If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:20 am

I've seen this topic discussed again and again on the net. This is usually the time in the discussion where the " if I control my scent the deer will think I was here a long time ago because my scent is weaker and they won't react" guys show up. If a deer can smell as good as they say the deer probably thinks " Hey that guy over there is wearing a scent loc suit and had pizza last night and coffee and buttered toast this morning, he thinks that the scent spray he dusted himself with is making a difference and I would suggest that he wash the inside of those stinky rubber boots because they reek".

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 am

They have the ability, but no one has proven anything about how deer react, to different levels of scent.

Say I didn't shower for a week. I would go from a point where I didn't stink and couldn't smell anything, to a point , gradualy getting worse, to where I could smell myself.

I went from a few scent molecules to thousands, the area of smell gets bigger and bigger as they disperse.

How are coyote trappers able to fool canine noses? Why do deer go to scrapes people made. Why are coon dogs able to follow trails better in moist conditions, and not dry?

There are different concentrations and conditions that affect scent.

I just don't understand the mentality that it dosen't matter at all, there's nothing you can do so forget it.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:41 am

Spysar wrote:They have the ability, but no one has proven anything about how deer react, to different levels of scent.

Say I didn't shower for a week. I would go from a point where I didn't stink and couldn't smell anything, to a point , gradualy getting worse, to where I could smell myself.

I went from a few scent molecules to thousands, the area of smell gets bigger and bigger as they disperse.

How are coyote trappers able to fool canine noses? Why do deer go to scrapes people made. Why are coon dogs able to follow trails better in moist conditions, and not dry?

I just don't understand the mentality that it dosen't matter at all, there's nothing you can do so forget it.

Every deer I shot was because I was able to stay downwind. Every mature buck that got down wind of me ran away. This is true regardless of whatever scent control I attempted. That's why I developed the mentality I have.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:56 am

I'm going to guess that the debate rages on because some people have had success in places where deer are vey tolerant of human scent. THEY STILL SMELL YOU. EVERY TEST PROVES THIS. I see this all the time on TV. Watch how the deer come in unaware then all of a sudden they stop and test the wind. You can plainly see they detect something. They freeze up for a while then carry on. I'm not lucky enough to hunt those kind of deer. If I did then I might change the way I view scent control.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:01 am

About all you can do is use scent free soap/laundry detergent, stay as clean as possible and play the wind/thermal currents.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:18 am

Zap wrote:About all you can do is use scent free soap/laundry detergent, stay as clean as possible and play the wind/thermal currents.

yep...thats all i do if time permits

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:03 am

Zap wrote:About all you can do is use scent free soap/laundry detergent, stay as clean as possible and play the wind/thermal currents.

That's all I really do anyway...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 am

I will stick to my scent program, it has been workin for me for a long time. I want my scent stream as narrow as it can be. My deer smell humans every day almost all day, so I just want it to seem like its a hired farm hand across the feild then me right up in the bedding area. If my deer waited for the coast to be completely clear they would never be able to move not even at night. I want to be as clean as possible, might be a head thing but I'm not changing it for nothin. Ground scent is the most important thing to me, after haveing the wind right. If I use a gallon of scent killer, soap, and wash my clothes a few more times a season, and it gives me a few seconds that I need to get the arrow into a mature buck that is downwind of me it was worth it. I dont use suits, just stay clean as possible any more.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:42 am

If you would price a scentlok base layer to that of one not scent free or just a quality longunderwear/shirt the price is not that much more.For something that wicks moisture is comfortable and keeps you warm you guys wont pay $30-$40 more.And if it actually does keep you scentfree that just gravy.The $400 suits now that is a little crazy IMO.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:53 am

goldtip5575 wrote:If you would price a scentlok base layer to that of one not scent free or just a quality longunderwear/shirt the price is not that much more.For something that wicks moisture is comfortable and keeps you warm you guys wont pay $30-$40 more.And if it actually does keep you scentfree that just gravy.The $400 suits now that is a little crazy IMO.

