Bad hits and follow thru...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jurist

Re: Bad hits and follow thru...

Unread postby Jurist » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:11 am

It is easier to stab the deer in the chest then it is cut their throat.

A knife in the chest will cause them to expire forthwith. I have tried both ways and in the chest is quick and clean.

That is a nice buck I would have spent days trying to find it, nice work guys.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:13 am

I'm glad they got the buck....not fun at all when that stuff happens. Ugly.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 am

It was a 20 yard shot, quartering away. he hit about 10 inches to the right. Im sure having the biggest buck he has seen in the wild at 20 yards got him worked up.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 am

Can I just ask out of curiosity why they never put another arrow in it? Seemed like they had several chances to do that.
Kylet

Unread postby Kylet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 am

That was tough to watch. I would have thought that after the first time that they walked up on it still very much alive, to have brought a bow along for a follow up shot. And to not yell back and forth to each other.
I very much appreciate all that you guys video and share, but there are times when you leave the camera in the truck and take care of business
Congrats Craig on a great deer
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Kraftd wrote:Can I just ask out of curiosity why they never put another arrow in it? Seemed like they had several chances to do that.

When they 1st tracked it, with no blood trail, they expected to find it dead, or not find it... After they new it was still alive they did take there bows and took several shots at it. There was no bow in the last clip, cause they left there bows behind when chasing the deer out of yards, back onto there property. When they got back onto the property they ran across it again. I removed a lot of footage to make it more palatable.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Good video! Thanks for posting. It’s not a perfect world in blood sports.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

That was tough to watch but unfortunately happens. Thanks for using the video footage as a learning experience. I’m sure some will bash it on the Youtube comments but that’s pretty typical no matter what.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:24 am

Thank you for making the video. You are correct, people don't get the whole picture of what can happen from hunting shows.

And yeah you can't really walk around a neighborhood like that here with a bow or shooting a deer in a yard, without people going out of their minds.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 am

Daring to go where others fear. Rock on dan. And congrats to your friend that is a beautiful buck and quite the ending for him hunting that property.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:32 am

Awesome buck ! Was hard for me to watch as well. To sit back and think us as hunters are the reason deer like that have to suffer because we could not do our job right. I am guilty as well. I spine hit a 8 point early this season and he dropped and was trying to leave with his front two legs and I am up in my mobile stand, strapped in. As he was moving I knocked another arrow and got him in the neck and still was trying to go. By the time I lowered my bow and got down he had expired. Yes it does happen but when it does i sit back and wonder if hunting is worth it at times.
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:41 am

Beautiful deer. I agree, that video was hard to watch. I couldn't help but think "Oh, no" when the buck was first found with his head up and they were yelling back and forth and started walking towards it. It is a very harsh reality of hunting, bowhunting especially. I spine shot an 8 point early October and had to get down to put another arrow in him. The "death grunt" he made is something that still sends chills up my spine. I can't help but feel remorse and a sense of failure when such a majestic animal suffers because of my failure to make a good shot.

That being said, the emotional qualms of that does not come close to making a poor, but fatal hit and then not recovering the animal. Kudos to them for persevering and recovering the deer, but hopefully they also learned from the experience where next time they can put it out of its misery a little sooner, which would be better for both them and the deer.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 am

It's hard to watch because we hunters are still human. Not blood thirsty killers. Killing and butchering farm animals is tough to watch too. But death is an integral part of life. Glad they kept at it and recovered him.

My first bull elk with the bow was similar, sans the front yards. Hit an unseen twig and the arrow deflected into the liver. I knew that an elk could go a ways. So, took up the bloodtrail almost immediately. Followed pinhead sized drops for 2 hours up a steep hillside. Then it totally petered out. Decided to walk the 4 trails that forked off of the main uphill trail. Just for about 60-70 yards to try and find sign of which one he took.

Found him bedded on the 3rd one. Didn't get a shot. The farther he moved the stronger he got. Finally I was just running behind him, following by sound. Ended up in super thick pecker pole lodge pole pine, area. Which he could move through much faster than me, plus it got dark. But this seemed to open his wound back up.

Came back mid morning with a buddy, next day. And finally found him early afternoon. Dead in his last bed. Just takes persistence. And some confidence that you can find them.

Super proud of that bull and the tracking job, search effort. But that situation with the marginal hit still leaves a little of a bad taste in my mouth!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:37 pm

That was a tough one. But the reason you posted it and your messages were outstanding. Thank you for doing it. Takes some nads to do a show like that.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”