Accessing a bedding area??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crittergetter76

Accessing a bedding area??

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:47 am

I have a section on a small 23 acre that is very thick and the does bed in there all the time. It seams like they bed there on any wind. There are several scrapes and rubs on the edges of this area every year but it is almost impossible to hunt because I only have one access point.
I’m considering just making a big loop and coming around to get set up. Only issue is my access is on the upwind side. I will be several hundred yards upwind of the main bedding area.
What do y’all think? Wasting my time?

Crittergetter76

Re: Accessing a bedding area??

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:51 am

08C81EBE-5E21-4CE6-A1E0-7D3E6E8E9E99.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crittergetter76

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:55 am

Red outline is my 23 acre section.
Yellow X is my only entry point.
Green circle is main bedding and entrance and exit trails.
2 pin drops are cameras.
Blue is wind direction
It is surrounded by private property.

I’m thinking about walking the perimeter on the top side and setting up on the red x on left side. Go in several hours early hoping my scent will disperse before anything exits the bedding area at dark. But my wind will blow toward the bedding during my entrance.
Thoughts???
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:50 pm

In that scenario, if I wanted to set up at the red X I'd walk the perimeter, but around the East and South sides instead.
Not much further to walk and all downwind.

(Assuming you oriented the map with North at the top.)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:22 am

Tough spot.

I would hunt it when the wind turns to anything but northerly.

Or I would cut shooting lanes into the bedding from downwind side and setup pretty close to the road during gun.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Crittergetter76

Unread postby Crittergetter76 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:37 am

KRONIIK wrote:In that scenario, if I wanted to set up at the red X I'd walk the perimeter, but around the East and South sides instead.
Not much further to walk and all downwind.

(Assuming you oriented the map with North at the top.)

Yes sir, The map is oriented north and south.
That would be the ideal scenario, the only issue is it is so damn thick on the south edge along the fence line it is impassable to walk through. Especially without blowing everything out of the bedding. I tried to get permission from the property owner to access his side using the powerline. But they will not return my phone calls and do not live on the property. My plan for next season is to have an access trail cut along the fence line to be able to hunt it with a north wind.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 am

You would be all set if you wait for a west wind to hunt there. Just don't go all the way across the deer trails to the furthest one west. Set up more to the east, like where your cam is.

Also I'd be kind of surprised that those deer are using that bedding area and those trails on a NW wind.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 am

Some bedding areas with restricted access are best accessed two full hours before daylight and then I would plan on sitting all day (if I wanted to hunt it more than once or twice a year). I would try to determine where the does are feeding and then walk the perimeter to avoid their Am entry trails. Since it is a doe bedding, it obviously is best to wait until last week oct - nov to hunt. I would wait for the right conditions to line up (food, wind, etc.) and then get in there early on the downwind side where I guessed the bucks would cruise to check doe availability. I personally would not try to hunt this small of an area and try to access it while the does are already bedded.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”