Still hunting tip

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tundra@1

Re: Still hunting tip

Unread postby tundra@1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 am

I agree with the binocular tip. I never hunt without mine.. Styrka 8 x 32 with the Rick Young Outdoors hang on system, only way to go

AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:03 am

Mschmeiske wrote:I don’t know if you do or not, but I know JoeRe mentioned wearing white too to blend in better. Goodluck!

ok don't laugh at the question: Does Joe wear white in the snow to blend in better or white against the green and browns to confused the deer? ...Serious question.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:29 pm

AndreSaavedra wrote:
Mschmeiske wrote:I don’t know if you do or not, but I know JoeRe mentioned wearing white too to blend in better. Goodluck!

ok don't laugh at the question: Does Joe wear white in the snow to blend in better or white against the green and browns to confused the deer? ...Serious question.

White to blend in better 8-)
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 am

Thanks for answering the embarrassing question, I never discount anything and always willing to try anything if it will help me be a better hunter, just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.
HISBounty
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HISBounty1/

Unread postby HISBounty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:21 am

I love to still hunt and hunt from the ground when I have a muzzleloader or rifle in my hand a lot. I hunt the mountains and both of my bucks this year came at ground level. The #1 piece of advice I can give is LISTEN. Use your ears to hear game. I’ve killed a lot of deer by hearing them well before I could see them and was ready when they showed. Protect your HEARING at all cost. Listen for birds and squirrels they will give up a deers location as well. Walk SLOW when your in your hunting area and don’t stop in the open. Always stop beside the next tree so you have cover and a rest. I personally don’t like walking the very tops of ridges because I feel like if I bust a deer it’s much harder to get a shot or look at him down hill and typically they won’t stop if running down hill. If I jump one and he is headed up a lot of times they will stop before topping over and provide a shot opportunity. Some places I do walk ridge tops but I like it to be a place with good cover below or feed flats where I can slip up and glass them for bedded or feeding deer. But ALWAYS stop and listen before you can see in the next holler there may be a buck headed around the ridge to you and your best bet is to stay put. Check out my videos from this season. In Public Land Buck I explain how my ears killed that buck and man was it an exciting hunt. I heard him way before I saw him. I was in the bottom and he came down the ridge to me waiting on him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV63Xa ... 4g48Q6-nFw
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:33 am

1/2 mile an hour is a good speed.
Walk faster in open areas, only after you've stopped and visually dissected the opens areas...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 pm

AndreSaavedra wrote:Thanks for answering the embarrassing question, I never discount anything and always willing to try anything if it will help me be a better hunter, just wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

It’s been my experience that wearing white depends on how you are going to hunt.
If it has snowed and I’m on the ground I’m wearing my white.
If there is snow on the ground but not in/on the branches or brush I may wear white on the bottom and regular Camo on top.
If I’m in a tree stand I’m probably wearing regular Camo.
I was busted one of my first years using white in a tree stand from across a field by a Doe about 220 yards away at last light, because she was able to see me move.
It was a very snowy day but, up in the tree the white stood out.
I really believe had I taken off my whites before I went into the stand I would have taken that Doe.
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:1/2 mile an hour is a good speed.
Walk faster in open areas, only after you've stopped and visually dissected the opens areas...

I'm no expert but the big buck i harvested this year and the 2 big ones from last year were all from still hunting. I go about 100 yds per hour. You are sprinting compare to me, not saying your wrong just comparing the 2 styles. If I go a mile from dawn to dusk it's a lot.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 am

AndreSaavedra wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:1/2 mile an hour is a good speed.

I'm no expert but the big buck i harvested this year and the 2 big ones from last year were all from still hunting. I go about 100 yds per hour. You are sprinting compare to me, not saying your wrong just comparing the 2 styles. If I go a mile from dawn to dusk it's a lot.

Good point.
With 5-7 deer/sq mi and snow cover I push thru known areas due to experience on the lands hunt.
I don't really still hunt w/o snow...
I do in-season scout fast though ;)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:35 am

I have gone 200 yards / hour after a known swamp buck.
I'm not that patient, especially when it's hot, sticky and buggy...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”