Reporting Other Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Reporting Other Hunters

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:32 pm

This season has been a rough one for me as I am still looking for my first kill. What has made this extra frustrating is other hunters who are in the areas I am hunting and not following the rules. Have found two baiting sites, which are illegal on public land here. One of these places I heard the guy shooting with a gun when it is archery only.

Also am able to hunt a property where we are assigned the days when we are allowed to hunt. Ran into a guy who wasn't supposed to be there and he admitted that he hasn't paid any attention to the days when he actually has permission. Then showed me a picture of an 8pt he killed near where I have been hunting.

Super frustrated with all of this but for some reason I have yet to call the DNR and report anything. Would love anyone's advice or discernment when to report someone.

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Reporting Other Hunters

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:54 pm

I call in baiting a few times a season. It doesn't hurt to give the officers the intel, they appreciate it even if they can't act on 100% of it. It's so freaking stupid and disrespectful to bait/mineral on public land. If I witnessed jacklighting or something else major, for sure. Stuff I consider more ticky-tack I don't call in.

I called in illegal permanent treestands for a couple years, because they really wad my panties. They did nothing about them, even some egregious wooden stands, so I stopped reporting them. If there is a law on the books, IMO it should be enforced. But that law takes too much manpower to tear them down, so most of our public lands look like ladderstand junkyards.
Last edited by elk yinzer on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Sounds like you have enough reasons already. It will not change and only get worse until it’s reported and the officials are aware. If nothing else, it will get the CO’s to start paying more attention, as well as the violators. Sorry to hear you’re dealing with these people, but usually there’s more good people than bad that you’re dealing with. Hope that helps
jcraig0313

Unread postby jcraig0313 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your rough season dealing with bozos not following the law. I run into permanent stands all the time on public in areas where equipment needs to be taken out each day. I avoid those areas just like the deer knowing there is heavy hunting pressure in those spots. That being said, trust your gut. If you see something that you know is illegal like baiting or using guns out of season, let the wardens know. The people willingly breaking the rules don't need or deserve anything less than a citation and an encounter with DNR. I'd talk to the person who owns the property about the individual not respecting their assigned hunting days. I know if I was the owner and folks were not following or respecting my guidelines that those individuals would no longer be allowed to hunt my property. Additionally the folks who kill deer while breaking the rules know deep down that they cheated. There's no honor in cheating. Good luck with the rest of your hunting season!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:20 pm

I can understand not calling in everything a guy sees that's questionable, but sometimes an area/property is turning into the wild west where anything goes.....if you don't call it in it won't change.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Keeping order is our responsibility on public ground. No different than keeping it cleaned up.
I am still chasing my first kill of the year. Any minute could be the one. Stay focused and persistent.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:17 pm

If you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem! :whistle:
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:48 pm

I would just move to the next spot and get on with my hunting.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Lockdown wrote:If you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem! :whistle:

If you dont report violators you're not doing your job as a land owner. Public lands belong to everyone, that means its your land as much as it is anyones. If you see something wrong you have every right and more importantly a responsibility to report it.
Jphill87

Unread postby Jphill87 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:42 pm

I suppose it would depend upon how big the offense is. While I think the laws are valuable and are there for a reason I would have a very difficult time reporting someone to the dnr unless it was an action that was clearly unethical and had the potential of causing harm to people, habitat or the well being of the wildlife on the property. Leaving a tree stand up seems like the real world equivalent to breaking the speed limit. Laying down a bait pile is like cheating on your taxes. I know people who break the speed limit and cheat on their taxes. They are clearly in the wrong but am I in the wrong if I don’t report them to the authorities? Would it be better to confront them yourself? I suppose my point is to not be so legalistic about what others do in the woods unless your willing to apply the same same standard of legalism to the laws the people break in civil life.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm

jcraig0313 wrote:Sorry to hear about your rough season dealing with bozos not following the law. I run into permanent stands all the time on public in areas where equipment needs to be taken out each day. I avoid those areas just like the deer knowing there is heavy hunting pressure in those spots. That being said, trust your gut. If you see something that you know is illegal like baiting or using guns out of season, let the wardens know. The people willingly breaking the rules don't need or deserve anything less than a citation and an encounter with DNR. I'd talk to the person who owns the property about the individual not respecting their assigned hunting days. I know if I was the owner and folks were not following or respecting my guidelines that those individuals would no longer be allowed to hunt my property. Additionally the folks who kill deer while breaking the rules know deep down that they cheated. There's no honor in cheating. Good luck with the rest of your hunting season!

I honestly think that the people that do cheat, kind of get off on cheating. They don't care. Just like when a poacher gets his license revoked, it doesn't really do anything, they weren't following the rules to begin with. I really think fines and penalties should be way harder than they currently are especially for repeat offenders and brash disregard for the law.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:58 pm

HunterBob wrote:This season has been a rough one for me as I am still looking for my first kill. What has made this extra frustrating is other hunters who are in the areas I am hunting and not following the rules. Have found two baiting sites, which are illegal on public land here. One of these places I heard the guy shooting with a gun when it is archery only.

Also am able to hunt a property where we are assigned the days when we are allowed to hunt. Ran into a guy who wasn't supposed to be there and he admitted that he hasn't paid any attention to the days when he actually has permission. Then showed me a picture of an 8pt he killed near where I have been hunting.

Super frustrated with all of this but for some reason I have yet to call the DNR and report anything. Would love anyone's advice or discernment when to report someone.

I'd call it in. You can remain anonymous in some places but I usually send them a message on Facebook or a text. Then I feel like I've done my part and can somewhat feel less irritated about it. Was in a place one day that ppl were hunting from around 430 am running dogs and spotlighting, shooting up everything they saw. I didn't have signal so had to drive to find it but when the wardens showed up they were already gone. Was the worst opener I've seen. After they stopped never heard another shot the whole weekend. I know some ppl would say to just forget about it but the whole mentality of the ones that break the law are not only stealing from the public but can put others in danger if they might Hunt and such.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:17 pm

Maybe it's because I wasn't such an upstanding citizen in my early days, but having been in trouble "once or twice" when I was a kid, I have an awfully hard time actually calling the law on someone. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket in twenty years but for some reason it's still ingrained in me not to do it. I wish it wasn't, sometimes I get really upset at the things I see. Maybe that makes me part of the problem, I'm not really sure.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:If you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem! :whistle:

Yup
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Dewey wrote:

Yup

I guess I'm part of the problem. I'm not comfortable calling the law on people. Judge all you want, that's how I feel about it.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”