Shoot down a drone being used for scouting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Shoot down a drone being used for scouting?

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Findian wrote:I have a good 1000 dollar drone you’re lucky if you could even make out a what kind of deer it is in real time.

And yes I bought it for scouting purposes the nice thing is is That I can fly it around and see real time arial photos. I use it in the big woods looking for new broken beaver ponds that were once full of water. I Also see what is planted in the fields in the hard to see spots from the road.

And yes at least up in northern Wisconsin the drone has scared the deer away.

Good to know! Maybe I won’t shoot at it next time, might push some deer my way!

Strategically Inefficient
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Use in the off season is no different than using aerials like GoogleEarth. IMHO. Just think it would be unethical for spotting game in season.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Stingray713 wrote:Had a guy flying a drone overhead on some public I was hunting Sunday.

I’m sure he was using it to scout/locate deer.

Only had slugs with me, if I had some buckshot or just something with pellets I would have shot it down.

Any thoughts?

It frustrating and bothersome when your trying to hunt, but still, wrecking someone's stuff is wrong.
lyndon57

Unread postby lyndon57 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 am

Public lands, during season, and someone is operating a drone.
1.) Hunter harassment laws?
2.) Drone elevation

If its another hunter doing the droning, shame on them.
Then again the other option for that hunter is to walk
through the area your hunting so they can do their
prime time scouting. What does more damage?
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:16 am

Stingray713 wrote:Had a guy flying a drone overhead on some public I was hunting Sunday.

Only had slugs with me, if I had some buckshot or just something with pellets I would have shot it down.

Any thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate here....How do you know they were trying locate deer, and not just filming/flying it for some other reason (just playing with a new toy, just filming wilderness, doing some type of survey work for the DNR, etc...)
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Pretty soon the wardens will fly one to your stand and demand to see your license....that would be fun

My neighbor is the warden for the county I spend most of my time hunting and he has talked about possibly using drones, but more so to look for certain things like bait piles and such. He made it a point to say the point of them utilizing the drones is not to interfere/harass someone hunting, unless of course they have probable cause to investigate.
How bad do you want it?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Pretty soon the wardens will fly one to your stand and demand to see your license....that would be fun

My neighbor is the warden for the county I spend most of my time hunting and he has talked about possibly using drones, but more so to look for certain things like bait piles and such. He made it a point to say the point of them utilizing the drones is not to interfere/harass someone hunting, unless of course they have probable cause to investigate.

I'm sure they will or do use them, finding bait piles probably makes sense and would save a lot of leg work. I just don't want a swarm of drones buzzing around :lol:
MarshRunner1

Unread postby MarshRunner1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:48 am

I wouldn't personally but that's because I'm close to an airport and shooting in the air probably wouldn't go over too well. The WI DNR deer hunting regulations say that its illegal to hunt any animal with the aid of any aircraft, so I suppose it could be used for scouting.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Marshbuster89 wrote:

I'm sure they will or do use them, finding bait piles probably makes sense and would save a lot of leg work. I just don't want a swarm of drones buzzing around :lol:

Lol yup! I told him, “that’s all good and fine, but if I get screwed by one of your drones..don’t forget that I know where you live!” :lol:
How bad do you want it?
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 am

Stingray713 wrote:All they would see in WI is PredatorTC posing with big bucks

8-)

Or MI or OH

:lol:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:46 am

Racks&Beards wrote:

Any thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate here....How do you know they were trying locate deer, and not just filming/flying it for some other reason (just playing with a new toy, just filming wilderness, doing some type of survey work for the DNR, etc...)

I was set up in a transition of hardwoods and 3/4 year old cutovers. There are two 40 acre cutovers divided by a big creek that’s feeds into a river.

The guy flew the drone along the edge of two big ag fields in the river bottom, then up the creek and dropped it down really low and scoped out every inch of the two cutovers.

I hadn’t thought of this before, but maybe he was looking for a dead deer that he or someone he knows shot.

So with that in mind, I’ll probably hold off on the anti-aircraft fire for now.
Strategically Inefficient
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:57 am

I wouldn't do it. To me its no different than another person's personal property like a trail camera, permanent stand, or tree tack.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:01 am

Stingray713 wrote:

I was set up in a transition of hardwoods and 3/4 year old cutovers. There are two 40 acre cutovers divided by a big creek that’s feeds into a river.

The guy flew the drone along the edge of two big ag fields in the river bottom, then up the creek and dropped it down really low and scoped out every inch of the two cutovers.

I hadn’t thought of this before, but maybe he was looking for a dead deer that he or someone he knows shot.

So with that in mind, I’ll probably hold off on the anti-aircraft fire for now.[/quote]

Yeah that's another possibility. I'd definitely be calling authorities about it though just to let them know regardless.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:53 am

Had one get pretty close to me in October while on stand. I was annoyed....3o minutes later a guy and his 10ish year old daughter walked through my set looking for it. I got down and helped. It was a good reminder, its public land, and there are more important things than my 1 hunt. Glad to see a kid bonding with her dad outside.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 am

stash59 wrote:Use in the off season is no different than using aerials like GoogleEarth. IMHO. Just think it would be unethical for spotting game in season.

My exact thoughts. Scouting tool not a hunting tool. Just like cell cameras imo
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”