shotgun for whitetails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bluegRASS

shotgun for whitetails

Unread postby bluegRASS » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am

If you were going to get a shotgun for whitetails what would you get.
Pump action, rifled barrel, scope, barrel length and what slugs would you shoot.
I am thinking about getting one for the season this year, and I do not know very much about shotguns at all.
Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: shotgun for whitetails

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 am

I have a Mossburg marine ( nickle plated ) pump. Holds 6 with one in the chamber... I chose to put a good rifle scope on mine, rather than a "shotgun" scope. With Winchester supreme platnums I can shoot about 120 accuratly. Since rifles opened here it don't get used much any more.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:00 pm

I used to use a Remington 870 SuperMag with a rifled slug barrel. but having to buy sabots got really expensive sighting it in. That and the thing kicked worse than anything Ive ever shot in my life, I flinched really bad when I used it and couldnt hit anything :oops:

Since I only stand hunt anyways and dont do any drives or anything, I started just carrying my muzzleloader with me, which I could shoot much more accurately. Havent slug hunted in a few years though..
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:10 pm

My deer shotgun is a Remington 1187 with a rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Scope is a 1-4 Leopold. Great gun out to 100 yards. Shoot Reminington sabot slugs.

Longest kill shot was 123 yards on a running deer :shock: yeah there was a little luck there. Aimed at the tip of her nose and touched one off while "swinging thru" Hit her a little high in the shoulder and she crumpled on her bound down. Never moved again. It was a mini deer drive and had a guy standing right next to me as a witness. We were both pretty impressed. ;)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Depends on $$$$

H&R, Mossberg, or Savage with Accutrigger.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:55 pm

my deer gun is a Remington 870 12 ga with a remington rifled barrel

simmons 4x scope mounted on top, I ONLY shoot lightfield slugs...they are the best out there

this thing has taken down many deer!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I ONLY shoot lightfield slugs...they are the best out there

I have noticed that every gun shoots different with different slugs/sabots... The best thing to do is try several brands thru your gun and see what works best in the exact gun your useing.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am

you are correct, Dan.

should have said they are the best I have found for this setup.

dan wrote:

I have noticed that every gun shoots different with different slugs/sabots... The best thing to do is try several brands thru your gun and see what works best in the exact gun your useing.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:26 am

dan wrote:

Very true. I have also noticed that the Lightfields (Rifled barrel) and the original Brenneke's (smooth bore) seem to be the most consistently good shooting slugs out there, but I haven't tried the "premium" ammo that's out there like the Winchester supreme platnums that Dan uses. That stuff is expensive. :shock: I leave that to the "big money" guy's like Dan. ;) :P
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 am

I currently have an Ithica 12ga deer slayer with a hastings rifled barrel and a nikon pro staff scope. On a bench with barnes expanders, its a 3" group at 100yds (likely a better shooter could do better). Ive also used my muzzle loader as Cornfed does. The ML is tough to beat for accuracy. If I were in your shoes, Id be looking at H&R Ultra Slugger in 20ga. With todays advanced ammo, 12ga really isnt necessary. This wouldnt be a deer drive type gun, but my group no longer does deer drives. Its a bit heavy with the bull barrel, but they are a tack driver and the extra weight takes some of the felt recoil out. They also load 5x faster for a follow up shot versus a ML. If money was no object, Id get the Bennelli super black eagle.
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:02 am

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. with a Hastings rifled slug barrel and scope mount. My scope is a Bushnell Sportview 3x9x42 and I shoot Hornady SST slugs. http://www.hornady.com/store/Slugs/
Works for me and is a very accurate shooter!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm

One thing i learned is you have to shoot what is right for you. I have always shot the same old mossberg and I hit very well with it. Then this past season i switched to a Remington and I dont even wanna say how many deer I missed with it. Turns out, in the heat of the moment i would never get my face down low enough and then so i could never hit because I was always aiming different. Guess you have to find what works for you.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:32 pm

I look for a state that allows the "lesser weapon" rule and use a scoped muzzleloader.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 pm

I quit the 12ga years ago from the kick. I use a 20ga H&R single shot with a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x scope. Picked it up for $135 and it will shoot the same hole at 50 yards. It has the heavy rifled barrell and I filed the trigger mechanism a little to smooth out the trigger pull. With the Hornady sabots or Remington Cor Lokt Ultra it only drops 12 inches at 200 yards. Farthest I've killed a deer is 150 though. From range tests I can aim dead on up to 160 yards.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 am

... H&R Ultra Slugger...

If I couldn't use a muzzeloader in shotgun area's (which I rarely hunt) I would have one of these. The first year the Ultra Slugger came out I seen a guy stacking slugs on top of each other at 100yds with a 12ga model. I was amazed. With practice you can reload in 2-3 seconds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”