how do you react after the moment of truth

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: how do you react after the moment of truth

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Usually I'm in some kind of shock :o . which goes to a pumped up adrenaline pumping through me :twisted: , to a happy all night party all night! 8-)

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Dewey wrote:I am dead calm and focused all through the shot but shortly after I release my arrow I have to sit down because I go into a full body shake like I am suffering from hypothermia. This usually lasts about 10 minutes and until then I won't even think about climbing down from my stand.

This feeling is why I bowhunt and when it stops I guess it's time to hang it up.

just like me :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Depends what I just arrowed but I don't get all crazy and act like I'm on drugs or anything. The guy mentioned above I like to call Stan POT because he looks and acts so drugged out after shooting a buck. All the emotion is something I just don't understand but we are all wired different and all react different. I am not knocking anyone for celebrating, I think its funny but annoying after a while on the shows with all the fist pumping etc. My favorite is Dan Perez who just calmly turns to the camera and says " A lot went into the harvest of this animal ........"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:47 am

Like most here, I'm usuallly calm untill I release the arrow, then I get the shakes and just have to sit down till I gain my composure. If its a doe this feeling is a lot less intense.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:13 am

I am fairly calm on the outside, kind of bursting with excitement on the inside with a good kick of adrenalin. Not so much shakes but more of a nervous anticipation, but a good nervous if you know what I mean. I also try and stay focused on the animal and soak up as much as I can in a short amount of time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 am

I'm generally in a very controlled "kill mode" until that deer either drops or gets out of sight, then I lose control of most of my bodily functions. The past few years it's been "worse" because I have had so much less time to prepare scouting wise and so much less tree time since I have kids, huge sense of accomplishment getting it done lately. This goes for most anything I shoot. When I don't get this feeling anymore I will switch to spear hunting or something.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:59 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Shaking, trembling knees, etc...!! I like to reflect on the journey that got me to this point. I give thanks silently up above. There is also a little sadness with taking a life of a beautiful animal such as a Whitetail!! Buck or doe it don't matter, nothing beats bowhunting!! ;)

Same here!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:34 am

i watch the deer till out of site and listen till all is quiet, then sit down and replay the scenario, mentally mark spot deer stood at shot try to spy my arrow from tree then pray that i find the deer if i dont either see it fall or watch it go down. thank the lord. if the shakes come i remain seated till they go away. if i have more than 1 tag/doe tags i will re-knock till i get down depending on where i am hunting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:41 am

I can feel a little rush of adrenalin if its a buck I have been after... I don't get the huge rush I did when I was younger though.
On a side note, I hunted the same camp with Potts and a bunch of other "celeb's" and I thought out of the whole group of N.A.W. guys ( before the split up ) He was about the only one who impressed me as a down to earth guy who deserved the status he was getting... He didn't seem to have the "big head" that some of the other guys had, and seemed to really be humbled that he has had the opertunitys he has had over the years. He certainly did not want hunting advice from anyone... He wanted to learn the propertys and hunt one on one with the buck. Everybody else only seemed concerned with where the best spot should be and if someone could get a stand set up for them.
Not sure if he is still like that, that hunt was 15 or 20 years ago, but I don't think people change that much.
So I say go ahead and scream like a girl if you shoot one Stan... Im ok with that! :lol:
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 am

Anyone who has seen our videos knows I act like a little girl on speed. Wait til I actually kill something big on-camera. It's gonna be a mess.....
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 am

dan wrote:I can feel a little rush of adrenalin if its a buck I have been after... I don't get the huge rush I did when I was younger though.
On a side note, I hunted the same camp with Potts and a bunch of other "celeb's" and I thought out of the whole group of N.A.W. guys ( before the split up ) He was about the only one who impressed me as a down to earth guy who deserved the status he was getting... He didn't seem to have the "big head" that some of the other guys had, and seemed to really be humbled that he has had the opertunitys he has had over the years. He certainly did not want hunting advice from anyone... He wanted to learn the propertys and hunt one on one with the buck. Everybody else only seemed concerned with where the best spot should be and if someone could get a stand set up for them.
Not sure if he is still like that, that hunt was 15 or 20 years ago, but I don't think people change that much.
So I say go ahead and scream like a girl if you shoot one Stan... Im ok with that! :lol:

stan is the man.............ooooo wait, dan is the man :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:38 am

WKPTodd wrote:Anyone who has seen our videos knows I act like a little girl on speed. Wait til I actually kill something big on-camera. It's gonna be a mess.....

No offense Todd but you act you're on speed all the time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:25 am

Unless I here or see them crash, I usually just stand there and watch/listen for as long as I can. I always imagine the hit as being not immediately fatal and prepare to take up the trail when necessary. I feel that preparing for the worst helps me stay calm and cool, and it helps me observe the necessary clues so that if I do have a bad hit then I made all the right moves instead of sitting around and being 100% sure I made a perfect hit. I err on the side of caution and try to stay calm until I get my hands on the deer.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:04 pm

Not sure what I will do when I harvest anything this year with a bow. Last year was my first seaon. I had heard many say they had trouble making the shot due to nerves, rifle or bow. Me, I had no prolems at all. First deer was a doe. She started out of the edge of the woods into the pasture and stopped. Turned and started back in. I hit my Premos lil can and she stopped and headed back. I found her in my scope. I didn't like the shot I had so I waited. Calmly might I add. I found her in the scope again and waited until the shot was exactly what I wanted and squeezed. I knew I hit dead on. I watched her all the way until I didn't see her. Listened for her to crash waited a min or so then the excitment hit. I liked to have come out of my stand. Same with the second one. I feel like it will be the same with a bow but, I will probably want to cut a back flip out of the stand. I wont of course but, I will be excited enough too.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:19 pm

i definantly hold it all in until after the shot, then i let it all go!!!
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”