heel to toe vs toe to heel walking?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

heel to toe vs toe to heel walking?

Unread postby raisins » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:07 am

I grew up with my dad and uncles always telling me to walk heel-toe to be quiet. I still think that is best when trying to cover ground, with most of the quietness coming from laying down the foot somewhat slowing and also picking your steps and path wisely. However, when slowly stalking, I find it is much better to poke around with your toe first to find a quiet area and then laying the foot down slowly toe first. This also allows you to not commit to a step and pull your foot back. If you try that with the heel first, then you are likely to lose balance and step anyways (plus can't imagine exploring the leaf litter for a quiet spot with my heel).

Is this just common sense that everyone knows and so doesn't mention (and my mentors didn't know)? Or am I wrong in my idea?
Last edited by raisins on Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakeB
500 Club

Re: heel to toe vs toe to heel walking?

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:20 am

Growing up I was always told heel to toe also.

I much prefer toe to heel and feel it works better for me. I can somewhat sort of dig my way in through small sticks and leaves with toe first.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:22 am

raisins wrote:I grew up with my dad and uncles always telling me to walk heel-toe to be quiet. I still think that is best when trying to cover ground, with most of the quietness coming from laying down the foot somewhat slowing and also picking your steps and path wisely. However, when slowly stalking, I find it is much better to poke around with your toe first to find a quiet area and then laying the foot down slowly toe first. This also allows you to not commit to a step and pull your foot back. If you try that with the heel first, then you are likely to lose balance and step anyways.

Is this just common sense that everyone knows and so doesn't mention (and my mentors didn't know)? Or am I wrong in my idea?

If your walking the line for a sobriety test, walk whichever way keeps you up and in a straight line. I walk heel to toe. An older guy showed me this and we were able to sneek up on a young buck at a scrape.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:35 am

I still crawl ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:26 am

Way more control toe first plus which sounds more like a human to a deer ? I would say heel to toe
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:17 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
raisins wrote:I grew up with my dad and uncles always telling me to walk heel-toe to be quiet. I still think that is best when trying to cover ground, with most of the quietness coming from laying down the foot somewhat slowing and also picking your steps and path wisely. However, when slowly stalking, I find it is much better to poke around with your toe first to find a quiet area and then laying the foot down slowly toe first. This also allows you to not commit to a step and pull your foot back. If you try that with the heel first, then you are likely to lose balance and step anyways.

If your walking the line for a sobriety test, walk whichever way keeps you up and in a straight line. I walk heel to toe. An older guy showed me this and we were able to sneek up on a young buck at a scrape.

Yeah, whatever is easiest and still gives you the sound of a dog walking on a hard floor. I find toe-to-heel sounds better, but takes more time and is a little higher effort if you're worried about overheating. I find that the second part of that "cla-clump" has more of an accent on it and I find I can replicate that second accent better with my heel.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03 am

I am a toe first or whole foot, just go down slow, like very slow and you can feel any twigs that might snap and just be more quiet overall. If you go slow the rest doesn't matter.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 am

I actually walk on the outside edge of my foot a lot when stalking or trying to be quiet...not sure why, but I've noticed it works for me.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:35 am

Ninjas walk toe to heel....so there's that :lol:

https://youtu.be/HvjgQqNOq9A
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:26 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:

Yeah, whatever is easiest and still gives you the sound of a dog walking on a hard floor. I find toe-to-heel sounds better, but takes more time and is a little higher effort if you're worried about overheating. I find that the second part of that "cla-clump" has more of an accent on it and I find I can replicate that second accent better with my heel.

Actually it doesn't sound like a dog on a hard floor. When I get to the point where I need to be quiet, it's slow steps and more of a slow rolling heel to toe. It's not regular steps or a regular walking stride.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:

Actually it doesn't sound like a dog on a hard floor. When I get to the point where I need to be quiet, it's slow steps and more of a slow rolling heel to toe. It's not regular steps or a regular walking stride.

I forgot to preface my comment with that's how I walk when being quiet isn't really in the cards. I think I misinterpreted the OP. So doing that is how I sound like something with four legs instead of two on surfaces where quiet really isn't in the cards. Sometimes the state of the grass or leaves just won't allow it. I've heard others say sound like a squirrel. It's actually worked for me on a few occasions, just haven't gotten clean shooting lanes.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:10 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I actually walk on the outside edge of my foot a lot when stalking or trying to be quiet...not sure why, but I've noticed it works for me.

Yep. I use all 3 tactics depending on angle I am trying to step, if I am stepping over something, sliding my foot under a clump of grass or branch or something or if I am going around a tree or something...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:26 am

Toe to heal making a noise in the leaves with each one. Will sound like a four legged animal walking. I have used this with success walking near bedding. I don’t use the deer walking technique all the time , most times I want to be silent
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:32 am

I was taught to feel for branches & twigs - whatever makes you happy.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:41 pm

These fellas seem pretty light on their feet....something to consider. :think:

https://youtu.be/hbWc2Cyl0Bc

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”