Shoot the biggest buck on the farm or pass?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Shoot the biggest buck on the farm or pass?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 am

If you had a nice 8/9 pointer that was likely the biggest buck on on a farm you hunt (that has other hunters) that you’d seen all season but it’s not as big as what your really after, would you shoot it and be happy or pass and keep plugging away for what you really want elsewhere?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
matt1336
500 Club

Re: Shoot the biggest buck on the farm or pass?

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 am

He’d be dead if I was pulling the trigger
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:20 am

mheichelbech wrote:If you had a nice 8/9 pointer that was likely the biggest buck on on a farm you hunt (that has other hunters) that you’d seen all season but it’s not as big as what your really after, would you shoot it and be happy or pass and keep plugging away for what you really want elsewhere?

Well if that buck is the biggest buck in the particular area that you are hunting then there isn't really any point in going out to hunt there if you are not going to shoot him. RIght?
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:37 am

cspot wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:If you had a nice 8/9 pointer that was likely the biggest buck on on a farm you hunt (that has other hunters) that you’d seen all season but it’s not as big as what your really after, would you shoot it and be happy or pass and keep plugging away for what you really want elsewhere?

Well if that buck is the biggest buck in the particular area that you are hunting then there isn't really any point in going out to hunt there if you are not going to shoot him. RIght?

This^^^
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:18 am

I would pass, look elsewhere for a buck that makes me happy and look to see if the buck makes it another year.

You can’t control if someone else shoots him but there’s a 100% chance he doesn’t get any bigger if you kill him this year.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:00 am

If you have higher goals then pass. It you’d be happy try and take him.
Persistence is undefeated.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 am

cspot wrote:

Exactly my thoughts
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:16 am

Appreciate the input. Sometimes I wonder if I’m just too picky. This particular buck I don’t believe is THE biggest buck around but he’s the biggest one we’ve seen all year on that farm. It’s been hit hard with ehd.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:31 am

I find that often the most dominant buck in an area is not always the biggest. If you take him out it leaves a void that is usually filled pretty quick due to the lack of competition. This has happened to me several times over the years on one particular farm and the next buck to take over that position has always been a much nicer one.

Edit:. I'll add that if it's the case that he's not big because he's not old yet then maybe give him another year. Otherwise I'd shoot him.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:18 am

Good question? Lots of unknown variables here. If your only hunting the farm then you need to think about this. Either your after the biggest buck in there or you are hunting ghosts. If you have other places to hunt and are not bothered by the possibility to have some tag soup then hunt on and keep looking. He may or may not be back next year. It's nice to think he will but lots can happen between now and then. Also you need to ask yourself how much time you got to dedicate searching for another buck. Do what makes you happy. Dont lok back at the season with regrets with the decision you make. Good luck
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
lyndon57

Unread postby lyndon57 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:34 pm

If its not what you are really after......I think you know the answer.
No need to strap on the beer goggles.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Keep plugging away unless you would be truly appreciative of that deer. If the deer makes it and you kill it next year it only makes it that much better. If someone else kills it and they are happy it wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for you passing it. That sometimes is worth it to see someone else kill a deer that you have had dead to rights.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:00 pm

They are your tags. Fill them as you see fit.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:46 pm

If I wouldn’t shoot the biggest buck on the farm, I’d have a hard time hunting that farm
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm

Since I don’t hunt for scores biggest on the farm might mean highest scoring? I’ve targeted lower scoring bucks that to me look better or cooler in my mind. But if it don’t make you happy then why shoot it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”