Loose Lips Sink Ships

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VaBowKill5

Re: Loose Lips Sink Ships

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

I told the mechanic that I parked there but I killed the deer in the very back of the piece of ground near the top of the mountain. Idk if he will buy it or not. The place is only good when the acorns hit in there which they did this year and it’s not like it’s my only spot to hunt but it’s a really good spot to check out when you have to be out of the woods fairly early but you still could kill a good one. I have had “buddies” thru the years that are only around to mooch spots and have ruined some good places.

VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

There is a man that’s probably 25 years older than me that I have learned a lot from about killing big deer in my area over the years. He has taken me to some incredible places on public land and killed some studs to boot. All the places he has shown me I won’t even go and hunt the same property let alone the exact spot just out of respect but I always tell him that once he dies I’ll be in there lol. I was really with him growing up just trying to find what made these spots so good but most people don’t see it that way.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I learned early on to keep quiet. It got so bad I had to start hiding my truck or parking elsewhere and hiking in.

Careful with the "lies".

I had a buddy in highschool...up and down me about where I killed a spring gobbler. He wanted me to tell him down the road from my house...we couldn't drive yet but could hunt alone.

I lied and told him I shot it on the other side of town. No joke he killed the biggest spurred bird I've ever seen come from PA there. The Spurs were ridiculous. I just had to laugh as I knew he was gunna go wherever I said. Accidentally sent him to a spot with turkey lol.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm

I’m surprised. 200 yards from the parking lot and you asked for help.

One thing with these overlook spots. I would never tell a soul. I find myself sometimes walking in circles to throw people off.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Well when I called my wife she was at their house so he knew I had shot a good buck and offered to help. Second, after the shot he ran down into a deep gorge. Could I have done it by myself yeah probably but not very easily and at the time I really didn’t think it was a bad decision.
TrophyFishR

Unread postby TrophyFishR » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 pm

this happened to me last year.

Now I can't hunt that spot anymore, I lost permission over it.

Greed, envy & jealousy, cost me a world class spot.
Go as hard as you can, for all long as you can, while you still can.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Kraftd wrote:I’ve had one of my best friends and fishing buddies ruin three of my favorite fishing spots for me. He’s a super social guy and honestly can’t help himself. Love the guy but the days of sharing every spot with him ended 15 years ago. Hasn’t been an issue since. Luckily he’s an awful deer hunter and wouldn’t listen to me me even I tried to make him better!

Had a good friend. Took him to an area for spearing but it was also my lobster honey hole during season.
When I went for lobster season there were 4 boats and 30 people hitting it.

Never again do I divulge
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 pm

This is why I cringe every time I see a public property named on the internet. It's a world-class rookie mistake.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:31 pm

It‘s to the point you can’t trust anybody anymore. Social media breeds a lot of this and spreads it like wildfire. You have to be real careful what you say or pics you post because you never know who’s watching. I know from my own experience lurkers here at the Beast who never once posted are a huge threat that nobody even thinks about. Loose lips do indeed sink ships.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:23 pm

“In the woods” is the only answer I’ll give. Unless pressed, then I’ll drop “on private land”.

I don’t have any good buck spots on public yet, but will have to keep a lid on them when I do find one.

Tough lesson, but as long as you don’t repeat it, nothing that will break you.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 pm

It’s not just “ships” it’s “friendships”. People get really stupid over big bucks
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm

95% of people won’t go where I hunt because you have to be part mountain goat to get there. But I very rarely give away exact locations.

I have had issues with people in the past but I just found a new spot as I am always moving around anyway. It’s on me for telling them.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 am

brancher147 wrote:95% of people won’t go where I hunt because you have to be part mountain goat to get there. But I very rarely give away exact locations.

I have had issues with people in the past but I just found a new spot as I am always moving around anyway. It’s on me for telling them.

I have to agree with you. My favorite area to hunt on public is deep in the mountains and like you said I could give most people gps coordinates and if they came once they wouldn’t come back but this has always been a good spot for a quick hunt in early November.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:17 am

When they load up the area, the deer will move, just gotta find where they go.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 am

If some of you would just stop shooting so many big bucks you wouldn't have this problem.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”