Where to hunt today.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunt the cut corn or the cedars/bedding?

Cut corn
22%
Cedars
72%
Stay home and take a nap
6%

Total votes: 18
DhD
500 Club

Where to hunt today.

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:20 am

Got a decent seven point on camera going into a cedar thicket bedding area this morning adjacent to a large cut corn field. I'm going to hunt him this afternoon with a muzzleloader. Warm front coming thru, high of almost sixty. Would you get up on the hill in the cedars with him, or hope he comes out into the corn at last light? I'm over thinking everything, so I'll leave this one up to the group.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Where to hunt today.

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:44 am

I said cedars - would try to get on the edge of the cedars.
Not sure what kind of range you have w your smoke pole - I'd plan on a 75-100 yard shot - just how I roll with guns. Trying to get real close doesn't work well for me (deaf).

What time did he come thru? Tomorrow am ambush might be better iffn he came in when daylight?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:56 am

Warm fronts don’t exactly get the deer running to the groceries. I would set up closer to the cedars. If I had a partner in crime and a smoke pole I would set up along a side hill ditch and have my buddy loop around the backside of the hill into him. Worse case scenario is u don’t see him, try again tomorrow. If the buck is concerned about anything it will be trouble coming from behind.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:58 am

I really wish I had someone to wind bump for me, pretty sure I would have a couple down already.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:00 am

Rich M wrote:I said cedars - would try to get on the edge of the cedars.
Not sure what kind of range you have w your smoke pole - I'd plan on a 75-100 yard shot - just how I roll with guns. Trying to get real close doesn't work well for me (deaf).

What time did he come thru? Tomorrow am ambush might be better iffn he came in when daylight?

Came by my camera fifteen minutes before legal light. I had someone walk thru that spot yesterday, saw them on camera, I know he picked up the ground scent. I would be surprised if he came in thru the same spot tomorrow. They say my rifle will shoot 250 but I'm only comfortable to like 125.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:16 am

Ok I never post these, but here goes. Yellow dot is the camera. Arrow is direction of movement just before sunrise this morning. The pink square is another guys blind. Blue dot is a watering hole in the middle of confirmed bedding area, inside the green circle. All of the open fields are cut corn. Wind is from the SSE. I'm thinking setup somewhere in shooting range of the pond on the north edge of the bedding area. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:54 am

Heading into the cedars at 3, will report back with result
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:54 am

I would be half tempted to sit on the south, just inside and west of the draw to the south side of your green circle. Gotta stay far enough west for a off wind. Look for a spot probably 25-50 feet off field edge in between thick edge and bedding. I would be curious if he is staging up on the edge there then crossing field to the point to the south then making big loop and entering back in where your camera is. If there is a water hole in bedding then probably going straight to food after getting up milling around.

Did you ever make it up to Merritt this year?

Good luck
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:01 am

Haven't been to Merritt yet this year, but I'm going in the spring to scout/muskie fish. This summer I did a muskie trip to Wisconsin instead. My wife swears I love to make things difficult. My two favorite activities are archery hunting whitetails from the ground and muskie fishing from a kayak.
Last edited by DhD on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:03 am

I like that spot you pointed out, from there I can see into the corn and still watch down the draw. I'm gonna see if I can pull that off.
Access is better there too, I can come in thru the cut corn and not have to try and sneak they that draw.
Last edited by DhD on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:07 am

I couldn't believe how many people were there fishing the end of September and early October. Nobody hunting all fishing. My dad did run into some bird hunters to the north. I ran into one guy hunting in 8 days and when he found out he couldn't drive back he turned around and left. It was a pretty fun time, plan on going back next year now that I know the area better.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:11 am

DhD wrote:Haven't been to Merritt yet this year, but I'm going in the spring to scout/muskie fish. This summer I did a muskie trip to Wisconsin instead. My wife swears I love to make things difficult. My two favorite activities are archery hunting whitetails from the ground and muskie fishing from a kayak.

I love to hunt whitetail not much of a fisherman might make it out once a year. Only so much time in the day. My wife and I enjoy kayaking the rivers here in Michigan though.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:25 am

Ready and waiting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:34 am

Slight reset due to wind shift.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:52 pm

I didn't find any actual deer today, but lots of good sign and a great spot to hunt later. Found some super fresh bedding on one side of the draw.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”