyway. Think about how and why you found/stuck with the Beast. For me it was always trying to learn more/get better at deer hunting. So those with a drive to keep learning more. Should be able to weed through the garbage!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:22 am

stash59 wrote:Northstar, yes I've seen a few articles, YT vids of mobile hunting wanna be's. So yes some new hunters may get duped by them. But alot folks seeing that content. Will become curious and want more/better knowledge on this subject. And eventually find Dan or THP. The ones that get duped will probably not have been able to cut it anyway. Think about how and why you found/stuck with the Beast. For me it was always trying to learn more/get better at deer hunting. So those with a drive to keep learning more. Should be able to weed through the garbage!

Well said!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:52 am

Just gonna be honest..... I’m kinda torn with the movement. What’s good for the hunting world and what’s good for me doesn’t always go hand in hand.

I am perfectly fine with guys challenging themselves and leaning toward the public or knocking on doors route. But sadly, don’t see any difference atleast in my area. Lease costs certainly haven’t lowered in cost. Canned hunts get more abundant and pricey each year. In all honesty the only thing I honestly witnessed is guys hunting high dollar private who are normally used to being a nobody with avg 140”-150” bucks. Now claiming there roughing it “hunting public” when it’s not the case at all.

While I personally don’t care and can smell crap when I step in it. I sadly feel newcomers expect false expectations. Much YouTube and tv are no diff than Sasquatch or Monster hunters with “real world footage”
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:11 am

What blows my mind is all the new YouTube wanna be stars that kick out content that is mostly junk.

Then they say something on the lines of.
This is how you....
Followed by
First bow kill. Yay!
First public kill. Yay! Look at me.

Most of these self filmers would be best served racking up some kills before self proclaiming their greatness and telling us how's things are done...
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:22 am

To comment on YouTube. YouTube is YouTube.

Everyone’s there to make a quick dollar.

I’m huge into fitness as well. You should see all the fitness experts. With so many I’m surprised Americans are still fat and overweight. :whistle:

This stuff is everywhere it just depends on what your hobbies are.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Is the new industry tethrd and beast gear? It's the old industry just selling us new crap. We aren't being exploited; in fact, I think these companies are catering to us. The "old hunting industry" has the market share and with the new trend of mobile setups, big business is going to gobble up that market share too. How many mobile setups does a guy need? As for marketing, it is pretty easy to go around acting like a parrot spouting off buzzwords like "buck bed" "public land" "light weight" etc.. We get sucked in on worse marketing schemes every day. At least what they are repeating might hold some truth. Regardless there's a group of fellas out there who knew what they were doing when they rushed their junk mobile stand to market before anyone else...market share %
I don't know who was first to try hunting buck beds and using the wind and thermals to put mature bucks on the ground. I think it was something known in very small circles for a long time. Most people know a tight-lipped public land buck-slayer from back in the day who never spilled the beans on how he did it. I assume a few guys took it to the grave and a few told their secrets. Now the cat's out the bag and everyone who is someone in the whitetail woods is trying to do it. A lot of hunters may grasp it better than others might think. In the event they do, these tactics might not work like they used to. Something new might have to come about. Just a thought.
Public lands need interest from the people. If no specific large group has an interest in the land, in light of the recent talk of land transfers to privatized parties, I welcome all folks to hunt public land. We are all bound together as bowhunters on the public. When it comes time to defend what's ours I don't like the idea of being the only one who cares about a piece property. Some folks will quit, but I would like to see a high retention rate from this trend. If the public gets crowded I can swallow my pride and still hunt the buck I am after. If someone else arrows him I'll shake their hand. As for non-resident tags, mine can be bought OTC and I hunt OTC states if it bothers someone that I come to hunt their state I encourage them to pay 130$ to come to hunt my state to spite me.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:08 am

I would say there has definitely been a rise in public land hunting over the last couple years due to media outlets and such. But no matter how many podcasts listened to, videos watched, products you have ect. ect. you still have to go out there yourself and put in the work and get it done! I agree with the others saying people will try and quickly realize it's not as easy as a podcast or video made it seem. I think another reason there's a public land increase is it's just plain hard to find access to hunt private anymore . Atleast where I live in Ohio.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:45 am

Anyone that blindly follows this month's "hero" is just a follower. They usually end up chasing their own tails and spending $$.

