Help needed with finding a place to age a buck by the teeth

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

feutza
500 Club

Help needed with finding a place to age a buck by the teeth

Unread postby feutza » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 am

Hey guys. I am wondering if any of you guys know where I can send or take my lower jaw off my buck to have them cut the teeth to age it. I live in dodge county Wisconsin so if their is somewhere close or where I could ship it I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you in advance

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Help needed with finding a place to age a buck by the teeth

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am

Go to deerage.com. all the info you need for them is right there. That reminds me I have several sets I need to send out.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 am

IDK what it's like where you're at, but here in MA the check stations are staffed by biologists working for Mass Wildlife. They estimate it's age as part of the check process. So maybe check in person as opposed to online?
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm

I assume you're looking for cementum aging. I think a few guys on here have used Matsons lab before.

https://matsonslab.com/the-science/cementum-aging/
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:25 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:IDK what it's like where you're at, but here in MA the check stations are staffed by biologists working for Mass Wildlife. They estimate it's age as part of the check process. So maybe check in person as opposed to online?

That's just an estimate. This guy wants to know exactly. In order to do that you need to send the teeth in.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am

Someone here did a "test" with one of those companies and deer he knew the age or had a good idea.....

They were wrong more then enough times that I would probably save my money.

Pretty certain that was posted within the last couple months or brought back to the top. Can't remember who it was...
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:IDK what it's like where you're at, but here in MA the check stations are staffed by biologists working for Mass Wildlife. They estimate it's age as part of the check process. So maybe check in person as opposed to online?

I wouldnt trust what they say at all, a buddy of mine who's a member here shot a buck that we know for sure was 4.5 and the dnr check person told him it was 2.5 when they looked at the lower jaw. You could get a better idea by aging it yourself, its pretty easy to tell 1, 2, 3 yo 4+ I'd say is harder to nail it down doing it on your own
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:43 am

jmaas07 wrote:

I wouldnt trust what they say at all, a buddy of mine who's a member here shot a buck that we know for sure was 4.5 and the dnr check person told him it was 2.5 when they looked at the lower jaw. You could get a better idea by aging it yourself, its pretty easy to tell 1, 2, 3 yo 4+ I'd say is harder to nail it down doing it on your own

I don't know what state that was in. In MA all of our check stations are staffed by trained biologists carrying at least a BA in wildlife biology. Maybe it's different there and the folks aren't educated, etc? IDK - just wondering how they could be so wrong.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:55 am

I ain’t no deer aging expert but I’ve been fortunate enough to kill a few pretty old bucks and I just simply don’t believe that all can be accurately judged on their age by their teeth, maybe some but not all. There’s just too many variables when it comes to the health of the deer and their diet.

If you were to kill two 6 year old bucks, one that just simply didn’t move much and lived most of his life on browse and native vegetation and very little Ag and the other lived his life on a whole lot of Ag and very little browse, there will be a difference in tooth ware. I’ve seen it.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:57 am

I used deerage.com twice in the past and have been satisfied with their service. Also, you only send the two middle incisor teeth and not the entire jaw.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”