Post season survivor pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Post season survivor pics

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:14 pm

I was thinking of setting up a few cams in high traffic areas over mineral rocks to try and get a better inventory on who survived. Think they will hit those minerals hard right now, post season? I had some out spring into fall and they were very active until about hunting season then they shut down. Wondering if I should put some out now or wait?

may21581
500 Club

Re: Post season survivor pics

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Now is an excellent time to get inventory for next season. Most of the bucks I have shot were caught on camera this time of year from the year prior. I am still running my cameras now for next season. Mine are close to bedding areas and I'm trying to get a better understanding of when and how they use them. I combine this with my journal to reference movement to wind, weather, timing. Also still looking for that 1 in a million buck, I know when i find one he wont go far and next season i have a leg up on him. My advice on minerals is to put them in secure locations the big boys feel safe.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:54 pm

I’m just as excited this time of year for cameras as I am earlier in the year. I just run them in open gates and fence row crossings with some good luck. I’ve already got pictures of nexts years targets making it though our gun season and I’m ready to do some winter and spring scouting to see where they spent their time this year!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:01 pm

This is a fantastic idea that I’ve never considered. Our season ended today, so I may be able to get a few cams out this weekend. As far as minerals right now, I think bucks are craving any sort of nutrition. I could be wrong, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be hit pretty hard.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”