http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: New podcast - the mental side of hunting

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:59 am

muddy wrote:What website got banned from what?

Whitetail rendezvous got banned from Facebook cause people complained about them. Facebook bans you if people complain. No one can post a link to w/r on facebook
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 am

Seriously.... What the heck FacePlant....
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am

Had to laugh at this podcast as it hit home on a few points.

1. My wife and kids always make fun of me because when we are hunting I always have a reason why the next half hour or hour will be the prime time for deer movement. I know I got that honestly from my Dad as he always had many of the same reasons. It is all part of keeping the optimism up and keeping yourself sharp.

2. As far as confidence in a spot and this is something else my Dad was always big on. If we were scouting and looking for spots he would always say hunt where you want to hunt and not where he thought that I should hunt. He was always big on have self-confidence in your spot. He said even if it wasn't the best spot if you believed in it then you were likely to stick it out and not leave early. If you leave then you take yourself out of the game.

3. As far as mentally preparing yourself while sitting and waiting is something that I have always done a lot of and helps me combat buck fever. Even after seeing a buck and while waiting for him to come in, I will still be running through when I will move, what hair on the deer I want to aim at, where is he likely to stop, etc etc. By concentrating on those details I can control my excitement. It also keeps me from rushing a shot.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:30 pm

Sure looks like it's on Facebook to me:
https://www.facebook.com/whitetailrendezvous/
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:33 pm

After further research, the podcast is on Facebook, but they can't link to their website.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
mstavely

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:32 am

quick question for dan or anyone else that knows. i know you had the one podcast/ video with Andrae D’Acquisto on youtube. That was awesome by the way! I thought it was a longer video and there was going to be a second part or did i miss the second part?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:49 am

mstavely wrote:quick question for dan or anyone else that knows. i know you had the one podcast/ video with Andrae D’Acquisto on youtube. That was awesome by the way! I thought it was a longer video and there was going to be a second part or did i miss the second part?

There will be no more videos with him.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am

That was a fun listen! Awesome Dan! I like hearing you talk about other things more nowadays. I know youve done a TON of podcasts and im sure you have the "canned" answers ready for those first time interviews. Not sure how you stay so happy about repeating yourself so much but this one was great!

I have thought alot about my attitude and mental side this past year... Its been rough dealing w other things and very weird not being able think about deer first. Had some other things to deal with and I just didnt have my head right. In fact I probably should have stayed home a few days. I did bail on a hunt which I shouldnt have done...made plenty of wrong decisions.

I feel like i took a step back after years of progressing forward, I still learned alot and killed but I feel re jolted this year! I was more confident years back than I am now. Maybe its age or lack new ground covered. I decided to learn spots I already have better, its a weird feeling not going somewhere iv never been tho. Its like leaving my pocket knife at home or something.

Last season was my first dose of EXACTLY what youve spoke about in past and on this interview. Hunted a ton, put in the work but it was less than previous years and I struggled man. I did see plenty of deer early on, but I did not even see a buck until late Oct and did not see a mature buck until opening day of rifle. Tough pill to swallow when I was on fire for a few years in row...

Cant thank you enough man for the forum and videos. Hands down your one of the best modern hunters out there especially passing on knowledge.

One of my favorite days as a hunter is when people started calling me lucky. One thing that never gets old is showing people my x2 Sept bucks. I love the look on their faces :lol: I hope to get another one someday soon, that drives me.

Great stuff Dan! Congrats on all your success and new stands/sticks
dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 pm

dan wrote:
mstavely wrote:quick question for dan or anyone else that knows. i know you had the one podcast/ video with Andrae D’Acquisto on youtube. That was awesome by the way! I thought it was a longer video and there was going to be a second part or did i miss the second part?

There will be no more videos with him.

Would you care to elaborate ?
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:03 am

There has been alot going on since the hunting beast has been producing sticks and stands. From what I gathered some folks true colors came out when this happened and some started bad talking the guys and doing some shady things related to the business end. Some people dan thought were his friends put money and fame before friendship. I guess when you climb the ladder of success you will hit some bumps in the road, some we can foresee and others that blindside us. As dan has said before, "heavy is the head that wears the crown".
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 am

may21581 wrote:There has been alot going on since the hunting beast has been producing sticks and stands. From what I gathered some folks true colors came out when this happened and some started bad talking the guys and doing some shady things related to the business end. Some people dan thought were his friends put money and fame before friendship. I guess when you climb the ladder of success you will hit some bumps in the road, some we can foresee and others that blindside us. As dan has said before, "heavy is the head that wears the crown".

Absolutely spot on... The better you do, the more some people hate you... Its sad and amazing really to see how people act when you have a little success. After a while you learn to build a wall and your real careful on who you let in. There becomes a bit of a paranoia where you start to believe there are no good people in this world. But if you step back from the hate and look close, there are a lot more good people then bad, its just that you notice the bad comments a lot more and forget about all the people that support you and want you to do well. Thats bad on my side, but I am trying to make sure I remember those of you that do have my back for real, and to make sure I have yours to the best of my ability. While their world revolves on spewing hate and trying to put me down, I just worry about me and the direction im going. If you let it get to you, you fight back, and make yourself look like part of the problem. Taking the high road is always the best. It will all work out in the end. Heavy is the head that wears the crown....

• Advertisement

Return to “Podcast”