Any memorable spontaneous hunting moments?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Any memorable spontaneous hunting moments?

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:02 pm

I was shooting a bit today and began thinking about some fun spontaneous hunting situations I have experienced over the years.

The first one I remembered was an extremely fast moving situation that occured maybe 7-8 years ago. I was bowhunting later in the season when a group of does moved into bed late in the morning. Well they caught my wind and bolted. I realized that was more than likely my only chance at arrowing a deer that morning. But was it? I was hunting a high ground thicket with a similar thicket on the next ridge over. I quickly scurried down the tree and ran about 150-200 yards to a point where I thought they would cross over to the other thicket. Within 2 minutes they came around the corner. They were on high alert. I drew my bow behind a tree and eased up.....they locked eyes on me. I held steady and released at what I thought was a 30 yard shot. Well it was a 20 yard shot but in the heat of the moment I blew it. Shot right over her back and the Muzzy stuck in the tree. I smiled ear to ear. What a blast!

I was watching my kids a few years ago during hunting season when I noticed a doe right in my back yard. Are you kidding me? I was only wearing bluejeans and as I looked down from upstairs I wondered how I would be able to get down to my bow in the garage, ease out the door and still remain undetected. Well I got to the bow in the garage and eased outside. I literally stalked behind my truck and rose up to shoot. Well I had left a 6 foot ladder standing up outside and it obstructed my view. The doe was now locked on me as I was only 15 yards away. I shot through the rungs of the ladder and drilled her. Dead doe.

A couple of years ago I had ended a morning hunt with my friend and was on my way home when I saw a little old doe out in the middle of a grass field. My friend laughed when I expressed an interest in giving a couple hundred yard stalk a try on that doe with no cover. Well somehow I pulled it off and arrowed that doe with nothing but grass between her and I the whole way.

What about you all, any spontaneous hunting situations come to mind?

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Any memorable spontaneous hunting moments?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:26 am

My second year of bow hunting and I had yet to connect on a buck. I climbed into a tree and stood on a limb about 6 ft off the ground. A 5 point buck came walking by and walked right up to me. He could'nt figure out what was perched on that limb so he walked right up and started smelling my boot! I was so shook up that my leg was shaking and I couldn't believe he didn't run away. He finally got nervous and backed up and made a circle around me. He passed by at about 20 yds. and I was still shaking and my arrow cut some hair off his back. :lol:

The most scared I've ever been was when this huge owl landed in my tree about 2 feet from my face. I just kept looking at those razor sharp talons and beak. I held my bow up in from of my face to guard it. He sat there for a while swiveling his head around then he looked right in my eyes and erupted out of the tree. I about crapped my pants!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:47 am

I saw one lone doe in a field across the street from my house about 8 years ago in a fresh deep snow. its just grass and no trees. I went home dressed in all white and circled around and was able sneak up from behind on a cross wind and shoot her bedded. Remarkably I hit her a second time as she was sprinting away. Both arrows appeared to be fatel.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 pm

dan wrote:I saw one lone doe in a field across the street from my house about 8 years ago in a fresh deep snow. its just grass and no trees. I went home dressed in all white and circled around and was able sneak up from behind on a cross wind and shoot her bedded. Remarkably I hit her a second time as she was sprinting away. Both arrows appeared to be fatel.

That,s some sharpshooting for sure with a bow. I seen on YOU TUBE once some kids doing deer drives and the posters all had bows. They were nailing them on the run .CRAZY
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:50 am

Swampthing wrote:
dan wrote:I saw one lone doe in a field across the street from my house about 8 years ago in a fresh deep snow. its just grass and no trees. I went home dressed in all white and circled around and was able sneak up from behind on a cross wind and shoot her bedded. Remarkably I hit her a second time as she was sprinting away. Both arrows appeared to be fatel.

That,s some sharpshooting for sure with a bow. I seen on YOU TUBE once some kids doing deer drives and the posters all had bows. They were nailing them on the run .CRAZY

Ive watched that viedo MANY times its awseome!!!!!!!

Here it is again! Enjoy:
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_fN2-o-Gw[/bbvideo]
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 am

That video is awesome! I can't believe how strong that carbon arrow is in the last hunt that it didn't break!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 pm

I believe it was my senior year of high school and my dad decided he couldn't hunt the rut cause of work load (I think he might have been getting a little lazy and bored of freezing his off and he knows I'll bring home meat anyways). I was pretty bummed cause he's my favorite hunting partner so I decided to take the invite from a good friend Jimbo to hunt up at his uncle's farm in northern MN. I was thrilled cause I had cut over a dozen chords of wood for his uncle and helped him stack bales of hay over the summer while we fished at his lake cabin. The farm is a county road across from a large National Wildlife Refuge that holds big swamp bucks and I had seen some of the deer they've easily harvested during the rut so I was ecstatic. It was opening Sunday afternoon when everyone decided to make a drive through a thick aspen chunk of timber that rose up from a small creek bottom and butted up against a tamarack stand. At this point, we had passed on a bunch of 1-2 yr olds and the other guys shot a few does in the hay field across the property. I chose to be a driver so I could stay back alittle longer to BS with Jimbo's older brother Don. We got to the fire lane in between the aspen and tamarack to walk down to the farthest edge of the property to start pushing through the aspen and Don decided he would cut in about 75 yards in and he told me to go another 50 yards and then cut in. I was peering into the tamarack on my right side while slowly walking to where I had to cut in and saw a big deer with nice antlers standing broadside watching me about 35 yards in. Natural reaction, I just froze. About two seconds later, I threw my rifle on my shoulder and blasted him with the open sights. It wasn't the greatest shot and it hit him in what some people call the "dead zone" where there's supposedly air between the lungs and spine. He dropped but just laid there staring through me. I felt pretty bad actually but I had to put another bullet in him. This time, I hit him perfectly broadside in the lungs and he lunged up, bounded about 15 yards and then bedded down again! I watched him take his last breaths through the scope.

I think through the rigors of the rut, he just got deathly tired and bedded there with the wind blowing from his back towards the fire lane and was watching us the whole time. When I shot him initially, it seemed like he just knew he was ready to go when he was staring at me. He's my biggest buck to date at 134".

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 pm

A friend and I were bow hunting his uncles farm. We had met up after the morning hunt and were walking back thru an old crab apple orchard that had cows pastured in it. He bumps me and says get down, did you see that deer? I said no, he pointed and said I just saw the rear end of it thru the tree's. He said hit your grunt call. I did and he said, its a buck, here he comes. I threw my call over my shoulder so it wouldn't get hung up on the string. I went to put my release on and noticed the call fell back down. I grabbed it and caught movement. When I looked up this buck was all of maybe 8yds from us, pissed off and locked onto us. We were in the open, nothing to hide by. I looked and my buddy is at full draw. I'm thinking shoot, but he isn't. I then whisper, shoot and he does. The buck went about 80yds and piled up. Then after all the high fives, we decided it would be easier to "float" it down the creek, instead of dragging it to the house. That was the dumbest move to date, as it didn't float so well and there was no current to speak of. It took forever and we never tried that again.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”