Doe seasons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trapper57
500 Club

Re: Doe seasons

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:24 am

dan wrote:Did anybody else notice they doubled the free doe tags in wisconsin this year... ? Then when you complain that the deer numbers are dropping sharply and that they need to stop giving out doe tags they try telling you they sold less tags, or stopped sales... well, yes. But you gave every hunter 4 doe tags...

I did my part to restore the deer numbers
I was given 8 doe tags with my archery and gun licenses
Didn’t use any of them ;)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am

trapper57 wrote:
dan wrote:Did anybody else notice they doubled the free doe tags in wisconsin this year... ? Then when you complain that the deer numbers are dropping sharply and that they need to stop giving out doe tags they try telling you they sold less tags, or stopped sales... well, yes. But you gave every hunter 4 doe tags...

It depended on the county. I only got one buck and one doe tag for each license so only 2 doe tags total. Didn’t fill any of them. They are all safe around me. :lol:
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:19 am

trapper57 wrote:

They gave one of my buddies 5 free doe tags for central Wisconsin and I got 3 and 2 of my other buddies got 3 each also , never been easier to get doe tags , also I hear of many people not even registering their deer because it's not longer a green tag you put onto your deer it's just oh when you kill one just it in the same or next day and I bet theres alot of people guilty for not calling it in and then killing another deer with that tag
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:26 am

Check out Shawano County! :shock:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Dewey wrote:Image

6 WITH YOUR BOW LICENSE, 6 WITH YOUR GUN, AND YOU CAN FILL THEM WITH ANY WEPON, SOOO... THEY GOT 12 DOE TAGS EACH, AND COULD BUY MORE IF THEY WANTED THEM... Wonder why no one is seeing deer. lol.
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Are group of 3 hunted Door county and we each got 5 doe tags at no charge. we hunted all day opening day and all day sunday .only seen 1 doe and did not shoot that doe
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Luckily here in Ohio we don’t have that. We did have 6 deer bag limit several years ago for 2 seasons and the DNR quickly realized it was a bad idea......more like they had the public breathing down their neck. That was ‘05-‘06 and ‘06-‘07 season and It took nearly 10 years to recover from just those 2 seasons and get our herd back to a better number.

Plain and simple, you cannot practice QDM for years on end over a statewide platform and eventually not see detrimental affects. It’s just not possible. And until the DNR quits holding hands with the farm bureau and insurance companies deer slaughters will continue.

Here in Ohio when it comes to the deer bag limits, currently they’re back to no longer holding hands but when it comes to other things like having a bobcat season, the farm bureau and insurance companies have a tight grip on the DNR’s hands, as they see the bobcat as just another predator to help get deer numbers low.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:36 pm

dan wrote:

6 WITH YOUR BOW LICENSE, 6 WITH YOUR GUN, AND YOU CAN FILL THEM WITH ANY WEPON, SOOO... THEY GOT 12 DOE TAGS EACH, AND COULD BUY MORE IF THEY WANTED THEM... Wonder why no one is seeing deer. lol.

All those tags and the antlerless harvest was still down 13.5% during the 9 day gun season in Shawano County.

The numbers just don’t add up for record high deer numbers. :liar:
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:

All those tags and the antlerless harvest was still down 13.5% during the 9 day gun season in Shawano County.

The numbers just don’t add up for record high deer numbers. :liar:

I’m not sure what direction deer management is heading in Wisconsin.
This season was the worst I’ve seen in a long time.
Something has to change because this plan is not working.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:41 pm

I agree on all the comments above. Looking back so far this year, I have not seen a doe yet. Only bucks. I had thought the herd was starting to come back as I had been seeing more deer on my drive to work, but based on the overall kills this year, and what I have seen in the woods, it looks to be going the other way.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:58 am

If it were up to me I'd scrap all these "new" seasons, including the October Youth Deer Hunt. (Flame suit on.)

Want to take your kid hunting early in the fall? GREAT! (Hint: small game. Kid will have just as much fun, see far more action, become an overall better hunter and be more ready for the traditional deer hunt with a dozen squirrels and rabbits under his belt than he will by blasting down a deer from a benchrest in a box blind).

Muzzleloader enthusiast?
Have at it!- during the regular nine-day firearms season- and/or hunt small game all Fall and Winter with it. Plenty of opportunities without needing a special season.

Return to the regular September-through-December Archery season and the traditional nine-day firearm season opening the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

I guess I'd be okay with extending archery into January in Metro, etc. areas that still had too many deer to overwinter IF an information campaign were also issued strongly discouraging the "accidental" killing of dropped bucks and button bucks.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:04 am

KRONIIK wrote:If it were up to me I'd scrap all these "new" seasons, including the October Youth Deer Hunt. (Flame suit on.)

Want to take your kid hunting early in the fall? GREAT! (Hint: small game. Kid will have just as much fun, see far more action, become an overall better hunter and be more ready for the traditional deer hunt with a dozen squirrels and rabbits under his belt than he will by blasting down a deer from a benchrest in a box blind).

Muzzleloader enthusiast?
Have at it!- during the regular nine-day firearms season- and/or hunt small game all Fall and Winter with it. Plenty of opportunities without needing a special season.

Return to the regular September-through-December Archery season and the traditional nine-day firearm season opening the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

I guess I'd be okay with extending archery into January in Metro, etc. areas that still had too many deer to overwinter IF an information campaign were also issued strongly discouraging the "accidental" killing of dropped bucks and button bucks.

Keep the extended archery... but I like your suggestions.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:If it were up to me I'd scrap all these "new" seasons, including the October Youth Deer Hunt. (Flame suit on.)

Muzzleloader enthusiast?

Keep the extended archery... but I like your suggestions.

I agree with this. Let the herd come back. Change archery and gun tag good for either sex, once it's filled that's it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:34 am

Muzzleloader enthusiast?

:clap:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:10 am

It’s sad but the concern for keeping bowhunters happy seems to be dwindling. I would be livid if I was a WI hunter.thats some crap. Here in MI they want to extend our gun season opening it early in the beginning of NOV right in the rut. I sure hope it never happens but hey our voice as bowhunters is shrinking.

I wish I could trap some doe here in MI and cart em over to you guys in WI. Boost your numbers and get ours back halfway manageable :D you guys might not want those genes though haha

Good luck with your state agency!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”