SE WI "Early Winter" and swamps??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: SE WI "Early Winter" and swamps??

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 am

The transition from water to ice during the rut doesn't happen too often but my experience over the years tells me it doesn't change travel a heck of a lot. I killed bucks after hearing them coming while busting through ice. When rutting bucks are on a mission not much stops them.

The different factor this year is very deep water. That has already drastically changed travel so if you stick to what's been working you should be fine. When the marshes and swamps get locked up early before the gun season I get extremely worried because it's going to be a big time slaughter. Hopefully we get a big warm up before the orange army.

gunner24

Unread postby gunner24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm

hunted a swamp tonight that had been slightly frozen over, however, still breaking through. didn't see a thing nor did I hear a thing. I had a camera out there since Oct. 1st. that I hadn't checked yet. Pretty good movement with a few different bucks and one shooter up until early November then it was like someone flicked a light switch. dead. This about the same time we started seeing some of the first ice in spots. Coincidence? Maybe, but I do think it matters. I don't think they like walking through that crap if there are other safe spots in the area they aren't breaking through every step and making a bunch of noise.
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:14 pm

The definitely seem to vacate semi frozen areas. Not sure where they go. Still trying figure that out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:13 pm

A few nights ago I had a small buck come out of the cattails that had knee deep water but was froze over with maybe 1” of ice. The ice couldn’t support me but surprisingly the buck tiptoed across it just fine. Think I heard him break thru once on his way out. I guess four legs spread the weight much better than two.
Nimrodhunter

Unread postby Nimrodhunter » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

Should have done some more digging! I just posted a very similar question! Good info
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:49 am

In my experiences, most deer will avoid skim ice if they have any other places to bed, even if they’re second preference.
If the parcel is heavily pressured then they’ll dive in regardless especially the big bucks they just seem to go in earlier and come out later. They hate making all that noise as much as we do, but they’ll do it, usually at a snails pace.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:35 pm

Good distinctions Hatchet. Thanks
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”