Loose lips sink ships...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Loose lips sink ships...

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 am

So what do you guys do when it's time to drag? Sure you could do it all yourself but a little help is never a bad thing.

I just happen to have a few buddies who sort of like to deer hunt and are willing to help me out but they aren't diehard hunters like the rest of us. Not sure if they just don't care or are just too lazy to put the effort, they are also primarily rifle hunters to that might be helping me. Might come back to bite me in the some day but I am pretty confident I never have to worry about them messing up my spots.

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:52 am

headgear wrote:So what do you guys do when it's time to drag? Sure you could do it all yourself but a little help is never a bad thing.

I just happen to have a few buddies who sort of like to deer hunt and are willing to help me out but they aren't diehard hunters like the rest of us. Not sure if they just don't care or are just too lazy to put the effort, they are also primarily rifle hunters to that might be helping me. Might come back to bite me in the some day but I am pretty confident I never have to worry about them messing up my spots.

Yeah I still pull em out myself, I have a good cart. I also have a bone saw in the truck and if I have to in a bottom, I'll saw the deer in half. So far I'm still strong enough to pull em out whole. Some of these bucks though, I swear it does feel like they're trying to kill you when you're pulling them out.

I think it's the primary reason I still lift weights.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Believe it or not... I go the other way. If I'm asked by a good friend for help, I often help and sometimes set them up in great spots. I have helped two different friends shoot there 1st "head mount" = 3 1/2 yr olds. In stands that I found in the hills, hung, and let them sit for WI gun season. :)

I like going on trips and hunting with good buddies - it makes a good adventure and lasting memories. I only trust a select few, but I have had one buddy show me a bedding area that holds the biggest buck I have ever seen on trail camera (we have many pics of him). Only seen him shining once, once from the stand last year opener.

I'm not saying broadcast to the world, but hunting with family and close friends, sharing hunting tactics with others that are as crazy as you is what it is all about to me. So far I have not been burned by someone moving in on my favorite spots or showing others to my knowledge...

Greed in deer hunting can ruin friendships, family relationships, and marriage - I have personally seen it happen
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:42 pm

Very true bucky, I do have some close friends and family that I am trying to put on nice deer every season too. They all just happen to live a couple hours+ away so it's far less of an issue then some of the locals.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

I hear you all on the negatives about talking too much. However, in certain situations like this one it could be ok. I met Gardner Swamp on this site and have scouted with him, and think that both of us hunting beast style together could cover a bed much more effective, on a hunt the same day. I'd be just as happy for him to shoot a nice buck as I would. I know bringing in another person brings extra noise and scent, but the buck will know you are there whether its one or two. What do you guys think?
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:33 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I hear you all on the negatives about talking too much. However, in certain situations like this one it could be ok. I met Gardner Swamp on this site and have scouted with him, and think that both of us hunting beast style together could cover a bed much more effective, on a hunt the same day. I'd be just as happy for him to shoot a nice buck as I would. I know bringing in another person brings extra noise and scent, but the buck will know you are there whether its one or two. What do you guys think?

I think in that situation, when its someone you hunt or scout with, etc its alright. I was more referring to like my classmates at school or local townspeople asking me about big bucks - I like to keep my mouth shut then..

I have another question about this subject, as long as we're talking about being secretive -

What is your opinion on trailcam pictures? Do you show people pictures of the bucks you are after, or are they kept to yourself as well?

Does it make a difference if people know where you are hunting or not?
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:18 am

I think there are some excellent points being made. I too have put guys in my best sets and they've experienced success and that was actually more rewarding for me than my success. I also have experienced guys whose sole idea of scouting is to spy on the successful hunters and move in on their sets. They know your name, your truck, your license plate, what zones you hunt, when you hunt. They find you on the internet, your handle, they track your postings. They know more about you than you do. I've had guys contact me whom I've never heard of, asking me for advice on a property they new I had hunted. The first 2 buck sets that I discovered on public land, were stolen from me, because of some off hand comments I made and I was followed in. Ironically on one of them, the guy moved out of the bedding, because of where I saw the 12 pointer he bumped. Turns out he was within 75 yards of where he needed to be and moved out 275 yards from the bedding and took himself out of play. In that case he actually did me a favor.

The other thing is that I've had experiences where "friends" have turned resentful. I don't profess to be a great hunter by any means, my focus is to always improve. And as I've gotten better and as I've started passing up borderline book bucks(young) on public land, the resentment has escalated to the point of sabatage. And as I've moved on to form more constructive alliances I've met others who have experienced the same thing.

Ultimately there's just a couple of points I'd make. One is that I just don't have that much time. I literally have 4-5 high probability sets and if i'm careless and I allow someone to just take one of my sets, I just don't have the time to be able to make it up.

Secondly, I think that it is very important to share the experience with others, I think though that if you do not want to be disrespected, you have to be judicious with whom and what you share. We can always talk about method, you know "teach a man to fish" that's always good, but if you're careless and you get disrespected, it takes away. For me anyway, while hunting might not be the most important in the hiearchy of things, it remains extremely meangingful to me and given my past expereinces, I've become protective of it.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:02 am

Trail cam pics and camera pics I keep pretty close to my chest unless the pic can't reveal anything about the area I took it from.

