Well used buck bed doesn’t fit the wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: Well used buck bed doesn’t fit the wind

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:47 am

I hunt a spot similiar to this with hollows and draws. The thermals and winds are wicked on the sides of the hills. A slight change in wind velocity can change the direction of the wind.
The valleys and hills act as funnels and can redirect the airflow. Add falling and rising thermals into the equation and it's even worse.
I'm sure this spot offers a visual and sound advantage as well. With the looks of that bed I would say it gas done its job.
I would be in there come spring with some milkweed on different winds to see how it flows when scouting. I'm sure you will be intrigued with the results.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:19 am

Are you archery hunting this area?

If you are in some type of firearms season....
you might be able to catch a wind where you could approach the opposite side of the draw from the bed.

Come in from the north portion maybe, and start glassing the bedding area just as you crest the opposite side ridge line.

If he is home you may be able to see what’s there and possibly get a shot at him
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:23 am

That’s my guess with how the wind may swirl with those steep draws and points sticking out.

I’ve been chasing 2 bucks in very similar topography (minus AG up top) and that’s what the wind always seems to do... along with blow in every other direction. Makes a guy want to try scent control or something :D

I’d recommend hanging a cell camera in there as well. Good luck!

49BD1A19-0BDC-46D6-B1DB-2459E45A5FC7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”