The New Hunting Industry

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

The New Hunting Industry

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 am

I think most of us can agree that watching a show or reading a magazine with stories that involve hunters accessing their Redneck blind via their ATV on highly managed land and shooting a trophy whitetail is an unrealistic experience for most hunters. And even though these types of hunts are still being produced, the audience is starting to move away and gravitate towards content that they can relate to. Obviously, the hunting industry is taking notice and the market is adapting to this trend. We now have so many different outlets for the "everyday hunter" to choose from. Hunting podcasts and YouTube videos designed for the mobile public land hunter are becoming a dime a dozen and even old forms of publications like magazines, are starting to feature articles about public land hunts. Don't get me wrong here, I am grateful for this shift and I am personally benefiting from the knowledge being shared, but I am starting to apply caution when searching for new outlets when conducting my research. Is it possible that the hunting industry is going to make a major shift from hunting the game farms to exploit the recent public land hunting boom?

Lets look at the ATA show as an example. It would interesting to compare the products from 5-10 years ago to the products offered at this same trade show today? You would be hard pressed to find a booth at this years ATA that didn't cater to the mobile hunter. Or how about the podcast where the guest host that writes for a hunting publication reviews all the successes of last years bow hunting season? You know, the one about the guy who purchased 5 out of state tags and took 2 months off of work....how do we relate to experiences like this? I am even now starting to hear from the "new hunting industry" complain about states that regulate out of state tags because it hinders them from self filming their hunting trips and/or writing about them. What about the people that live in these states and hunt these public lands? Should their concerns not matter?

I know this might sound like a lot of whining and complaining but that is not my intent. In fact, I believe most of the new content out there right now is genuine and is meant to help the everyday hunter. And I also believe in the free market and if there is money to be made people will adjust to this accordingly. My only point is that there seems to be a shift in the hunting industry to exploit the mobile hunter and I am starting to find myself questioning the motives behind some of this new content. Thoughts?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
SEMObowhunter

Re: The New Hunting Industry

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:37 am

Like everything else, loose lips sink ships, and we are our own worst enemy. We will see an increase in pressure on public land that we may have once had to ourself.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:00 am

We will see more people but a majority will figure out soon enough that it’s far from easy and will give up pretty quickly. I see it every single year even here on the Beast. Some come out of the gate strong and then fade off very quickly. Some just aren’t cut out for the huge amounts of work it takes and that’s perfectly fine. Hunt how you want and don’t worry about following current fads. Too many guys spend way too much time trying to copy the actions of others. Be your own hunter. Do whatever makes it fun for you and don’t worry what others think.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:25 am

I’m not too worried. Especially bow hunting. People are too lazy and the big tracts of public land or even the small nasty public pieces intimidate a lot of people. It’s nuts how many grown men and women refuse to walk in the dark, in the woods/marsh. I’m not worried about these hunters at all. They won’t bother me. The close to the road honey holes could suffer I guess.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:30 am

Hopefully with public land hunting becoming more popular, states will be able to obtain more public lands eventually. As more and more people are priced out of private land, we hopefully can gain a bigger voice pulling for our public lands.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:57 am

One thing cool is the THP videos are available on Prime! Just found that out last night!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 am

I agree with Dewey that this too will be a fad that goes away after awhile, quicker for some than others. It’s a great time to be a young hunter with all of the knowledge available at your fingertips. Wish I knew this stuff 30 years ago when I had more stamina! I’ll keep pushing at my pace anyway and enjoying every day!
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 am

mheichelbech wrote:One thing cool is the THP videos are available on Prime! Just found that out last night!

There are surprisingly quite a few hunting shows on Prime these days.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:55 am

I'm not worried about it either. Like dewey said people will fade away once they figure out how much work goes into it. People want instant gratification these days and this type of hunting doesnt just click overnight, it takes years of experience.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:13 am

Racks&Beards wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:One thing cool is the THP videos are available on Prime! Just found that out last night!

I think the ones on prime are the old episodes. Nothing from the last year or two. At least I think it was that way the last I looked.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:49 am

cspot wrote:
Racks&Beards wrote:

I think the ones on prime are the old episodes. Nothing from the last year or two. At least I think it was that way the last I looked.

I couldn't tell ya. I'm subscribed to THP, and other shows on youtube so I get the notifications when new videos are posted. I just watch them on the youtube app on my tv at home. I typed in "hunting" in the search on Prime TV a while back, and there is way more stuff on there than I expected. Raised Hunting, Solo Hunter, Bowhunt or Die are a few that I can remember, but there were a lot. I pretty much only watch hunting on youtube or carbon TV.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 am

Change is constant in life. Public hunting is cool again. I credit dan for energizing this movement.

With hunter numbers on decline, I find it exciting. Let the games begin
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:20 am

hunting_dad wrote:I agree with Dewey that this too will be a fad that goes away after awhile, quicker for some than others. It’s a great time to be a young hunter with all of the knowledge available at your fingertips. Wish I knew this stuff 30 years ago when I had more stamina! I’ll keep pushing at my pace anyway and enjoying every day!

Ain’t that the truth! Unfortunately I am not the type of hunter or fisherman who can figure things out like he did...back in my teens and 20s I didn’t know anything about the wind, bedding, any of it. The only thing I could figure out is that neither the deer or me like skunk cover scent!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am

I do think Dan pretty much fathered the current movement. IDK that groups like THP would even be a thing absent from this place and Dan's YouTube work.

Public land may be cool again, but - I still see the sam things Dan talks about.. Throw in a little water, some deep muck and 99% of the hunters get left behind. One thing I have found though, distance alone doesn't seem to be enough anymore to get away from the pressure.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:32 pm

I think the interest in public land hunting coincides with technology advances (internet, youtube, social media). 10 years ago guys who wanted to do something like THP or Dan didn't have the medium to reach lots of people. Now you don't have to have a tv show to have a voice. I think it's great. The industry took notice, which I think for the most part is a good thing. More & better equipment options from more companies, more applicable information for public land tactics. Guys like Dan & THP out there showing it can be done is going to encourage a lot of guys to get out there and try. But reading/watching about public land hunting and doing it are two separate things. It's always going to be tough. Despite the public land hunting popularity spike, I have actually seen less hunters on the public I hunt this season than I have in seasons past.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”