yea............. i probly wasted 500 on scentblocker just to find out that it dosent stop your scent :evil: :evil: it dosent mater what you ware THE WIND NEEDS TO BE IN YOUR FAVOR i still have that stuff wear it here and there but realy the mental thing has got to me, if it dont work why were it its not even comertable to "ME" anymore! the zippers wear out and brake ,and the stiching rips easy :roll: idk im just stressing i guess :|
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 am

I found Men's Scent-Lok Savanna EXT Deluxe Coveralls at Sierra Trading Post last year for $80 (free shipping). I bought two. Now, just like most of you guys, I don't think that the carbon suits eliminate my scent, no matter how clean or "activated" I keep it. By I am an opportunist. I don't allow bias or prejudice hold me back from a great deal on a good quality hunting garment. And the quality of the garment can't be denied. I love them, and they will last for years to come. Do I think they will help me kill the big boy? Nope!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:26 am

I was BIG into scent control most of the past decade, I will just say that I have been busted too many times to put any faith in the stuff when it comes to mature bucks. Watching marsh buck for the first time was like a breath of fresh air, I went out and gave away all my scent control stuff and have not looked back since.

I don't think going scent free will hurt you, it might even give that extra split second to get a shot off, if I was hunting one smaller property I would probably try and stay as clean as possible, but overall, for me it's just not worth the trouble.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Wash my clothes in baking soda. Air dry them outside most days unless raining. Bath in scent free Dove soap during hunting season. Wear scent free deodorant.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Spysar wrote:
dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:Would you hunt with cologne on? Or gas on your clothes? Or clothes in moth balls? Fragrance soap or shampoo?

It doesn't matter, right?

I wouldn't do it on purpose... But I don't think it matters much. I do often leave work and hunt in my oily dirty work uniform. I personally believe deer spook mostly from human predator scent.
I think they don't know what colone or gas is...
For example, I have seen deer walk right up to my parked truck or an atv, down wind with little reaction, but on more than one occasion I have seen deer come unglued from crossing a stray cats scent trail. I even have one of the cat times on video.. The difference is in the predator scent.

Why not do it on purpose, if it dosen't matter? And you said doesn't matter "much" What would the circumstances that it mattered be?

Considering I only wear cologne about 3 times a year I can't see putting it on special to go bowhunting.. If I had some need to, I would. But there is no need to wear cologne in the woods.
I would not hesitate to go hunting after going out wearing cologne without washing to one of my best spots at all.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:32 pm

They have the ability, but no one has proven anything about how deer react, to different levels of scent.
I beg to differ... Most of the tests I have read about or seen were based on several levels of "clean"
From dirty smelly unwashed, to washed without scent suit, to scrubbed clean, sprayed down, and wearing a magic suit... The levels of scent did not matter.

I often live out of my truck while hunting for several days without a shower.
The problem with your statement is your comparing your sense of smell to that of a deer that smells millions of times better.

I don't think your spreading any more skin cells because of B/O and even if B/O does effect deer, it only effects them in the wind stream leading from you to the deer... If your downwind of a road killed skunk, your going to smell it even if someone hoses it off... A lot of the scent will be washed away, but to your nose a scent that strong will be smelled regardless and you will have a good idea of where exactly that skunk is.
Deer smell millions of times better than us. Not a little better. They also have a vomernasel organ we don't have that can sense a minute scent within a strong scent and I believe through observation that they know about where you are when they smell you.

Are you talking about fresh human scent and cologne? Or are you talking about ground scent?
It is not hard to fool a coyote if you don't get human scent on the trap.
Both deer and dogs smell better in wet conditions. Get down wind, dry or wet they smell you.

Yes, but if your scent stream hits a deer that can smell miliions of times better than you. He will smell you and know your there.

I just don't understand the mentality that it doesn't matter at all, there's nothing you can do so forget it.

The way I see it is that it makes "very little" difference... What your doing might one day put another buck on your wall. But, hunting the extra 20 minutes your spending with your scent control routine hunting, and you will have far more success than trying to beat a deers nose...

I will turn the table and say this:
If scent control is "REAL" why not just wash all your scent off spray your magic spray and hunt directly up wind of the deer. If you believe you can eliminate the deers sense of smell or trick him into thinking you are farther away, have at it... No reason not to!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”