How long is your walk?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

How long is your walk?

Unread postby Ack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:15 pm

Just curious how long it takes some of you to walk in to the public land spots you hunt. I have several trees that are at least a 30-40 minute walk, and a couple that are more than that.......these are pretty much saved for the days when I can commit several hours to a sit. It's tough to hunt these spots when time is limited, mainly because I have to add at least 30 minutes of driving time just to get to these spots.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How long is your walk?

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:09 pm

It varys from a few minutes to over an hour... Its not all about distance either. In the cattail marshes you can go quite a ways on dry land on an easy trail, but the distance you travel in the cattails, deep water, or muck is 10X harder than the dry land walking.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 pm

My prime area is around 3/4 mile, but it's steep ridges and a lot of up and down walking. Takes me well over an hr. as I have to stop and rest a lot. Found a real good area this spring gobbler season that's a mile.....and through steep country and over a thick locust grove, green-brier saddle. Will probably take a couple hrs for me to get there, taking my time trying to keep the sweat down and heart pumping.

My property joins Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois, so I hunt a lot of areas closer in also.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 am

My best public spot is 0.8 miles in.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 am

My private land walks are anywhere from 20-30 minutes and my longest is about an hour taking my time on the long ones so I don't get over heated
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:23 am

My furthest public spot is about .75 miles but it takes about 1.5 hours to get there, closest is just a few minutes
When better is possible, good is never good enough
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 am

Anywhere between 10-45 mins for different locations. The distance varies depending on the type of terrain.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 am

Anywhere from 10 minutes to 2+ hours, distance anywhere from a few hundred yards to 2 miles. Most of the time my longest walks take an hour or so if I need to slow down because of the heat but most of my time is spent going super slow and quiet over that last 100 to 200 yards as I close in on a bedding area. I might be a little too careful because it does seem to take forever as I slowly creep up to my setup but I would rather be safe then sorry. I have to bump deer to get into a lot of these places so the slower the better.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:56 am

dan wrote:It varys from a few minutes to over an hour... Its not all about distance either. In the cattail marshes you can go quite a ways on dry land on an easy trail, but the distance you travel in the cattails, deep water, or muck is 10X harder than the dry land walking.

Pretty much the same for me since I hunt mostly marshes and have a few spots that are over a mile through the cattails. It sometimes takes a few hours over a mixture of high ground and muck with some deeper water in the cattails to get to these spots since I try to sneak in as quiet as possible. I agree with Dan that it is 10x harder walking in this stuff. Travel is very slow!! Getting a deer out is a quite the adventure as well! :o That's why I rarely shoot does and pass on bucks that most people wouldn't hesitate to shoot because of the work to get them out.

Up north I have gone up to a few miles or more when there are logging roads and these are much faster to get to because of the easier walking.

This year I have a few spots that are 2 1/2- 3 miles one way and my plan is to use my mountain bike. I can get there in 15 minutes by bike vs over an hour by walking. This should get me away from the hunting pressure.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:23 am

ive got two pretty productive spots that i can literally see the road, i cant control where the deer bed. i have a few that take an hour or more.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 am

headgear wrote:Anywhere from 10 minutes to 2+ hours, distance anywhere from a few hundred yards to 2 miles. Most of the time my longest walks take an hour or so if I need to slow down because of the heat but most of my time is spent going super slow and quiet over that last 100 to 200 yards as I close in on a bedding area. I might be a little too careful because it does seem to take forever as I slowly creep up to my setup but I would rather be safe then sorry. I have to bump deer to get into a lot of these places so the slower the better.

I remember you saying you hunt alot of boggys areas like me, no wonder your post sounds so familiar :lol:
When better is possible, good is never good enough
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 am

My longest hike is 1.25 miles.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:31 am

google earth measures my farthest spot at 1.67 mi from the parking lot. muck = sucky
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 am

Who walks anymore with the electric side by sides... I drive mine right to my stand zrrrooommmm :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 am

Sometimes far and sometimes not so far.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”