Making good better...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: Making good better...

Unread postby hunting_dad » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 am

I would say my best asset is persistence

My best way to improve it is to make sure I’m not being persistent in doing the wrong things.

I’ve found that being persistent is a good quality, but that doesn’t mean that you should be persistent in hunting areas without fresh sign, or hunting more than scouting, or over hunting areas. I believe that’s why it’s so important to have a bunch of options to go to, and also why you should try to have a plan A,B and C before you head out. Good topic Dan.

Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:05 am

For me its persistence. Its been 10 years since I killed a nice buck, yet I've still enjoyed every season. Any sane man probably would have thrown in the towel by now. Now its a matter of using that persistence in conjunction with these new tactics I'm learning from you guys. Then I should be at least on my way towards some more successful seasons.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am

I would say persistence and having fun are my best attributes. I will stay at it and keep my chin up even when things are going poorly in the hunting department. While I get disgusted at times, I am usually able to laugh it off. Maybe not right away, but at least the next day or 2. :lol:

Sometimes my persistence can be a bit of a downfall as I sometimes will hunt an area or a stand based upon past success assuming that if I stay at it then the same success will come again in the same place. I also think at times I am not aggressive enough. I feel I have improved in both of these areas alot this year, but I think there is more room for improvement.
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am

Like many on here I’d say persistence, but really that word doesn’t come close. It’s more like a burning desire. A sickness that 99% do not comprehend. It’s that driving rain in the face making you smile type of grit. Although I often hear the “ keep it fun” phrase thrown out there, for me pushing the boundaries and my sanity is “fun”. It’s how I’m wired for better or worse.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Shot SELECTION. I am not a great shot, never could stack arrows, and realize I shouldn’t be taking iffy or long shots. I generally have the discipline to pass questionable shots, but realize and take the killing shot when it presents itself.

I recall setting up in a new tree in the dark about 4-5 years ago, end of November. MONSTER doe walks right at me and ends up directly under my platform. Behind her was a giant buck, his deep brown bases seemed the size of coke cans. He stops at TEN YARDS, but in da thick stuff, bunch of small saplings. No ethical shot in my mind. Would most guys let one fly and risk a bad shot or wounding the animal? I don’t know, maybe, but that ain’t me.

Shot my biggest ever at 8 yards this year after passing him at 10 yards through a questionable lane; luckily he took a favorable turn and I made it count. Right through the heart.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I love challenges. Deer hunting is a puzzle I obsess over and this obsession gives me grit to overcome the physical challenges. I go crazy strategizing but this resets me each year. If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck so I have learned to laugh at the things that would cause most people to give up. Then when I don’t give up I have also learned to appreciate the small victories.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:05 am

My obsessive nature. If it wasn't for that, I would've never stumbled across The Hunting Beast in the first place.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:20 pm

First of all , I just love to hunt. Also closing the deal, is not always that important to me anymore. There was a time in my life, that I was so big buck nuts, so driven, it got crazy,,,,, yes it paid off, but it took a toll on me. at that time I was in my late 30's early 40's.

My best assest is I have learned to hunt smarter, not harder. Being retired is a plus, I can not tell you how I wish I could have retired at 35 ha ha, wouldn't that be the life. Having the time to hunt is a great asset......

I also have a great mental attitude, since I love it so much. I always believe that when I go out, something is going to get killed. I am not going out for a walk, I am going out to kill deer..........

Myles Keller once told me, "if you only have 20 minutes to hunt", get into that stand............. that was great advice. I use to think too much about preparation, etc, so many times, I thought, do not have the time to get ready right. I learned , hey, do what you can, just grab your bow and go, do not over think it...................

Never miss the last legal shooting hours of the day......
Carpkiller02

Unread postby Carpkiller02 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:59 am

I’m very challenge orientated. I’ve become obsessed with targeting mature bucks in the north woods of wisconsin and the u.p. (Basically in the last year or so since finding the beast). I decided over the summer that I’m moving from SE wisconsin up to the NE part of the state, not necessarily because of hunting but it’s an added plus. Now I get the sarcastic comments from friends like “good luck shooting bucks up there like you do down here”... challenge accepted.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:07 am

My best asset..... this place... I don't have decades of life experience, nor anyone else in my life who ever has hunted. This forum has been invaluable. My father was a dead beat and my mother and sister are vegans... Yea, so it's kind of a strange road that has me here chasing whitetail at this point.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 am

Map analysis is probably strongest thing that helps. Prior to my current job, I spent a decade in spatial analysis (digital map research). Twice this year, I put a dot on the map, walked to it, and a mature buck was sitting on the "dot".
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:50 am

Positivity and persistence in the face of adversity.

The challenges along your journey are not obstacles, they are the path
what one man can do another can do
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:09 am

Just gonna go ahead and say x2 to everything thats been said. I think its why we are all members on this site. Our desire to learn, never say die attitude, open mindedness, joy of the hunt itself, and so on. Its a great community to be a part of, and i'm glad to have stumbled across the Beast Brotherhood.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”