THP Ted's DIY Public Land Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

THP Ted's DIY Public Land Buck

Unread postby cspot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Latest video is up. Pretty cool video as Ted shoots one from the ground at 5 yards. He really gets excited after the shot. :lol:

I have bowhunted some from the ground, but not much as I always feel like I need to be in the air. Seeing how these guys consistently do it though has given a desire to maybe consider it a little more than I do now.

cspot
500 Club

Re: THP Ted's DIY Public Land Buck

Unread postby cspot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Ted also had a unique use for his tether and Ropeman. :lol:
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Ted’s a killer! He’s had a great year and it’s a riot to watch him all fired up! Lol
Lowcountry

Unread postby Lowcountry » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 pm

cspot wrote:Latest video is up. Pretty cool video as Ted shoots one from the ground at 5 yards. He really gets excited after the shot. :lol:

I have bowhunted some from the ground, but not much as I always feel like I need to be in the air. Seeing how these guys consistently do it though has given a desire to maybe consider it a little more than I do now.

I’ve never bow hunted from the ground, but these guys are going to make me try it, probably this weekend depending on the weather. That was a hammer Ted missed on the last episode...
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:54 pm

I just spent the last 5 days in ND and never once took the stand with me. I had more opportunities and being just outside of the game than I feel I ever would of with a stand. The ability to move to where you need to be is key not to mention the rush of being eye level. I honestly think I'll hardly ever use a stand again. These guys last year proved to me it's possible and continue to show it. I took my MT buck from the ground this year as well.

THP is top notch
Lowcountry

Unread postby Lowcountry » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm

tbunao wrote:I just spent the last 5 days in ND and never once took the stand with me. I had more opportunities and being just outside of the game than I feel I ever would of with a stand. The ability to move to where you need to be is key not to mention the rush of being eye level. I honestly think I'll hardly ever use a stand again. These guys last year proved to me it's possible and continue to show it. I took my MT buck from the ground this year as well.

THP is top notch

I guess like the op said I always feel the need to be in the air, especially bow hunting, killed plenty with a gun from the ground though, good climbing trees are so plentiful here as well. I don’t hunt any ag land or food plots and such, but have plenty of marsh land to try my ground game on.
Truth From The Stand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/

Unread postby Truth From The Stand » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:11 pm

I grew up hunting from the ground with a gun. This year I hunted from the ground once based on the set up needed to attempt a bump and dump. Buck lived to see another day but that one hunt sold me on making the ground game a more used tool in the tool belt for future hunts. I think a guile suit (at least jacket) is in my future....gonna go all in!
Truth From The Stand Deer Hunting Podcast—http://truthfromthestand.com/

Facebook—https://www.facebook.com/TruthFromTheStand/
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Truth From The Stand wrote:I grew up hunting from the ground with a gun. This year I hunted from the ground once based on the set up needed to attempt a bump and dump. Buck lived to see another day but that one hunt sold me on making the ground game a more used tool in the tool belt for future hunts. I think a guile suit (at least jacket) is in my future....gonna go all in!

You never grew up
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm

I shot a doe this year sitting on the ground at 15 yards. It's the first one in a long time I shot with the bow on the ground and I really enjoyed it. Different type of rush. Like others have said, plenty shot with a gun from the ground.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:31 pm

In m opinion you mess up a lot more encounters from the ground vs a stand and I dont have the numbers of quality deer to be doing that, but you do what you have to do.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I guess it depends on where your hunting..... I am on the ground 90 percent of the time, moving in the bluff country, ,,,, I have plenty of encounters, and get a lot of shooting,,,,,,,,,,,, we got deer meat, but yet to pull the tag on the buck I want,,, passed several,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its another style of hunting, that you really need to be a beast at,,,,,,,,, its a style you need to know how to do.............

I hunt tons of water, and marshes, and high grass areas, etc................. This year, in a few weeks in one camp, hunting public in SW Wisconsin, I saw a lot more bucks, than some in their trees,,,,,,,,,,,, However its another adventure,,,,,, and you have to be serious at it...............

Its another game that is fun to play............ the tree stand gang, have their milkweed, (good) but the ground game I use my bic lighter, also excellent,,,,, its all good
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:42 am

crankn101 wrote:In m opinion you mess up a lot more encounters from the ground vs a stand and I dont have the numbers of quality deer to be doing that, but you do what you have to do.

That is a fact, but it is so awesome. The main reason I like doing it is that I feel “tied down” in a tree and can’t make an immediate move if I have. My confidence is on the ground
How bad do you want it?
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:58 am

Marshbuster89 wrote:
crankn101 wrote:In m opinion you mess up a lot more encounters from the ground vs a stand and I dont have the numbers of quality deer to be doing that, but you do what you have to do.

That is a fact, but it is so awesome. The main reason I like doing it is that I feel “tied down” in a tree and can’t make an immediate move if I have. My confidence is on the ground

Since I've started using a saddle, i don't feel "tied down" to the tree anymore. I can make moves a lot better and quieter now.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:10 am

In my opinion the main reason people mess up on the ground more is because they aren’t good at it. And they aren’t good at it because they don’t try it enough.

If you want to be a good ping pong player, you’ll never get good at it unless you play a lot of ping pong ;)

In my mind it’s no different than learning to hunt from a tree. You wind up making dumb mistakes. “Crap! I moved too soon. I should have picked a tree that wasn’t so close to the trail. They’re sky lining me in this tree.” Etc etc

When you’re starting out on the ground you WILL make mistakes... just like you did when you were learning how to hunt. To get good at it, it’s not good enough to read about it. You won’t learn by thinking it over a million times in your head. You have to go out and do it. Make your best guess, HUNT WITH CONFIDENCE, learn from your mistakes and make an adjustment next time.

Every time a doe walks by without staring you down you’ll gain confidence. Eventually you’ll kill and gain a ton of confidence. Next thing you know it will be an effective tactic for you.

It’s really not THAT hard. It just takes some practice.

I think the biggest thing is going for it when you aren’t sure it’s going to work. You will learn one way or the other, and learning is the goal.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 am

Lockdown wrote:In my opinion the main reason people mess up on the ground more is because they aren’t good at it. And they aren’t good at it because they don’t try it enough.

If you want to be a good ping pong player, you’ll never get good at it unless you play a lot of ping pong ;)

In my mind it’s no different than learning to hunt from a tree. You wind up making dumb mistakes. “Crap! I moved too soon. I should have picked a tree that wasn’t so close to the trail. They’re sky lining me in this tree.” Etc etc

When you’re starting out on the ground you WILL make mistakes... just like you did when you were learning how to hunt. To get good at it, it’s not good enough to read about it. You won’t learn by thinking it over a million times in your head. You have to go out and do it. Make your best guess, HUNT WITH CONFIDENCE, learn from your mistakes and make an adjustment next time.

Every time a doe walks by without staring you down you’ll gain confidence. Eventually you’ll kill and gain a ton of confidence. Next thing you know it will be an effective tactic for you.

It’s really not THAT hard. It just takes some practice.

I think the biggest thing is going for it when you aren’t sure it’s going to work. You will learn one way or the other, and learning is the goal.

Good post and definitely agree.

I went to one of THP's scouting workshops this past winter and they were really starting to get confident in the ground setups (Zach especially). I could tell by talking to them that they were iffy about it at times too, but they have the footage to prove it works. They spoke as much on confidence as they did tactics. I heard Aaron say more than once that when they got into a spot, "I know that the buck is in there". Even though he didn't know for sure, he said that if you went into a spot doubting it that you would for sure screw it up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”