North Dakota Determination

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

E72
500 Club

Re: North Dakota Determination

Unread postby E72 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:06 am

.Nice work . 8-)

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:36 am

Congrats!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 am

Great job and great video. I was just fixing to ask you some questions about it when Wlog bumped the video post. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 am

Congratulations on a well deserved buck. I’ll be heading to North Dakota next year I really want to try and get a velvet buck. If not I’ll be hitting it up late season over there.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 am

Congrats on an excellent season :clap: :clap: :clap:
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:27 am

greenhorndave wrote:Great job and great video. I was just fixing to ask you some questions about it when Wlog bumped the video post. :D

Fire away
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:41 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:Great job and great video. I was just fixing to ask you some questions about it when Wlog bumped the video post. :D

Fire away

I think you pretty much answered them in terms of what you saw going into a new state, your overall thoughts about ND, etc. Seemed like it was worth it. How many miles did you rack up on the vehicle?

Would you recommend ND as a hunt destination? SD better?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:

Fire away

I think you pretty much answered them in terms of what you saw going into a new state, your overall thoughts about ND, etc. Seemed like it was worth it. How many miles did you rack up on the vehicle?

Would you recommend ND as a hunt destination? SD better?

How many miles did you rack up on the vehicle? 1200-1500 over 4 trips (3 hunting, 1 scouting). I just did a little bit of google mapping, and I drove at least 900, between the various 3 locations that I checked out (that doesn't count miles in Montana to get to ND border), and I'm 100% sure I drove at least 300 more driving around those areas, checking public/glassing. I think it could be as high as 2000 honestly, but I'm being conservative. Add in the miles in Montana, and its probably closer to 4000.

Would you recommend ND as a hunt destination? SD better? I think that depends what a guy is after. If it's a velvet buck, then ND is the only option since non-residents can hunt the entire season in ND, but in SD, non-residents have to wait until Oct 1st to hunt public now (can still hunt the opener on private, but I don't have access to any private). If a guy isn't after a velvet buck, then I think SD is the better choice. The archery tag is the same price, and its good for a whitetail or a muley, in ND the archery tag is only good for a whitetail (although there are a very few any deer or mule deer only tags, but its a draw system and odds are low from what I read). The overall number and quality of deer was noticeably better in SD though.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:50 am

Congrats Seaz. I gotta question, what type of broadheads you use. For goodness sakes that's an exit.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Congrats Seaz. I gotta question, what type of broadheads you use. For goodness sakes that's an exit.

Slick Trick Magnum 125gr. It's a 4 blade cut on contact fixed blade designed. I believe they are 1 1/8" cutting diameter.

I shoot around 63lbs draw weight. I use Easton axis 5mm arrow shafts with the 50gr brass insert, so my point weight is 175gr, and total arrow weight is 480grs. The arrows hit like a hammer. I actually lost the first two arrows I killed deer with this year. Full pass through, then I assume buried in the dirt. I did manage to find the one from this buck. Pass through the shoulder meat (not the bone) and it stuck in the frozen ground on the exit side. I'll be sticking with this set up for a while!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:39 am

seazofcheeze wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Congrats Seaz. I gotta question, what type of broadheads you use. For goodness sakes that's an exit.

Slick Trick Magnum 125gr. It's a 4 blade cut on contact fixed blade designed. I believe they are 1 1/8" cutting diameter.

I shoot around 63lbs draw weight. I use Easton axis 5mm arrow shafts with the 50gr brass insert, so my point weight is 175gr, and total arrow weight is 480grs. The arrows hit like a hammer. I actually lost the first two arrows I killed deer with this year. Full pass through, then I assume buried in the dirt. I did manage to find the one from this buck. Pass through the shoulder meat (not the bone) and it stuck in the frozen ground on the exit side. I'll be sticking with this set up for a while!

I was hoping you were going to say anything but slick tricks. Been using them for several years, but if I don't drop them on the spot, I just have not been getting good blood trials. I was thinking of switching, maybe it is my cross bow bolts being too light. Not certain. Well congrats again, they definitely made a heck of an exit for you
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”