Doe seasons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Doe seasons

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 am

Dewey wrote:I drove around a lot this weekend and didn’t see a single person hunting antlerless deer. Guys didn’t see any deer during the 9 day gun season and the kill was the lowest since 1980. Why would they waste their time sitting in much colder weather to repeat the same result? Very few hardcore hunters left at this stage. This hunt needs to end. Not fair to guys who still want to hunt bucks. Lets have a real late archery season again.

Don’t even get me started on the Holiday Antlerless Hunt. Dumbest thing I ever heard of and only hurts the buck population more with nub bucks and shed bucks getting killed. Glad I live in a county where it’s not happening.

I went from Oconomowoc to West Bend to Amherst and back on Sunday. Probably saw 4 people and 5 vehicles at an Allenton Marsh lot, a few others along the highway at Theresa and about 10-12 others from the highway along the way. More than I expected.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:20 am

Dewey wrote:I drove around a lot this weekend and didn’t see a single person hunting antlerless deer. Guys didn’t see any deer during the 9 day gun season and the kill was the lowest since 1980. Why would they waste their time sitting in much colder weather to repeat the same result? Very few hardcore hunters left at this stage. This hunt needs to end. Not fair to guys who still want to hunt bucks. Lets have a real late archery season again.

Don’t even get me started on the Holiday Antlerless Hunt. Dumbest thing I ever heard of and only hurts the buck population more with nub bucks and shed bucks getting killed. Glad I live in a county where it’s not happening.

Central wisconsin got hammered during this I saw people even driving deer while I'm trying to use my bow still ..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:22 am

greenhorndave wrote:

I went from Oconomowoc to West Bend to Amherst and back on Sunday. Probably saw 4 people and 5 vehicles at an Allenton Marsh lot, a few others along the highway at Theresa and about 10-12 others from the highway along the way. More than I expected.

Not surprising along a main travel corridor like that where a bulk of the people jump off of coming from higher population areas. I traveled the rural rounds around public land and there were none.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:19 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Not surprising along a main travel corridor like that where a bulk of the people jump off of coming from higher population areas. I traveled the rural rounds around public land and there were none.

I didn't see anyone off the beaten path in Waupaca County, but the Allenton sightings were off the beaten path.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 am

Is the late doe hunt allowed in the low deer density areas like the northern woods?
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:48 am

I’m glad to see others concerned about this as I spend a lot of time driving and scouting central and northern Wisconsin and have become greatly concerned with the so called healthy herd which I feel is hurting pretty bad based on what I’m seeing. People tend to blame wolves up here in the north and weirdly not think about the hunter doe kill in years past. I too wish they would do away with these doe hunts, don’t know what the answer is but I think license sales will have to drop significantly for the dnr to make the proper changes.
Haste makes waste
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:53 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

I didn't see anyone off the beaten path in Waupaca County, but the Allenton sightings were off the beaten path.

There is a place off the beaten path in the Allenton Marsh? :lol:
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:53 am

dan wrote:With the condition of the herd right now, I would rather people shot young bucks than does... we need a rebuild.

I've been thinking a rebuild is in order for years. With the percentage down statewide that's gotta be an indicator that change is needed.

But it's tough in the north since the winters are harsh and predators are abundant. If the DNR allowed more bear tags, bobcat tags along with the Feds lifting the protection on the wolves, the deer herd actually might have a chance to grow!

I can only fantasize a healthy herd up north where we barely have any hunters. It'd be paradise ;)
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:57 am

mnswamphunter wrote:Is the late doe hunt allowed in the low deer density areas like the northern woods?

If you have a doe tag I believe it is open. This is the first year in many years where the DNR issued antlerless tags in every county in the state of WI. Yet the deer kill numbers in the north are down 30-50% in northern WI.

They gave out anterless tags every county in WI (including everywhere in the north), claimed there were record deer numbers, and on average have a 25% drop in deer kills. :think:
mnswamphunter

Unread postby mnswamphunter » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:08 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
mnswamphunter wrote:Is the late doe hunt allowed in the low deer density areas like the northern woods?

If you have a doe tag I believe it is open. This is the first year in many years where the DNR issued antlerless tags in every county in the state of WI. Yet the deer kill numbers in the north are down 30-50% in northern WI.

They gave out anterless tags every county in WI (including everywhere in the north), claimed there were record deer numbers, and on average have a 25% drop in deer kills. :think:

Seems like there is more to the story. Everywhere I look people are claiming that the deer herd is down while the DNR claim that numbers are high. I believe the hunters kill numbers. Kill numbers are not bias and it seems to alien with what the people are saying. My question is: Is the state still trying to lower the deer numbers because of the CWD outbreak?
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am

mnswamphunter wrote:

Seems like there is more to the story. Everywhere I look people are claiming that the deer herd is down while the DNR claim that numbers are high. I believe the hunters kill numbers. Kill numbers are not bias and it seems to alien with what the people are saying. My question is: Is the state still trying to lower the deer numbers because of the CWD outbreak?

That's a good question. I can only answer for my area and what they say at the CDAC CWD meetings that I have been to. In the county I hunt (Oneida) and the county just south of me (Lincoln) they have found a few deer tested positive for CWD in the last few years. I believe it was 2 springs ago (March) they did a month of private antlerless tags so they could get more samples for CWD. I couldn't understand how more samples at that point would make any difference. Who wants to shoot antlerless deer on their own land in March? That's asinine! Anyway they did it.

Here's some of numbers from the 9 day gun hunt of the two counties I mentioned for 2018 and 2019. A micro example of the statewide problem of low deer kill.

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:45 am

Correct me if I’m wrong but in the past wasn’t buck hunting still closed in northern counties during the Four Day December Statewide Antlerless Hunt even though those counties were buck only and had zero antlerless tags available?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

There is a place off the beaten path in the Allenton Marsh? :lol:

Maybe not. :lol: But it wasn't on the freeway. :D
----------
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:15 am

Dewey wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong but in the past wasn’t buck hunting still closed in northern counties during the Four Day December Statewide Antlerless Hunt even though those counties were buck only and had zero antlerless tags available?

Unless something has changed you are correct. If you do not have an anterless tag to use, you cannot kill a deer in the 4 day anterless hunt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am

Dewey wrote:

Unless something has changed you are correct. If you do not have an anterless tag to use, you cannot kill a deer in the 4 day anterless hunt.

Thought so. A few years back I was going to head up north and buck hunt in Vilas County with the bow but was told I could not because the statewide antlerless hunt was going on. What a load of crap. Never did hear the reasoning for that. In the past that was allowed with the T-Zone hunts. I legally killed multiple bucks while in camo when the next county over was doe only and required blaze orange. Makes zero sense to me. :confusion-confused:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”