Hunting A buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Hunting A buck

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:20 am

I always understood that a buck never leaves his bedding area exactly the same way every day. So why wouldnt you hunt the same tree 3 days in a row at least? wouldnt it raise your odds of getting a specific buck? Your 3rd sit could be a virgin sit if the buck has not walked through that spot in 3 or so days.

dreaming bucks

Re: Hunting A buck

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:28 am

That's a good question Predator........ I suppose as long as your entrance and exit route doesn't cross his, and the wind is right, you could do it.... But I guess I never heard they don't take the same exit route from their bed twice in a row.... interesting.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 am

I was always under the impression that they exited and entered their beds pretty much the same way from day to day, but maybe Im wrong??

Good question TC..looking forward to seeing what others have to say about it..
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:36 am

dreaming bucks wrote:That's a good question Predator........ I suppose as long as your entrance and exit route doesn't cross his, and the wind is right, you could do it.... But I guess I never heard they don't take the same exit route from their bed twice in a row.... interesting.

I've never heards that either. It goes against my field observations also. Depending on the bed sometimes there's only one or two ways in or out unless pressured. Then they have multiple ways out in hill country dropping down steep ravines etc. In hill country the bucks when traveling will take the easiest path and most times on points only gives one or two ways to travel unless there's a gradual slope up or down the ridge point.
Flat farm country they could have multiple directions to travel but they always seem to have their go to trails they use out of their bed and then switch directions away from their bed.
Marshland may be different.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:42 am

Maybe the trail you though he leaves on is the one he's going to use to come back to his bed in the morning? I guess the point is you never know and rather then risk it you just only hunt it once? Im just thinking out loud though im not the best person to answer this question.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:10 am

I would think it's dependent on the situation, sometimes you have one of those conveinient set-ups where there is a ultra low percentage he will cross your path entering or exiting his bed allowing you to push the envelope.....and on the other hand there are those set-ups where wind, thermals, or tight swamp trails will give you away after only hunting it once. In most cases I think you just have to go with your gut and not be afraid to fail, thats how you learn
When better is possible, good is never good enough
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:39 am

I guess I have always thought a buck would enter and exit a bedding area based on a variety of conditions from food, weather, wind, pressure, rut, moon, terrain features, or even personality. His entrance and exit might appear random but wouldn't he always have a reason for doing what he is doing? During any given 3 days I could see a buck using the same entrance/exit or using 3 different entrance/exit based on the variables in the area.

The main reason I would not hunt a bed 3 days in a row because the buck might smell you have been in the area and start to feel the pressure. If you are fairly confident the buck is using the same entrance/exit and his night activities don't bring him across your scent then I would maybe try and hunt that area again. Then again, if you are fairly confident of his entrance/exit you should be setup on top of him and either get your opportunity or burn your bridge. Of course every situation/area is different so there could be some circumstances when you would want to come back the next night and give it a shot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 am

PredatorTC wrote:I always understood that a buck never leaves his bedding area exactly the same way every day. So why wouldnt you hunt the same tree 3 days in a row at least? wouldnt it raise your odds of getting a specific buck? Your 3rd sit could be a virgin sit if the buck has not walked through that spot in 3 or so days.

I dissagree with your opening line... Some bedding areas only have one way in, and one way out. Also, deer just like humans are creatures of habit. Unless something in his pattern changes I would expect him to repeat himself several days in a row.
There are some situations where with the perfect entrance/exit, set up, and wind you could get away with multiple hunts, but why would you want to? If the buck your after is not there the day you set up, he is likely on a different pattern and your wasting your time hunting a spot where he is not at several days in a row...
One of the major problems I have had with hunting a staging area a second day ( when a buck was seen the 1st day ) is when he comes back in the dark he stages around the area and senses or smells you have been there and leaves to another buck bedding area before you get there to hunt the second time...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”