NDA CWD video

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

NDA CWD video

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 am

Thought I'd share this. Doesn't really answer alot. And seems like propaganda and fear mongering to me!! Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqX9Fe-sXk

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: NDA CWD video

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 am

I guess CWD is/has become one of those Rorschach tests, you see what you want to see. I certainly don't want to see it proliferate in my neck of the woods and I'm glad there are smart people working on solutions and I hope they come up with something.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:18 am

elk yinzer wrote:I guess CWD is/has become one of those Rorschach tests, you see what you want to see. I certainly don't want to see it proliferate in my neck of the woods and I'm glad there are smart people working on solutions and I hope they come up with something.

I agree. It's a nasty disease and I don't want to see it exterminate the deer/cervid herds. But they mentioned that it's been found in Europe and Asia. How did it get there? How long has it been there? How long has it been here? Nobody knows for sure!!

To me, if when you actually finally test for it somewhere in the world. And you find it. It's probably been around for a long, long while. Sometimes when man interferes with nature. Even with good intentions. We mess things up and make them worse!!

If eradicating most of the deer herds is what will cure CWD. Then why not just let it run it's course. Likely there'd be deer with genetics to fight it. That would survive to pass those genes on. Most of these scientists studying this are evolutionists. So why are they taking the stance they are? Isn't survival of the most fit what is best?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:37 am

What seems weird to me is they want to exterminate the deer population in these areas. Prions stay in the soil and plants for longer than they know. So what will stop new deer from picking this up ?
Also if a deer dies and coyotes, crows, vultures get on the gut pile or body won't they spread prions to new areas farther away?

They also claim bucks have it more than doe but they want all deer shot?
They also claim it's always fatal in deer. But ask them to see a deer that died from it and they don't have any answer's. It's not like blue tongue or EHD.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:47 am

JShea wrote:What seems weird to me is they want to exterminate the deer population in these areas. Prions stay in the soil and plants for longer than they know. So what will stop new deer from picking this up ?
Also if a deer dies and coyotes, crows, vultures get on the gut pile or body won't they spread prions to new areas farther away?

They also claim it's always fatal in deer. But ask them to see a deer that died from it and they don't have any answer's. It's not like blue tongue or EHD.

These are all great observations. I get annoyed by people that claim to know everything about the disease yet have nothing to back up claims they make. Fact is we have no answer for eliminating or even slowing down CWD. If the “experts” figured it out we wouldn’t even be talking about it anymore some 50 years later since it was first discovered.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:32 am

Dewey wrote:
JShea wrote:What seems weird to me is they want to exterminate the deer population in these areas. Prions stay in the soil and plants for longer than they know. So what will stop new deer from picking this up ?

These are all great observations. I get annoyed by people that claim to know everything about the disease yet have nothing to back up claims they make. Fact is we have no answer for eliminating or even slowing down CWD. If the “experts” figured it out we wouldn’t even be talking about it anymore some 50 years later since it was first discovered.

I suspect it's been around a long time.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:27 am

Dewey wrote:

This is what blows my mind, their new answer to how to stop CWD from destroying the whole deer herd, is to kill the entire deer herd. :doh: how does that make any sense whatsoever. I guess I’m just too dumb.
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:52 am

I'd be curious to see the evidence they have showing bucks are more susceptible to CWD than does. Why is that? Bucks eat, sleep, and drink where does eat, sleep and drink. Makes no sense to me.

Also, how are they going to prevent these CWD positive bucks from breeding does and potentially passing the disease along? Them trying to "contain" this disease is a joke.....yearling bucks are kicked out by their mothers each year and their instinct tells them to relocate far away to prevent incest. If the yearling buck has CWD, CWD is now in a new area. Almost forgot to mention, the range of a buck during the rut can be miles.....can't prevent him from running around breeding does in the next county.

The steps they are taking to contain the disease will not and are not working. CWD will always be around in small concentrated numbers around the country with outliers here and there.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm

stash59 wrote:
elk yinzer wrote:I guess CWD is/has become one of those Rorschach tests, you see what you want to see. I certainly don't want to see it proliferate in my neck of the woods and I'm glad there are smart people working on solutions and I hope they come up with something.

I agree. It's a nasty disease and I don't want to see it exterminate the deer/cervid herds. But they mentioned that it's been found in Europe and Asia. How did it get there? How long has it been there? How long has it been here? Nobody knows for sure!!

To me, if when you actually finally test for it somewhere in the world. And you find it. It's probably been around for a long, long while. Sometimes when man interferes with nature. Even with good intentions. We mess things up and make them worse!!

If eradicating most of the deer herds is what will cure CWD. Then why not just let it run it's course. Likely there'd be deer with genetics to fight it. That would survive to pass those genes on. Most of these scientists studying this are evolutionists. So why are they taking the stance they are? Isn't survival of the most fit what is best?

Well said Stash.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:43 am

stash59 wrote:

I don't think the most significant threat is extinction of deer. I believe the most significant threat is the fact that prions are present in water, soil, plants...agriculture. Imagine the hysteria and economic impact if CWD jumps to humans, even once.

I don't doubt that CWD existed before 1960. Probably did somewhere. There is irrefutable scientific evidence of its spread from the core outbreak in Colorado.

