Trail cam ethics poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you or have you ever viewed another persons trail cam you found in the woods?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 134
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: Trail cam ethics poll

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm

PK_ wrote:I generally avoid going anywhere near them if I can. Just my reclusive nature is guess.

So what about hacking to view WiFi cams??? It is already being done...

I'm too stupid to hack anything. Haha

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I've not done it, but wouldn't feel too bad doing it if the situation arose.

I've seen the debate on here before about hunting a stand left on public. If its the right tree or only tree for a given spot and I'm there first, I would think about it, though generally assume if there is a permanent stand that seems to be getting used I'm better off moving on. Always varied responses there too. Personally, I don't see the harm in it, and wouldn't object to others doing the same for a cam I put out. Now deleting their pics so they get bad intel or something of that nature I wouldn't support.

I agree that deleting is wrong...maybe even deleting the images of me is wrong. What are your thoughts on deleting pics of me? I could honestly give a strong argument that they deserve that intel as well. I would like to know someone has been in the area. Although i can usually tell when someone has been in an area i frequent.

Pretty impartial to that, not entirely relevant. I always make sure to get on cameras I pass if its a good area just in case they decide too much pressure and move on!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:34 pm

CRK925 wrote:Why is this even a debate?

My 3rd grade teacher taught me the golden rule. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Don't mess with other people's stuff. Simple as that.

Again never done it, don't go looking for them, but I do agree with what you wrote. That said, if they didn't damage it, steal it, or erase pics, I wouldn't give a second thought to someone doing the same to me. Just not something that would bother me. Given the overall tenor of the responses here, I'd probably think twice about doing it for the first time now.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 pm

stash59 wrote:Watched a video on placing cams for elk, out in AZ. Each watering hole must have had a dozen different cams on it. No one messed with another's cam!!!!!

I'd be afraid of getting caught by the cam owner. My luck he'd be some big ornery baffoon, or a gun toting angry redneck!!! Either way I'd end up hurt!!!!

But if it involved something illegal. The cam just may get damaged!!!

I'm not really afraid of getting caught. I would be just as honest as I am being here. If they have that big of a problem with it , I guess we'd settle it there.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

My 3rd grade teacher taught me the golden rule. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Don't mess with other people's stuff. Simple as that.

Not a debate, it's a poll. If I went by the Golden Rule, then I am doing exactly how I wouldn't mind being treated. As mentioned it wouldn't bother me if they checked it as long as I don't steal it.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

I don't touch other people's property so I'd prefer them to return the favor. Typically I don't have a problem with other hunters with my cams (other than this season) since I'm generally the only bowhunter up by me. The bird hunters generally keep to themselves and keep on walking. The bear hunters up by me are a bit different and I cannot vouch for them.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Kraftd wrote:

Again never done it, don't go looking for them, but I do agree with what you wrote. That said, if they didn't damage it, steal it, or erase pics, I wouldn't give a second thought to someone doing the same to me. Just not something that would bother me. Given the overall tenor of the responses here, I'd probably think twice about doing it for the first time now.

I was definitely thinking it was going to be more of a 50-50 turn out. I figured most people wouldn't care as long as it wasn't stolen as well. Mainly because that's how I thought.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:44 pm

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:I don't touch other people's property so I'd prefer them to return the favor. Typically I don't have a problem with other hunters with my cams (other than this season) since I'm generally the only bowhunter up by me. The bird hunters generally keep to themselves and keep on walking. The bear hunters up by me are a bit different and I cannot vouch for them.

Seems to be the theme. Thanks

sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Ten percent of cameras you find in the woods have been abandoned by someone who lost interest or died. At some point, you're doing everyone a favor by cleaning it up. Clean it up by stealing it? No. But inspecting it, noting how long it's been there, and borrowing the pics? Not a problem.

The ten percent number is a guess of course. But if you think 100% of all cams in the woods will be removed by their owners, you're wrong.
Randy Lahey

Unread postby Randy Lahey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 pm

This behavior is no different to me than someone going through my unlocked vehicle in the public parking lot and looking through my things. The other person purchased, set and maintains that camera and you are not entitled to the information from it. Access to the property is open to the public, but specific information about the animals utilizing the property is something you have to put in your own work for.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:02 pm

sureshotscott wrote:Ten percent of cameras you find in the woods have been abandoned by someone who lost interest or died. At some point, you're doing everyone a favor by cleaning it up. Clean it up by stealing it? No. But inspecting it, noting how long it's been there, and borrowing the pics? Not a problem.

The ten percent number is a guess of course. But if you think 100% of all cams in the woods will be removed by their owners, you're wrong.

I agree partially. I have checked games at have had dead batteries. Stolen cards already. In a few that have been out there almost 2 years with dead batteries but the card still in them.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Randy Lahey wrote:This behavior is no different to me than someone going through my unlocked vehicle in the public parking lot and looking through my things. The other person purchased, set and maintains that camera and you are not entitled to the information from it. Access to the property is open to the public, but specific information about the animals utilizing the property is something you have to put in your own work for.

If you don't think I put in my own work you're wrong. I work harder than any other Hunter I personally know. And I would say a vehicle is much more personal than a trail cam. So that's a little bit of an extreme comparison but understand where you're going with it. Kind of how I said I wouldn't want someone going through my cell phone if I left it laying around but again a little extreme because it's more personal

Randy Lahey

Unread postby Randy Lahey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:28 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:
Randy Lahey wrote:This behavior is no different to me than someone going through my unlocked vehicle in the public parking lot and looking through my things. The other person purchased, set and maintains that camera and you are not entitled to the information from it. Access to the property is open to the public, but specific information about the animals utilizing the property is something you have to put in your own work for.

If you don't think I put in my own work you're wrong. I work harder than any other Hunter I personally know. And I would say a vehicle is much more personal than a trail cam. So that's a little bit of an extreme comparison but understand where you're going with it. Kind of how I said I wouldn't want someone going through my cell phone if I left it laying around but again a little extreme because it's more personal

The amount of work you put in doesn't negate the fact you're taking advantage of someone else's. Someone else's property is their property regardless how insignificant you perceive it to be.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Randy Lahey wrote:
Eddiegomes83 wrote:

The amount of work you put in doesn't negate the fact you're taking advantage of someone else's. Someone else's property is their property regardless how insignificant you perceive it to be.

Understood. Thanks

dsayer

Unread postby dsayer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 pm

I don't ever touch cams I find in the woods but I do give them a wave. I have, on occasion, decided to crawl by on my hands and knees acting like the biggest buck in the neighborhood, too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”