What is the most time-efficient mobile setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigBuckBane

What is the most time-efficient mobile setup?

Unread postby BigBuckBane » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 am

I would like to be able to set up and tear down faster this coming season than I did last season. I used a LW alpha and LW sticks. I’ve done some searches and haven’t found a thread that covers this specifically.

So... from some experienced public land run and gun hunters, what is the winning setup for the busy guy who doesn’t want to add an extra 45 mins on each end of a hunt?

The setup must be mobile and versatile enough to setup in almost any tree. I know climbers are probably faster and more comfortable, but they limit your options.

Bonus points for being light enough for scouting with the setup on your back. Also bonus points for being comfortable.

A big question- if I switch to saddle hunting, will I save significant time?

I can hang the stand itself fairly fast. Where I lose time is lining the sticks up and positioning them to get up into the stand, adjusting the stand’s position due to branches growing out of the trunk, after the hunt packing the sticks neatly stacked onto the alpha Treestand, branches to maneuver around with my lineman’s belt.

With my current setup, I already only take one trip up and down, and I have the ropeman ascender to make lineman’s belt faster, so I just want to know what is the fastest set of gear a guy can have while hunting without compromising mobility, safety, or tree selection.

Thank you!

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: What is the most time-efficient mobile setup?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 am

Try a set of sticks with dual steps, or practice more. IT doesnt take 45 mins once you are more used to the process.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:27 am

Saddle hands down. My entire set up with platform and 5 beast sticks is under 12 lbs. Takes minutes to climb and be set, no where near 45. I hunted from lock ons for years and haven’t touched one in years, sold em. no advantage for me compared to a saddle and sticks.

Saddle is quieter, faster, safer, more shot options, and a lot more comfy.

Build a fleece or sit and drag to see if ya like it, get your sticks of choice, and pick a platform. Commit to it for a season then make your call.
BigBuckBane

Unread postby BigBuckBane » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 am

Bowhuntercoop, very helpful reply about the saddle being the fastest option. Can you just tell me real quickly which saddle, platform, sticks, etc you chose for your setup assuming it’s the combination that you think is the best/fastest?
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:14 am

I run lonewolf assault with 4 beast sticks... from time i get to base of tree to sitting in stand only takes me 14 mins and thats going super quiet as possible.. Id practice more with different methods of ascending the tree.. a linemans belt really helped me speed up cause i could have both hands free..
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:28 am

4 beast sticks with stick talons and an assault, setting up as quiet as possible with no wasted movement takes me about 15 minutes. Going to a saddle this year should cut 3 or 4 off of that.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 am

Trout wrote:4 beast sticks with stick talons and an assault, setting up as quiet as possible with no wasted movement takes me about 15 minutes. Going to a saddle this year should cut 3 or 4 off of that.

X2 except I have no plans to move to a saddle. I am not against them saddle hunting or anything like that. I just feel comfortable and confident with my set up. Having said this, I need to shed some weight and I am looking forward to a beast stand and sticks at some point.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 am

Sitting on the ground, then a climber, then sticks. Hanging a stand or a platform is pretty much a wash on time so it’s really climbing method.

And the tree. Straight trees are a lot faster with any method compared to a Christmas tree
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 am

johndeere506 wrote:Try a set of sticks with dual steps, or practice more. IT doesnt take 45 mins once you are more used to the process.

This. I also don’t think a saddle setup is going to save much time. Maybe a little. You still are using sticks to ascend. With more use you should be quicker. During tear down I will let my stick fall to the ground. Usually I lower with strap till I get to the end and then let go. I also take off the last 2 from the ground. My take down is quicker than my going up. I usually am not worried about making noise.

Now a tree that has many limbs and leans and stuff does take more time.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:20 am

Ground game is my fastest set up.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:29 am

BigBuckBane wrote:Bowhuntercoop, very helpful reply about the saddle being the fastest option. Can you just tell me real quickly which saddle, platform, sticks, etc you chose for your setup assuming it’s the combination that you think is the best/fastest?

I run 5 beast sticks, and lone wolf climber top as my platform. Sometimes I just use 2-3 sticks depending on the location and height and just stand on the top beast stick. My saddle is a homemade sit and drag.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:04 am

I did a long winded post that got lost on submission somehow so I'm doing the short version now.

Saddle and WE stepps. No platform. From ground to arrow nocked in 15min quietly. Everything fits in a small backpack so nothing snags or tinks on the walk in. It's like going on a day hike as far as comfort. So little weight/bulk I almost forget its there.
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 am

Saddle with spikes or sticks
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:06 am

The quickest and most common for me is the ground. Saddle and sticks are second. I am done with stands for mobile hunting.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 am

Nothing is more efficient and mobile than ground hunting. Sit down and I’m hunting. Don’t like my set up.......pick up and move instantly.

It takes me about the same amount of time to set up a stand as it does to strap on my saddle. Climbing sticks are needed either way and that’s what takes the most time when setting up. The advantage is with the saddle being quite a bit lighter and easier to pack or wear in compared to a bulky stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”