My 2019 Season

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Re: My 2019 Season

Unread postby krent12 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:22 am

Great read.

CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 am

Really appreciate your write ups. Great season indeed !!
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 am

Always pay attention when Joe posts. Impressive on how efficient you are!

Beast mode.

Thanks!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:In my opinion one of those most tactical big buck killers there is. No luck involved with this guy. Hard working, disciplined, super throughout kills. How do you not get inspired by a guy like Joe.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!!! Truly inspirational and one guys I really look up to in the world of hunting. Great stuff Joe and your hard work shows buddy.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This definitely was a season with extreme highs and lows...

A few answers for questions:

Jonny wrote:Awesome job Joe!

Still rocking the coyote vest and bucket hat I see

Yep, will admit I get some perverse kind of pleasure in hunting in that stuff versus draping myself with hundreds of dollars of name brand camo, but its effective too. I am certain that floppy hat breaks up the shape of my head way better than a baseball style hat, and fur is warm of course but also is the quietest material ever, no man made fabric comes close. Also, when a deer gets downwind the mixture of coyote and human scent makes them more likely to spook off quietly I have noticed - not snorting. Some interesting advantages.

Jackson Marsh wrote:That was a fun read Joe. Congrats on a couple of dandy bucks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a bummer about the wounded buck....but without the lows of bowhunting I'm not sure the highs would be as sweet. I doubt many guys would have put in that type of search effort. Hats off to you.

Were you able to hunt Wisconsin for a few days?

Congrats on a great season. :dance: :dance:

Yea, I made it up there for another 3 day rut hunt. That could have been another chapter but I figured I wrote enough. I passed a couple tempting younger bucks but didn't get a chance at a big one. I had a pack of 4 wolves come in hunting me (no other way to describe it, that is clearly what they were doing!) after I grunted at a buck in the distance - that was freaky! First wolves I have seen while hunting. They circled down wind and hit my scent when they got about 50 yards out or it would have got real interesting. My yote coat wasn't enough to make them want to stick around :lol:

Anyway, the trip was definitely a success because my buddy shot a beautiful 9 pt - almost a 10 - on our second day of the hunt in a rut travel corridor where a tag alder swamp finger, open hardwoods, and a 5 year old clearcut all neck down together, kind of a classic northwoods funnel that I would have probably never even noticed say only 5 years ago. We found the spot a couple years ago, and I put a camera there last year. It got consistent cruising in late October and early November so he went in for an all day and tagged a mid day cruiser. Annual patterns strike again.

Maybe I will get to the point where I can expect a opportunity every year in an area like that on a 3 day hunt but I am not there yet - if one of us does, that is good enough to me for now. Scouting and building our knowledge over the last few years has been a team effort. Each year we make one or two scouting trips and find another really great spot or two that seems to have big bucks around almost every year. Even though the terrain and deer density is much different its remarkable to me how similar deer hunting is where ever you go, places where deer get pressured anyway - you can consistently find the big boys in maybe 5% of the total area. Hunting in the other 95% is a waste of time if you are looking for a nice buck.

Buddy's buck

One of the younger bucks I had come past me up there, a 2 year old by his body just a little small in the rack department.

Sign from one of the big boys
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Congrats to your buddy joe. Having wolves that close had to be interesting. .... :lol:
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Congrats on your season, Joe! I've learned a lot from you reading your posts and listening to your podcast interviews. Couldn't help but read the chapters of your season in your deep voice. :lol:
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Great season as always Joe! That lm buck is impressive giving the fact that the weather was aweful for muzzy hunting. I had a tag for lm and it was brutal. Passed up 2 130s that looking back i shouldnt have givin the conditions.
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Love it!
Real hunting stories!
Not just kills and hero shots.
I applaud!
Thanks for sharing Joe
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm

rutjunkie wrote:Great season as always Joe! That lm buck is impressive giving the fact that the weather was aweful for muzzy hunting. I had a tag for lm and it was brutal. Passed up 2 130s that looking back i shouldnt have givin the conditions.

Thanks, yea it wasn't much fun with the warmth, rain and mud. We had snow cover - like an inch or so - for about 2-3 days of the season so that is an all time low in that department. Usually we have snow cover for at least half the season.

Just realized I posted all this without a hoof pic! Snow made me think of it. We knew my late season buck had big square hooves from seeing them the previous winter in the area. Would have made it easier to confirm he was still around with snow on the ground, but I guess it worked out anyway.

My bow buck had hooves the size of a big doe though. I have said it before, I have seen a shocking number of really big bucks with small hooves for their size - like what a person might think was a big doe or 2 or 3 year old buck. Probably 20-30% of them fall into that category. So don't use track size alone to judge for a big buck - look how deep the tracks sink into the ground, if it swings wide to avoid narrow spaces, if they drag in the snow, that sort of thing. Off soap box :lol:

Bow buck hoof:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:15 pm

JoeRE wrote:
rutjunkie wrote:Great season as always Joe! That lm buck is impressive giving the fact that the weather was aweful for muzzy hunting. I had a tag for lm and it was brutal. Passed up 2 130s that looking back i shouldnt have givin the conditions.

Thanks, yea it wasn't much fun with the warmth, rain and mud. We had snow cover - like an inch or so - for about 2-3 days of the season so that is an all time low in that department. Usually we have snow cover for at least half the season.

Just realized I posted all this without a hoof pic! Snow made me think of it. We knew my late season buck had big square hooves from seeing them the previous winter in the area. Would have made it easier to confirm he was still around with snow on the ground, but I guess it worked out anyway.

My bow buck had hooves the size of a big doe though. I have said it before, I have seen a shocking number of really big bucks with small hooves for their size - like what a person might think was a big doe or 2 or 3 year old buck. Probably 20-30% of them fall into that category. So don't use track size alone to judge for a big buck - look how deep the tracks sink into the ground, if it swings wide to avoid narrow spaces, if they drag in the snow, that sort of thing. Off soap box :lol:

Bow buck hoof:

Great observation, illustration and tip. :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Interesting. Small feet on older bucks must be a hill country thing. :think:

I have yet to see an old marsh buck with small feet. They need big clod hoppers to keep them on top of the muck. Maybe over the generations the species evolved to have duck type feet. :lol:
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:53 am

Great stuff Joe , IMO you cannot write too much at all.
I recently watched a tracking video from the Northeast where they were guessing the buck to be younger by the size of its track . Turns out it was more on the mature size for body and rack . ;)
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 am

Awesome read, congrats on 2 amazing bucks!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Good stuff Joe, thanks for sharing and always appreciate your stories/info
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”