how do i hunt this buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: how do i hunt this buck

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:32 pm

PredatorTC wrote:IMO i would start with spotting the fields to the south and if you dont see him i would put the trail cameras out in the fields nearby and try to figure out how he is coming out with what wind b4 i ever worry about stand placement

Yup. Basically you need to learn more before you try to set any stands. Long distance scouting (I have always had alot of good experiences glassing), trail cameras, etc... You found the bed, that was step one and a big one. Now instead of boogering it up by cutting branches and hanging stands on a hunch he may come through at this spot maybe you need to KNOW you're set in the right spot..... Setting up ahead of time is how you burn a bridge before you even had one. You should be able to gather enough intel to slip in on him on just the right day. Watch that wind closely as predator said, that is HUGE.

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Yes, definitely, if you can get in there and do some very low impact surveillance (i.e.from a distance) from a really good ways off. You will probably learn a lot about his travel habits and, in turn, more than likely find a good place to set up. I've done some good watching/surveillance from a long ways away with a climber and a good spotting scope. Obviously, try to key in those times most likely when he moves in the afternoon/early evening or in the morning if you think he's moving while it's light out enough to see. If I couldn't do that, I'd try to set up on that upside down L or the other "thinner" line of trees.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Double Tap.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm

What kind of crop is in the brown field and is the grass field a clover field or just overgrown weeds?
Like others have said lay eyes on him and pattern him if possible.... if you dont see him for several weeks then maybe resort to a trail cam to see if hes only moving at night.
Thinking that most winds are W or SW in my area, I would hug close to that crop field but scout 3x more than hunt.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
I like the sound of this idea headgear.... I have never tried it either, but sure sounds like a good idea...... Didn't Dan also take a step ladder into a marsh more than once and use this as his treestand ?

Yes Dan did something like this with a ladder and there was another thread I couldn't find where he went into detail on how to setup this kind of ground hunt. I also remember reading one of the Eberhart books and he does something similar.

I still think this bed would be a fun one to hunt in the morning when the moon is right. You know his location, you know he will probably come in on one of those 3 trails so get there nice and early and slay him when he comes home. Just be prepared to sit all day if you can't get a shot in the morning.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 am

RUTIN wrote:What kind of crop is in the brown field and is the grass field a clover field or just overgrown weeds?
Like others have said lay eyes on him and pattern him if possible.... if you dont see him for several weeks then maybe resort to a trail cam to see if hes only moving at night.
Thinking that most winds are W or SW in my area, I would hug close to that crop field but scout 3x more than hunt.

this year its a bean feild im going to shine it acouple nights to see what i can see for deer ill also sit and glass from a distance
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”