Blue Jay Signals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Blue Jay Signals

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:21 am

When I took my bowhunter education class the instructor told us this. I pay attention but as mentioned it isn't always a deer. Or could be it's moving the other way and I don't get a chance to see it.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 am

I always pay attention to the animals when hunting.
Even when not hunting such as scouting, because you can learn so much!
Also, it is not just that they are making noise.
Listen to how they make “different” noises.
Many have said that blue jays always make noise and they do. But what noises they make can tip you off to when something is coming and squirrels too!
The differences in pitch, complexity of sounds they make and the rate of repetition all can be signs of what is happening in the area.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:20 am

Like others have said I think there is some truth in it. I heard blue Jay's fussing in the direction the buck I shot this year came from, about 30 min before I seen him. There is a THP video from last years deer tour where Aaron talks about this also.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:18 am

One thing with the jays that helps is knowing the bedding you are hunting. If you're hunting field edges or rut cruising spots, not likely to get much out of them. If you're in on bedding is when I find it most useful. When I hear a jay cawing in or around known or suspected bedding, especially near evening, I get ready. Many times it seems to signal a deer getting up and moving for me.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 am

While sitting if I hear the Jays light up I pay close attention to that direction. More often than not they will be alerting due to a deer. Now when I am just walking in the woods and hear them light up I start looking for who/where the illegal bait pile is!!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 am

Kraftd wrote:One thing with the jays that helps is knowing the bedding you are hunting. If you're hunting field edges or rut cruising spots, not likely to get much out of them. If you're in on bedding is when I find it most useful. When I hear a jay cawing in or around known or suspected bedding, especially near evening, I get ready. Many times it seems to signal a deer getting up and moving for me.

Yep!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”