The eradication efforts have worked in cases where it has been caught early enough in isolated areas. I think common sense tells us you reach a critical mass where eradication is impossible. Probably then it is better to hope resistance rates grow in the population. As short as deer live in the wild that could take hundreds of years. If that theory even flies at all because I am fairly certain a high % of deer are procreating before they reach old enough age to succumb to CWD.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:07 am

Great post. Biologist , game wardens know all that you posted.

If you want to know why this is happening read the Kjv Bible friend it explains it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 am

In the very beginning of the clip, the first speaker claims other states have kept the infection rate at or under 2%, what states are these? I don't believe any state that's had it for a reasonable amount of time has done anything to stop its increased prevalence and if there are, what are they doing?
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 am

purebowhunting wrote:In the very beginning of the clip, the first speaker claims other states have kept the infection rate at or under 2%, what states are these? I don't believe any state that's had it for a reasonable amount of time has done anything to stop its increased prevalence and if there are, what are they doing?

Sure as heck ain't Arkansas.

Between 2016 & 2017 there was 45% decrease in the number of deer testing positive.

Between 2017 & 2018 there was a 27% decrease. This is when the AGFC thought their rules and regulations were actually working.....

Between 2018 & 2019 there was 39% increase.

Between 2019 & 2020 there has been a 4% increase.

Those numbers sound really bad but the reality of it is that only 800 deer have tested positive for CWD in Arkansas since 2016.

The trend shows it's getting slightly worse than better so why keep enforcing these dumb rules/regulations? Moral of the story is you can stop the disease from spreading and it's nothing close to the crisis the AGFC has portrayed it as.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:22 am

JShea wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I suspect it's been around a long time.

Been around since they started looking for it and will be here until they stop looking for it
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:40 am

stash59 wrote:Thought I'd share this. Doesn't really answer alot. And seems like propaganda and fear mongering to me!! Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHqX9Fe-sXk

I just got around to actually watching the full 15 minute clip....I will start by saying they tried to make the vibe of the entire video similar to the pet adoption commercials you see on TV....."these animals need your help....they will all die without ever feeling loved". Complete garbage.

With every propaganda video released about CWD they all have one thing in common......they completely contradict themselves.

The lady starts the video with this, "Our deer are at crossroads. A threat arrived in Pennsylvania in 2012 that is always fatal".

She is acting like the deer are trying to escape the boogieman and have nowhere to hide.

Later in the video they say,"Buck infection rates are above 50% in Wisconsin and the doe infection rate is at 35%".

In each state throughout the US where CWD has been found, the Game and Fish agencies seem to agree that CWD is more prevalent in bucks; therefore, antler restrictions need to be eliminated. In the video, they reference Wisconsin and the Wisconsin DNR several times so I will use a study that was performed in Wisconsin in 2002 by Dr. Mike Samuel, Lead CWD Researcher, with USGS Cooperative Wildlife Research Center. He states in his findings, "For yearling deer, we found CWD at equal levels in male and female yearlings, 3.2 percent and 3.6 percent, respectively."

So really they find it slightly more in yearling does vs yearling bucks.

Two more quotes from the video:
"CWD is actively passed on by bodily fluids (urine, saliva) and can be picked up by healthy deer for years and likely decades"
"CWD is spread from deer to deer either directly through contact or indirectly through digestion or inhalation of the prion in plants/dirt/etc."

Anybody with common sense, would assume these yearling deer are contracting the disease from their mother's soon after birth. Mother's groom their fawns constantly, fawns eat with their mother, fawns drink with their mother, etc. That is why I believe Dr. Mike Samuel found CWD equally in both yearling does and bucks. If this is the case, how are buck infection rates above 50% and doe infection rates at 35%? What happened to all the yearling does that tested positive? Something doesn't make sense there.

The same lady says in the video, "If we do nothing in Pennsylvania, up to half of all deer will be infected".

What??? Somebody tell the lady to look at the states where CWD has been the longest and is most prevalent like Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin, etc. Not remotely close to 50% of the deer herd is infected.

Another video quote: "We think the average incubation period (when the deer is infected with CWD to the time it dies) is about 2 years"

I looked at several different sources online and the average lifespan of a free-ranging whitetail is 4.5 years. So if a fawn contracts CWD at birth, the disease will only cut two years off of it's average lifespan. So what if a 3.5 year old buck gets CWD.....he is only expected to live another year anyways. It will take two years or more for CWD to kill him, meaning he will more than likely die from natural causes like predators or being killed by a hunter. You get my point...

Another quote: "CWD positive deer are more susceptible to predation and car collision"

Where did they get this nonsense data from?? More susceptible to get hit by a car?? Apparently, all CWD positive deer hang out by the roads. Let the predators kill the sick ones....that's natures way of taking out the weak. Again, I'd like to see the data they have to back up both these bogus claims.

Last quote: "Hunter opposition to the disease is the cause of the spread in Wisconsin between 2005 & 2018"

It would only make sense for them to throw the blame on the hunters because they don't have any evidence to support their rules/regulations are working. "CWD would not spread if the hunters would listen to us and abide by the rules and regulations we put in place".....freakin' joke.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”