How I kept my feet warm and dry this year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fr0sty

How I kept my feet warm and dry this year

Unread postby fr0sty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:56 am

Like many of you, I wear rubber knee boots when deer hunting. They're great for keeping water out when going through the wet as long as you don't step in too deep of a hole, but sweat build up on socks eventually cause problems. I tried out wiggy's lamilite "socks" this year and have been fairly impressed with them. My feet have stayed completely dry, even when walking/sweating a lot, getting some water in over the boot tops and snow melting inside the boots. Not really sure how they work, but the moisture gets pushed to the outer side of the sock, keeping the part against you foot dry.

Case in point, I went out muzzleloader hunting yesterday and was hiking around quite a bit and getting very sweaty, stepped in a few soft spots and went into water (I don't think it went over my boot tops) and was also going through snow higher than my boot tops. By the time I got to where I was going I had to take my top layers off so as to dry my base layer. Once that was done I climbed into my stand and sat for three hours (the air temp was 19 degrees) but my feet never got cold. I took my boots off at home after hunting and was very surprised to see a bunch of snow in there. The socks were wet on the outside, but my feet never felt wet or cold at all.

There was also an incident in the early season where I felt cold water getting into my boot from a leak, but then after a bit my foot didn't feel wet. I thought I was mistaken about the leak, but sure enough when I took my boots off at the end of the day, the outer part of the sock was wet, but my foot stayed dry. Another bonus is they dry very fast and don't seem to smell, even after wearing them all during the MN gun season.

The main downside to them in they're clunky to wear, but they stay in place well when walking.

Now they aren't a magic bullet, but this year is the warmest my feet have ever been.

https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/13-lamilite-socks/

EllieTheChubb

Re: How I kept my feet warm and dry this year

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 am

I have a pair of wiggys. Super warm not super comfortable while walking but thats not when my feet get cold. I just switch into the wiggys when I get to my tree and all is well and warm!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 am

Thanks, just ordered a pair. I have a really bad problem with foot sweat. We'll see how they work.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:29 am

buttonbuck wrote:Thanks, just ordered a pair. I have a really bad problem with foot sweat. We'll see how they work.

Ever try rubbing unscented antiperspirant into your feet (between toes, whole 9 yards) before putting on your socks to hunt? It helps me a lot (for warmth, comfort, and blister prevention). I use this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Almay-Hypoallerg ... B00008O2X5

because it's easier to rub gel all over the foot than to use a stick. I'd use it everyday (when not hunting) but you hear about deodorant not being great for you.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:19 am

My feet are always getting cold I’m going to give that sock a try. Thanks!
Haste makes waste
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:53 am

TheBuckPsych wrote:Got a link too these socks?
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:55 am

fr0sty wrote:https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/13-lamilite-socks/

TheBuckPsych wrote:Got a link too these socks?

Thanks man definitely donna get a pair.
Do you wear by themselves or do you put sock liner first then these ? And are they good in real cold?
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:24 am

You're not supposed to wear anything other than the lamalite socks and that's how I've worn them. They aren't crazy warm, but they take all the moisture (at least for me) off my foot, which goes a long way to keeping my feet warm.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 am

I tried something new this season that’s the kitties titties for me. I got a pair of cheap thick insulated house shoes with rubber bottoms. I put em in my cargo pockets and wear non insulated duck boots to the stand. Once up in the tree I take em off, tie the laces together and hang em on a limb or back of stand. Then put on my house shoes, warm and comfy. Wish I would have discovered this 20 years ago.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bach55

Unread postby Bach55 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:02 pm

I bought the lamilite socks this year as well after reading about them. They’ve been great! They’re supposed to be worn by themselves. I’ve had great experiences with them in both rubber boots and Danner Pronghorns.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 am

fr0sty wrote:Like many of you, I wear rubber knee boots when deer hunting. They're great for keeping water out when going through the wet as long as you don't step in too deep of a hole, but sweat build up on socks eventually cause problems. I tried out wiggy's lamilite "socks" this year and have been fairly impressed with them. My feet have stayed completely dry, even when walking/sweating a lot, getting some water in over the boot tops and snow melting inside the boots. Not really sure how they work, but the moisture gets pushed to the outer side of the sock, keeping the part against you foot dry.

Case in point, I went out muzzleloader hunting yesterday and was hiking around quite a bit and getting very sweaty, stepped in a few soft spots and went into water (I don't think it went over my boot tops) and was also going through snow higher than my boot tops. By the time I got to where I was going I had to take my top layers off so as to dry my base layer. Once that was done I climbed into my stand and sat for three hours (the air temp was 19 degrees) but my feet never got cold. I took my boots off at home after hunting and was very surprised to see a bunch of snow in there. The socks were wet on the outside, but my feet never felt wet or cold at all.

There was also an incident in the early season where I felt cold water getting into my boot from a leak, but then after a bit my foot didn't feel wet. I thought I was mistaken about the leak, but sure enough when I took my boots off at the end of the day, the outer part of the sock was wet, but my foot stayed dry. Another bonus is they dry very fast and don't seem to smell, even after wearing them all during the MN gun season.

The main downside to them in they're clunky to wear, but they stay in place well when walking.

Now they aren't a magic bullet, but this year is the warmest my feet have ever been.

Are the primarily great because of how the handle moisture? Or how do they perform in really cold dry weather? I am looking for something to help my feet stay warm on those bitter cold days.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:35 am

fr0sty wrote:Like many of you, I wear rubber knee boots when deer hunting. They're great for keeping water out when going through the wet as long as you don't step in too deep of a hole, but sweat build up on socks eventually cause problems. I tried out wiggy's lamilite "socks" this year and have been fairly impressed with them. My feet have stayed completely dry, even when walking/sweating a lot, getting some water in over the boot tops and snow melting inside the boots. Not really sure how they work, but the moisture gets pushed to the outer side of the sock, keeping the part against you foot dry.

I looked at the link and it seems there is a seam that runs down the sock. I can't tell from the picture if it is a flat seam or something that would tend to rub your foot. What's been your experience regarding that part?
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:19 am

Mostly on how they deal with foot moisture. I did wear them for a three hour sit in 19 degree weather and my feet didn't get cold. I hope to have a few more late season sits here in MN and I'll report back on how those go.

comeback_kid wrote:

Are the primarily great because of how the handle moisture? Or how do they perform in really cold dry weather? I am looking for something to help my feet stay warm on those bitter cold days.
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:20 am

I thought for sure they would fall off my foot when walking around or rub on my feet, but that never happened. I didn't have any issue with rubbing.

raisins wrote:

I looked at the link and it seems there is a seam that runs down the sock. I can't tell from the picture if it is a flat seam or something that would tend to rub your foot. What's been your experience regarding that part?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”