How long does it take you to butcher deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: How long does it take you to butcher deer?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 am

It pretty much takes me all day if I'm doing it myself and taking my time. If my wife helps, we have done them in two hours.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:44 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I've done one 80#.

Skin, debonned into roasts, scraps for grinding burger, vac sealed, throw bones away and cleanup = +5 hours.

I'll easily have this done for $100 from now on...

I don’t disagree with dropping it off at the butcher being worth the money. I don’t like depending on them every time though. I still use a butcher when I know I don’t have time to do it myself, I just like the piece of mind of knowing exactly how it was cared for and not worrying about whether or not anyone will be around for me to drop it off. I’ve had some bad experiences with butchers in the past. I’m sure I’m not alone on that.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:46 am

Sounds like I’m in the same ballpark as most with the amount of time. Keeping it in the fridge and doing a little at a time sounds like a good plan if you have the fridge space.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:03 pm

I wish I was faster but I’d say start to finish 4-5 hours. But I usually skin them and let hang for 5 days but after hanging is done about 5 hours.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Wlog wrote:

Skin, debonned into roasts, scraps for grinding burger, vac sealed, throw bones away and cleanup = +5 hours.

I don’t disagree with dropping it off at the butcher being worth the money. I don’t like depending on them every time though. I still use a butcher when I know I don’t have time to do it myself, I just like the piece of mind of knowing exactly how it was cared for and not worrying about whether or not anyone will be around for me to drop it off. I’ve had some bad experiences with butchers in the past. I’m sure I’m not alone on that.

I do it myself for the piece of mind also. A lot of butchers around here advertise that you might not even get the meat from your deer back. It might be from someone else’s and who knows how that was cared for before taken in.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Takes me about 4 hrs and I'm not very good at it. I saw a you tube video of someone de-bone an entire deer in under 15 minutes I think it was...
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:42 pm

VaBowKill5 wrote:I wish I was faster but I’d say start to finish 4-5 hours. But I usually skin them and let hang for 5 days but after hanging is done about 5 hours.

There are some good videos on youtube that helped me process deer much faster & better. The bearded butcher butchers is a great youtube channel that I like.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm

There are some guys by me that will skin, debone, cut, grind and wrap a deer for 40-50 dollars. They are ok to use in a pinch, but they definitely dont do as good of a job as I would do.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm

It depends on how picky you are. If you truly want to get ALL the RED meat without any WASTED, it would take forever.

I'm very skeptical about guys who claim to butcher deer very fast without any waste...

I call B.S.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:32 pm

john1984 wrote:It depends on how picky you are. If you truly want to get ALL the RED meat without any WASTED, it would take forever.

I'm very skeptical about guys who claim to butcher deer very fast without any waste...

I call B.S.

I've seen it in person. My FIL can do it clean and quick, it's a thing of beauty to see it. He was a butcher for a few years, plus they butchered farm animals.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
john1984 wrote:It depends on how picky you are. If you truly want to get ALL the RED meat without any WASTED, it would take forever.

I call B.S.

I've seen it in person. My FIL can do it clean and quick, it's a thing of beauty to see it. He was a butcher for a few years, plus they butchered farm animals.

Just like anything the more you do it, the quicker you get. Good equipment helps alot too. A good grinder with a sharp knife and plate can fly thru burger. A bad grinder with a dull blade take forever to grind. The type of cuts you do also has an effect.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:05 pm

I dont remember how long it takes me but its not that long at all. I steak out the backstraps and a few cuts from the ham area and the rest I grind for jerky.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:59 pm

From hanging with hide on, quartering, wrapping steaks in freezer paper, then putting trim in ziplocks... probably 7-8 hours if I’m butchering alone.

I’m pickier than all my friends. That’s also why I get 8-10 more pounds off a doe than they do. ;)
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:35 pm

4-7 hours. Somedays I'm faster than others. Plus some deer have less fat, which sometimes takes me longer to deal with.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:14 am

The last one I did was an average sized doe. Took between and hour and half and 2 hours to debone quarters cut steaks and clean up the rest of the trim for 2 of us. And probably 45 minutes maybe an hour to quarter and debone the hanging carcass. What I've been doing this year is freeze all my burger meat unground in gallon ziplocks then thawed all my deer from the year at once and do them all together. Saved a ton of cleanup time. Plus I'm usually trying to get one cut up after work quick so it helped make that process a little faster too.

I would say I'm pretty picky about getting as much meat as possible off. And pretty picky about steaks, roasts and stew meat as far as fat and silver skin but for burger and sausage meat I do let a little slide and dont kill myself to get it all off. Maybe it helps but if it does I honestly havent noticed. It probably is "worth it" to pay someone else to do it but that's just not how I'm wired I guess. Really like the control and flexibility doing my own gives me

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”