I enjoy reading and listening to all ends of the spectrum. I think if you listen close, even a new hunter can teach you. My non hunting wife has taught me to stop over thinking it. Dan and others have taught me how to locate bedding quicker in different terrain. My close friend has taught me how not to hunt. The list goes on and on. Everyone can teach you something, sometimes the lesson is what not to do.

As far as it gaining in popularity i think it will be short lived. Going mobile takes effort even if your not good at it. When these new guys don't have any real understanding their success rate will be low. They will end up discouraged and eventually go back to their ladder stands or couches. It's not very often to have instant gratification on public land. I do hope it goes another way because we need more hunters so we can have the power to keep public land public.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:22 am

Well said treeroot
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:27 am

In my area, water is NOT an issue. I think any outdoorsman is issued hip/chest waders at birth lol. Lots of flooded river bottoms and we just get used to it.

- Snakes/mosquitoes in the early season are a major deterrent
- duck season (60+ days) significantly limits bow hunters
- 1.5 mile walks out in the dark, and thoughts of 'the boogie man' limit folks
- fatigue in the late season is a major deterrent

I say the more the merrier, as it hopefully will drive more traffic and attention to our public lands. I'm confident I find spots annually that other humans haven't been in decades. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's what I believe. Or maybe I'm naive, but negative thoughts along with the other four listed above and I might never get out lol.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:59 am

RookieBeast2019 wrote:To comment on YouTube. YouTube is YouTube.

Everyone’s there to make a quick dollar.

I’m huge into fitness as well. You should see all the fitness experts. With so many I’m surprised Americans are still fat and overweight. :whistle:

This stuff is everywhere it just depends on what your hobbies are.

Bingo! Name any hobby, and you can find a TON of YouTubers trying to cash in on it.

Someone else said they had actually seen less public land pressure this past season in their area, and I would agree with that for the primary areas that I frequent as well.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:16 am

I think people spend to much time worrying about what other people are doing instead of doing their own thing.

Read/watch the content you wanna watch and hunt how you wanna hunt. There will always be good and bad in any industry and it will follow trends.

There is enough division throughout, the idea is to grow the sport not section it off based on which hunting style you use or weapon you hunt with.

Never be so closed minded that you can't learn from everything though, even the glamorized TV shows have something we can pick up on from time to time.

When I first started hunting it was just that...........HUNTING. didn't matter how you did it, what your goals were or with what weapon.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:37 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Change is constant in life. Public hunting is cool again. I credit dan for energizing this movement.

With hunter numbers on decline, I find it exciting. Let the games begin

Agreed!
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:04 am

Nmann707 wrote:I agree Northstar. I also agree it takes very little time to separate the BS and exploiters from the true grits. I am worried about the younger FB beasts. Seems like the FB page is getting polluted a bit with sales people, click seekers and self promoters. That’s why I’m jumping off FB and will stick to the forum. Seems to be a much more mature, experienced and cautionary crew here.

Agree with this here! A couple months ago I started getting THB FB feed and instantly thought "what?" Answers to questions that totally contradict what Dan's videos and this forum teach. Im new myself and still haven't put it all together yet.......

BUT, I take everything with skepticism at first. Once I found this forum, I lurked for awhile. Reading, comparing to other sources of info, and just running through my head if the stuff I see here makes sense. This is by far the most useful source for information that is relevant to me that I feel I can see actual comparisons in the field with.

Northstar, I definently agree with what you are saying about caution. I am always looking for additional sources of info to help further my success. I suppose if you have any doubts, here is the place to post and ask about if it is legitimate.

I hope the additional hype in this type of hunting will just continue to benefit us by giving us more of the things we want. Just have to weed out the things we don't.

I kind of feel like "Squirrel".... Uhhh what was I saying in my post? Hope I didn't get turned in too many directions there! :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”