keeping track of all your stands.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

keeping track of all your stands.

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:33 am

I am to the point that I can't remember all my stands anymore. I add several every year. I noticed this this week cause I was scouting, trying to find a darn deer in the public land. I came across some marked waypoints that I marked for a hunting tree. I forgot about several of them and could hardly recall them for a while. Does this stuff happen to you? I am thinking of getting a big map of the public land and put pins on the map with numbers on them with notes or something. How do you all go about remembering all your spots? I might delete them from My GPS ( 64 S?) but not even sure how to do that yet.

Jonny
500 Club

Re: keeping track of all your stands.

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:13 am

I add notes to each waypoint and have a spreadsheet of all my points and what they are for.

Really is tough cause I use my gps for fishing as well so I have tons of points all over the state. And some of my fishing points are within feet of some of my hunting spots :whistle:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:36 am

OnX maps. Easy peasy and you can add notes and a pic of the tree if you want. Very easy to categorize everything for quick reference. I mark all my stand sites a color that really stands out so they are easy to see on the maps.

Before that I plotted everything on Google Earth or Garmin Basecamp and way before then I plotted them all on paper topo maps with handwritten notes.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:57 am

I use a GIS - it allows me to log the exact location I hunted or prepped a tree and put whatever notes I want into the database. It also lets me query the database so I can pick the best spot based on wind direction and/or sighting or kills under similar conditions. You could use an Excel spreadsheet in a very similar fashion.

Lee
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 am

Dewey wrote:OnX maps. Easy peasy and you can add notes and a pic of the tree if you want. Very easy to categorize everything for quick reference. I mark all my stand sites a color that really stands out so they are easy to see on the maps.

Before that I plotted everything on Google Earth or Garmin Basecamp and way before then I plotted them all on paper topo maps with handwritten notes.

I have got to do better at adding notes on mine. I sometimes have waypoints that I don't remember what they are for. LOL.

Anyone have any tips on how they name locations or stands that make it easy to find. I was thinking of maybe putting something in the name that would signify early, rut or late season?
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:33 am

i try to use multiple colors on onx, blue is always something i found on a map that I need to scout. I mark spots while scouting that I plan to hunt in the future & put specifics in the notes (3 sticks high in the big poplar). Then at night after scouting I number each waypoint & enter them into my spreadsheet for that area, along with notes, winds it would be good for and also access.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:37 pm

ihookem wrote:I am to the point that I can't remember all my stands anymore. I add several every year. I noticed this this week cause I was scouting, trying to find a darn deer in the public land. I came across some marked waypoints that I marked for a hunting tree. I forgot about several of them and could hardly recall them for a while. Does this stuff happen to you? I am thinking of getting a big map of the public land and put pins on the map with numbers on them with notes or something. How do you all go about remembering all your spots? I might delete them from My GPS ( 64 S?) but not even sure how to do that yet.

X2 for OnX maps. You can set up to only view the o es you want on your waypoint lists.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:03 pm

huntstand & exel spreadsheet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:36 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:How I do it

https://youtu.be/1HhsIU8qXYs

Dave, thanks for the video, I had seen your video last year and I modeled my spreadsheets format off of yours. I like your list that you have put together!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”