Traditional Archery Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moog5050
500 Club

Re: Traditional Archery Hunting

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:25 am

Good advice above. Start with something in the 30-35lb range at your DL until you get your form down. Then jump to 45-55. I like hunting with 50-55lbs. I also recommend finding some sort of aiming system whether it be gap, fixed crawl, etc. I shoot gap off riser and have had a good success rate right from the time I started hunting with a trad bow. while some are great with pure instinctive shooting, I like the ability to have some reference when aiming to avoid buck fever at the big moment.

The sage is a good starter bow and one that you may never choose to upgrade. But when you do, pick one bow and stick with it. Don't get on the bow merry go round like I did. After owning nearly all of the "top" bows from Schafer, blacktail, blackwidow, morrison and covert (among others), I ended up selling them all and going back to my first custom, a black widow PCHX. They all did the job but focusing on one bow just makes it easier. And frankly, none of them will kill deer any more dead than the other. Its all personal preference.

Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 am

I began transitioning to the trad bow a few years ago and haven't looked back, I absolutely love it. In fact my compound has been in its case for about 2 years now. There are some very experienced trad guys on here. DaveT and Boogieman definitely know what they're talking about.

If you live in northern Ohio I would HIGHLY recommend attending the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous in northcentral PA, which is always the last weekend in July (Thursday-Sunday) at Denton Hill State Park. I go every year. There are several 3D courses, some of the best bow makers in the country, and anything you can imagine in the world of traditional archery. There will be literally thousands of new and used bows for you to test drive at this event. Also a blanket sale each evening.

https://archeryfestivals.com/etar/

If you're interested in attending PM me, I can point you in the right direction of cabins and campgrounds in the area.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 am

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 am

feel free to PM me anytime, next to shooting big bucks, trad archery is my favorite topic :)
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:33 am

Shooting a stickbow is dynamic. You want to be pushing and pulling the whole time. You can’t relax like a compound with a back wall and let off. Most bad shots I see usually have really poor form and most shoot to fast.I shoot my trad bows with a sight picture just like a compound except I’m aiming my arrow. I lock in my sight picture then slowing pull pull pull till my fingers release in surprise or subconsciously. You have to develop a system that works for you. I’ve had a lot of trial and error the last 20 years. Try both the split finger and 3 fingers under release. See what feels best to you.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:36 am

moog5050 wrote:Good advice above. Start with something in the 30-35lb range at your DL until you get your form down. Then jump to 45-55. I like hunting with 50-55lbs. I also recommend finding some sort of aiming system whether it be gap, fixed crawl, etc. I shoot gap off riser and have had a good success rate right from the time I started hunting with a trad bow. while some are great with pure instinctive shooting, I like the ability to have some reference when aiming to avoid buck fever at the big moment.

The sage is a good starter bow and one that you may never choose to upgrade. But when you do, pick one bow and stick with it. Don't get on the bow merry go round like I did. After owning nearly all of the "top" bows from Schafer, blacktail, blackwidow, morrison and covert (among others), I ended up selling them all and going back to my first custom, a black widow PCHX. They all did the job but focusing on one bow just makes it easier. And frankly, none of them will kill deer any more dead than the other. Its all personal preference.

All new lingo to me but I understand what your saying about finding an aiming system that works for me. Yea I'm hoping I can find a good bow that fits me well off the bat and just stick with it! Yea it's funny I've been using the same compound bow now for 12 years I kept telling people hey it still works! I was on the kick when I was younger thinking I needed a new bow every year man if I could have back that money I blew hahaha :think:
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 am

Josh_S wrote:I began transitioning to the trad bow a few years ago and haven't looked back, I absolutely love it. In fact my compound has been in its case for about 2 years now. There are some very experienced trad guys on here. DaveT and Boogieman definitely know what they're talking about.

If you live in northern Ohio I would HIGHLY recommend attending the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous in northcentral PA, which is always the last weekend in July (Thursday-Sunday) at Denton Hill State Park. I go every year. There are several 3D courses, some of the best bow makers in the country, and anything you can imagine in the world of traditional archery. There will be literally thousands of new and used bows for you to test drive at this event. Also a blanket sale each evening.

https://archeryfestivals.com/etar/

If you're interested in attending PM me, I can point you in the right direction of cabins and campgrounds in the area.

Hey Josh thanks for the info on the show close to me ! That sounds like a good time and opportunity to see some of the different bows and maybe even get to shoot them! July is a busy time of year with work but I'd love to try to make it I'll remember u if I do thanks so much!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:42 am

Hawthorne wrote:Shooting a stickbow is dynamic. You want to be pushing and pulling the whole time. You can’t relax like a compound with a back wall and let off. Most bad shots I see usually have really poor form and most shoot to fast.I shoot my trad bows with a sight picture just like a compound except I’m aiming my arrow. I lock in my sight picture then slowing pull pull pull till my fingers release in surprise or subconsciously. You have to develop a system that works for you. I’ve had a lot of trial and error the last 20 years. Try both the split finger and 3 fingers under release. See what feels best to you.

The little bit of experience I have with a recurve is bowfishing. We set up recurves to bowfish off a boat we made. It was alot of snapshooting I guess u could say kinda instinctively. Definetly fast which was not good practice as u say lol So I'll have to slow down find good form for sure! I'm sure there will be plenty of trial and error figuring it all out but I think there would be nothing like taking a good buck with traditional equipment!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:55 am

Clay Hayes is another YTer I follow. He builds selfbows and sinew backed bows. But has a few videos on shooting. A couple on the different styles... gap, instinctive, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-eicAkiRdGLguiS1dS_N9Q

I know we've all suggested alot of content to go through. But it'll all help in the long run. I wish I would have had it all way back when I got back into trad. I wouldn't have given up on it when I did. I hope my health will get back to where I can apply alot I've learned recently. And go back to trad.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 pm

stash59 wrote:Clay Hayes is another YTer I follow. He builds selfbows and sinew backed bows. But has a few videos on shooting. A couple on the different styles... gap, instinctive, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-eicAkiRdGLguiS1dS_N9Q

I know we've all suggested alot of content to go through. But it'll all help in the long run. I wish I would have had it all way back when I got back into trad. I wouldn't have given up on it when I did. I hope my health will get back to where I can apply alot I've learned recently. And go back to trad.

Yea I stumbled across him on youtube when I was researching a little. Pretty impressive he makes self made bows then hunts with them! I can't thank you guys enough for all the content shared I will definitely utilize it all!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”