Crazy spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
ODH
500 Club

Re: Crazy spots

Unread postby ODH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 pm

I don't have a pic of it but my neighbor abandoned a broken manure spreader at the low end of his alfalfa field some 12 years ago. There's a consistent doe bedding area just into the woods there. The way wind and thermals blow in that corner it's become the ideal hide. Luckily years of rain and winters have cleaned it out.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 am

brkissl82 wrote:
dan wrote:lows.png

Dan....my questions would be how does a dear not spot u in trees like this with no cover? I set up in trees w cover and still get spotted time to time. My biggest obsitcale/worry is getting silhouetted

There is a clip in a recent youtube video of me having a buck come right up to 5 yards in that willow. He did spot me though eventually. But honestly thats the only deer that I can recall ever spotted me in that tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqq1GDydX7M

As far as the other spot, Im backed up against a pine tree the way the deer come from. Just above eye level, just below sky lighted. Sure, I get seen more in those situations than "normal" situations. But the point is to make do with what you have available. My choice is that tree, or be out of the game. So you take your best shot and live with the results. Its the crazy risk taking set ups that have netted great results for me. Im not the kind of guy to bet 1 dollar in a bet, its all or nothing. The thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat. Sitting on the sidelines wishing you were in the game is not for me.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 am

Killed my buck last year with my steps for my saddle platform at five feet in one of two huge gnarly oaks out in a sea of crp. I really doubt anyone had ever hunted there.

The more I scout and look at pressure, the more I look for these type places. Public and private.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am

dan wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:

Dan....my questions would be how does a dear not spot u in trees like this with no cover? I set up in trees w cover and still get spotted time to time. My biggest obsitcale/worry is getting silhouetted

There is a clip in a recent youtube video of me having a buck come right up to 5 yards in that willow. He did spot me though eventually. But honestly thats the only deer that I can recall ever spotted me in that tree.

I guess I dont mean that tree neccessarly, but bean pole like trees in general that have very litte cover esp in the marshes
As far as the other spot, Im backed up against a pine tree the way the deer come from. Just above eye level, just below sky lighted. Sure, I get seen more in those situations than "normal" situations. But the point is to make do with what you have available. My choice is that tree, or be out of the game. So you take your best shot and live with the results. Its the crazy risk taking set ups that have netted great results for me. Im not the kind of guy to bet 1 dollar in a bet, its all or nothing. The thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat. Sitting on the sidelines wishing you were in the game is not for me.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:35 am

I do get busted in the lone beanpole trees a fair amount, but it's also where I have gotten my greatest victories
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 am

Sounds like alot of "risk vs reward" type of hunting that really separates the average joe hunters from the good hunters. Stepping outside of ones comfort zone and doing things the average hunting crowd would deem unacceptable is what it takes to get the job done.
So I guess when we set our goals for the season we need to each ask ourselves how much risk we are willing to take? Doing something that seems crazy or totally against the norm may just land us into the hunt of a lifetime. If you want different results than others you need different tactics.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:42 am

brkissl82 wrote:
dan wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:

I guess I dont mean that tree neccessarly, but bean pole like trees in general that have very litte cover esp in the marshes

I'm certainly not Dan, so take as you will, but I think the other key factor in these kinds of sets and not getting seen, is you're trying ot hunt bucks you are almost certain where they are coming from and how they will approach you. In many cases you have the arrow through them before they would get a chance to see you. Not implying its that simple, but knowing the bedding and travel makes getting away with these things easier. Meaning, don't pick a tree you know there is no chance of getting a shot without being seen. I'm sure in Dan's example, the angle of exit and exact site specific configuration make him comfortable he can e drawn before he gets busted. Sometimes that detail is exactly why you end up in trees like that.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 am

Kraftd wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:
dan wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:

I'm certainly not Dan, so take as you will, but I think the other key factor in these kinds of sets and not getting seen, is you're trying ot hunt bucks you are almost certain where they are coming from and how they will approach you. In many cases you have the arrow through them before they would get a chance to see you. Not implying its that simple, but knowing the bedding and travel makes getting away with these things easier. Meaning, don't pick a tree you know there is no chance of getting a shot without being seen. I'm sure in Dan's example, the angle of exit and exact site specific configuration make him comfortable he can e drawn before he gets busted. Sometimes that detail is exactly why you end up in trees like that.

I would say that's pretty accurate
But I would also say if your pretty sure a bucks in there take a shot at it, what do you have to lose? If you leave him there unhunted eventually someone else or a truck will kill him. If you bump him out, you likely move him to where he is easier to hunt. I would have some pretty empty walls if I never hunted a crazy spot or took a gamble
Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Unread postby Robert501st » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I shot one in between a parking lot of a retail store and the highway. Small 3-4 acre wood thicket with a creek that bordered it and the parking lot.

I have couple similar spots in the large urban/suburban metropolitan area where I live. Hunting in suburbs can be an extreme challenge but geezle pete do they hold whoppers!
“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
Robert501st
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010889027861

Unread postby Robert501st » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:21 am

Totally digging Dan’s first example. I know of an area that has several old willows like that one in the middle and along the fringes of some nasty bedding. There are whoppers living there but I’ve not hunted them because I couldn’t figure out how to set a tree stand.
...Duh. I don’t freakin need one.
“Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” -- H. L. Mencken
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:00 am

Killed a deer last season in a triangle of woods between 2 roads....well. 1 road but makes a hard switch back. We've pushed that area plenty of times over the years. Deer are in there...we've killed some..but usually not. It's just much too thick anywhere we can get sitters...

Had a hunch they cross the road into the open woods. Long drag to the truck. :lol:

I had a few fantastic spots just beyond people's back yards. Also been burnt by their disturbance.

Had a spot on the edge of an apple orchard...I could spit on the neighborhood road to my back.

Hunt the deer and kill them where they want to be killed.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 am

When I first started dating my wife my father in-law offered up I could sit at my wife's grandfathers place. In Chicagoland you jump at every private spot you get a chance at. It was about 7 acres, mostly an open hay field and a couple of apple trees with thick bedding on either side off-property. Climbed in a tree and on the right wind I could have maybe put an arrow in the wooden trussing on the America Eagle at six flags (well not quite but darn close)! Almost got a shot at a double beamed two year old the first night. Hunted it a few nights later and almost stalked in on 135 inch 10 using a little belly in the field at last light. Sat one or two more times over the years, but just never felt right. Almost certainly deer would have died on the neighbors or an industrial park next door, just didn't want to deal with that.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

Kraftd wrote:When I first started dating my wife my father in-law offered up I could sit at my wife's grandfathers place. In Chicagoland you jump at every private spot you get a chance at. It was about 7 acres, mostly an open hay field and a couple of apple trees with thick bedding on either side off-property. Climbed in a tree and on the right wind I could have maybe put an arrow in the wooden trussing on the America Eagle at six flags (well not quite but darn close)! Almost got a shot at a double beamed two year old the first night. Hunted it a few nights later and almost stalked in on 135 inch 10 using a little belly in the field at last light. Sat one or two more times over the years, but just never felt right. Almost certainly deer would have died on the neighbors or an industrial park next door, just didn't want to deal with that.

Man, I kind of forgot about the American Eagle at six flags. That old coaster still running?

I'll have to bring my kids there someday, that was a highlight of my youth. American Eagle, Corkscrew, Batman, Iron (something), those were the days!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 am

When you only have one tiny tree to work with
CIMG6801.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am

dan wrote:When you only have one tiny tree to work with
CIMG6801.jpg

Nice! I've strapped 2 small pines together a few times to make it happen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”