Public land tree prep?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Public land tree prep?

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:58 am

I just had my 5 year old draw a measurement ruler to keep in my hunting backpack for me for being able to measure the branches before I snap or cut off. Come to think of it, I guess I never double checked her measurements to see if it is a true inch or not ;)

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:09 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:There are two types of public land hunters: those that cut limbs, and those that lie about cutting limbs.

:D :lol:
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:04 am

With the 1” rule change in the WI regs I have been trimming a little bit this season but still hate to do it just because it’s so easy to pick out trees others have hunted. I like to leave zero trace I have been there if possible but even that is tough with scars from climbing sticks.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Dewey I am the same. I dint hear of the 1" rule. This scouting season that just started, I have cut limbs. I never used to cut limbs unless they were dead. The problem is, my example : I cut some vine last week. So what . It is a junk weed that hurts the tree anyway by pulling down the tree top. Is it bad to cut the vine? I think you are helping. I also cut broke some brush for a stand I have not used but found several years ago. It is brush. I saw where someone , for no reason cut down a 20' 2" thick beautiful maple tree. That is much different than a vine. I saw where someone cut a 6' white oak tree down. We need more white oaks out there so that is bad. I started breaking dead branches and try to make it look like it just broke off from being dead, not twisted and pulled back. That shows a hunter in the area. So yes, I started trimming a bit but no more than I have to.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:13 pm

I can honestly say I don’t think I’d ever NOT trimmed anything until I hunted WI this year. I don’t think people understand how thick it is around here. It’s common for me to not be able to shoot around the majority of my kill tree. Doesn’t matter if they’re at the base of the tree.

When I shot my MN doe, I had one come in early on that milled around from 5-15 yards for over 5 minutes and I never even thought about drawing.

Only time I don’t have to trim is if I’m ground hunting in a CRP/cattail scenario and there’s no brush.

I usually can’t get into the tree itself without trimming something. I always try to be discrete and respectful as possible though.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:56 pm

ihookem wrote:Dewey I am the same. I dint hear of the 1" rule. This scouting season that just started, I have cut limbs. I never used to cut limbs unless they were dead. The problem is, my example : I cut some vine last week. So what . It is a junk weed that hurts the tree anyway by pulling down the tree top. Is it bad to cut the vine? I think you are helping. I also cut broke some brush for a stand I have not used but found several years ago. It is brush. I saw where someone , for no reason cut down a 20' 2" thick beautiful maple tree. That is much different than a vine. I saw where someone cut a 6' white oak tree down. We need more white oaks out there so that is bad. I started breaking dead branches and try to make it look like it just broke off from being dead, not twisted and pulled back. That shows a hunter in the area. So yes, I started trimming a bit but no more than I have to.

X2
WHAT YOU CUT can matter just as much as HOW MUCH. An oak sapling or other desirable species needs our help even if it is in a tricky spot.
During a scout through a riverbottom I came across 1 lone oak all day long. I gps'd it and REALLY want to return and give it some breathing room. Then it would produce better acorn crop. Is that crossing the same line as knuckle heads clearing shooting lanes to bare ground?
I hope not.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:08 pm

90% of what I end up cutting is usually little sucker limbs on willows. When ground hunting it is almost always dogwood....which you can't kill if you try with a nippers.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 am

And No , I never make a shooting lane . It is a dead giveaway that the spot is good enough for all that work and encourages less ethical hunters to hunt your stand that would walk right by a good stand and not know the difference.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:43 am

I’ve thought about taking a brush hawg to some buckthorn. That stuff doesn’t deserve to be a plant
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Jonny wrote:I’ve thought about taking a brush hawg to some buckthorn. That stuff doesn’t deserve to be a plant

That stuff is a nightmare to deal with. I’ve had the thorns go through a leather glove and into my hand. :twisted:

Oscars grove is so thick with it that nothing native will ever grow there again. The stuff thrives even in the shade.

We have it all over in West Central MN. The first thing I noticed in WI was most areas were void of it. However there were a couple good looking properties that had a bunch of young buckthorn coming up. It will completely take over those properties. Bad deal.

The only good thing is it gets very thick, and deer like thick. I’ve seen them browse the leaves after all the other leaves have dropped, but it doesn’t seem to be a preferred food source.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Jonny wrote:I’ve thought about taking a brush hawg to some buckthorn. That stuff doesn’t deserve to be a plant

Funny thing is, the gov’t has grant money available through the nrcs for doing just that on private land. I have a chum that does some with a skid steer and mulching head.

I’ve heard if you cut buckthorn, suckers start shooting up from the entire root system and it comes back 10x as thick.

Anyway if the govt will pay for people to destroy it on their land they shouldn’t mind you whacking some down on public.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:49 am

Lockdown wrote:

That stuff is a nightmare to deal with. I’ve had the thorns go through a leather glove and into my hand. :twisted:

Oscars grove is so thick with it that nothing native will ever grow there again. The stuff thrives even in the shade.

We have it all over in West Central MN. The first thing I noticed in WI was most areas were void of it. However there were a couple good looking properties that had a bunch of young buckthorn coming up. It will completely take over those properties. Bad deal.

The only good thing is it gets very thick, and deer like thick. I’ve seen them browse the leaves after all the other leaves have dropped, but it doesn’t seem to be a preferred food source.

It’s spotty by me. Some areas you get destroyed walking through and others you can see for half a mile. No rhyme or reason for where it is
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:58 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:There are two types of public land hunters: those that cut limbs, and those that lie about cutting limbs.

Funny.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”