As far as getting deer out, a good deer cart has alleviated most all need for calling help in.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:18 pm

When I am on to a good deer or have success in an area I share that info with only my son Marshall and brother. Sometimes its not just the people you talk to but don't forget they may share this info with others. One touchy situation I have dealt with is killing a good buck on land owned by my brother inlaw. Even though I was welcome to hunt his property, after killing the buck he became a little edgy about me hunting there. I often wonder if I shouldn't have told him that the deer was killed on his land.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:53 pm

muddy wrote:As far as getting deer out, a good deer cart has alleviated most all need for calling help in.

Very true Muddy, I have a cart and it can be a dream in the right situation. The main problem is most of my public/swamp hunting locations just are not cart friendly so it's much better to have a buddie along.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:I hear you all on the negatives about talking too much. However, in certain situations like this one it could be ok. I met Gardner Swamp on this site and have scouted with him, and think that both of us hunting beast style together could cover a bed much more effective, on a hunt the same day. I'd be just as happy for him to shoot a nice buck as I would. I know bringing in another person brings extra noise and scent, but the buck will know you are there whether its one or two. What do you guys think?

As I started reading the posts I was wondering if BS was giving me some BS :lol: I know BS puts in the time and effort like most do on this site. So I don't have a problem with sharing pics and info with him.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:10 pm

The flip side of this coin is if you share info with the right people you can build a network of people who will help you locate deer. The trick is to find the right people. I like to openly share info about other game such as bear, bobcat, beaver, etc. with guys that arent into deer hunting but into these other animals. They in return share info with me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 am

ttsbuck wrote:When I am on to a good deer or have success in an area I share that info with only my son Marshall and brother. Sometimes its not just the people you talk to but don't forget they may share this info with others. One touchy situation I have dealt with is killing a good buck on land owned by my brother inlaw. Even though I was welcome to hunt his property, after killing the buck he became a little edgy about me hunting there. I often wonder if I shouldn't have told him that the deer was killed on his land.

Thats a good point... Seems every time I ever shot a big buck on a private parcel it was not long after that that I lost permission... Land owners who don't hunt often have friends and relation that do... They like to brag about the bucks shot on there land and often a hunting freind or relitive will see the buck picture or hear the story and want in... And then want you out in order to have it to themselves.... Or you get the guys that find out what your shooting and then up the game by offering the land owner money, or more money than you to hunt the land. Or worse they sneak on...
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:37 am

I have learned to say very little since its difficult to gain access here in Indiana where I live. Down south on Public I tell my friends more because I have a lot of beds scouted out and cant possibly hunt them all every year. But I also dont really know how big of a deer may be there since its hours away and I dont shine.

Others always seem to exaggerate

As for hearing from others, they are always monsters! I rarely believe it because most guys seem to overexaggerate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:19 am

Buckfever wrote:I think there are some excellent points being made. I too have put guys in my best sets and they've experienced success and that was actually more rewarding for me than my success. I also have experienced guys whose sole idea of scouting is to spy on the successful hunters and move in on their sets. They know your name, your truck, your license plate, what zones you hunt, when you hunt. They find you on the internet, your handle, they track your postings. They know more about you than you do. I've had guys contact me whom I've never heard of, asking me for advice on a property they new I had hunted. The first 2 buck sets that I discovered on public land, were stolen from me, because of some off hand comments I made and I was followed in. Ironically on one of them, the guy moved out of the bedding, because of where I saw the 12 pointer he bumped. Turns out he was within 75 yards of where he needed to be and moved out 275 yards from the bedding and took himself out of play. In that case he actually did me a favor.

The other thing is that I've had experiences where "friends" have turned resentful. I don't profess to be a great hunter by any means, my focus is to always improve. And as I've gotten better and as I've started passing up borderline book bucks(young) on public land, the resentment has escalated to the point of sabatage. And as I've moved on to form more constructive alliances I've met others who have experienced the same thing.

Ultimately there's just a couple of points I'd make. One is that I just don't have that much time. I literally have 4-5 high probability sets and if i'm careless and I allow someone to just take one of my sets, I just don't have the time to be able to make it up.

Secondly, I think that it is very important to share the experience with others, I think though that if you do not want to be disrespected, you have to be judicious with whom and what you share. We can always talk about method, you know "teach a man to fish" that's always good, but if you're careless and you get disrespected, it takes away. For me anyway, while hunting might not be the most important in the hiearchy of things, it remains extremely meangingful to me and given my past expereinces, I've become protective of it.

Great post and have experienced alot of what you say. One thing I have done is have a cyber camp with other forum members to bounce findings,pics,ideas and share the hunt with. Makes up for the comraderie I often lose from the guys here local. I've found out that family who hunt often have ill feelings and friends don't always keep their mouth shut on your findings the hard way. The cyber camp fills the void .

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”