Alpha and Sticks, Treesaddle, or Assassin?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

futuredoc

Re: Alpha and Sticks, Treesaddle, or Assassin?

Unread postby futuredoc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Squirrel,

What are you using as your platform for your saddle? I used mine several times last year, and i do like it. I must say at the moment, if my alpha is set up, then I prefer it. The saddle sure is nice to carry in the woods and not be banging around though. It's crazy quiet, and the deer just seem to not be able to see you in that thing. I've been busted moving and just sit still; they look at me and go back to feeding. Must have something to do with the way you are leaning against the tree; probably look like a branch or something to them since you are not out away from the tree.

fd

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Doc,

I killed my best bowkill buck to date using a older original treesling version called the "Sneaky Sak". It is made in Idaho I believe and can be found as a small ad in some of the national hunting mags. Lightweight, easy to pack in a fanny pack (like two-pounds) and when used with treesteps (which is why I don't use it anymore - treesteps were outlawed on public land in Michigan quite some time ago) it was a deadly combination. Quick, easy and simple. I could scout-hunt very quickly, yet it didn't hamper my travels through the forest at all.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:35 am

Doc, On public land I use strap on steps, Private I like to screw in at least 4 steps, more if a larger tree. I too, think I have been busted less in the saddle.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 am

i just sold my old lw 500 (old school) for a millennium m100..hoping i dont regret it
wanted more comfart after 6 days of all day sits in a row

love my summit climber but not ever tree works there....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 am

all of them!
I have the assault and a saddle. Just picked up a used assassin that I want to try out next fall. I started with the saddle last fall and it got me into trees that the assault couldn't get level in. I choose between saddle or stand based on the tree i am hunting from. My initial opinion of the assassin is it could be a little smaller, but it does make the saddle more comfortable.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:19 pm

i usually use the alpha with 2-4 sticks, or the hand climber if the tree permits....always wondered about the assassin though
When better is possible, good is never good enough
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:45 am

I use the older assualt and three sticks, most of the time, if you state allows screw in steps ezy-rods are the way to go. You can put them in with noe had with minimal effort, I got the folding ones and wwrapped them in camo duck tape and out them in fanny pack stapped to my assualt, for instance I hunted KS last year and the trees were jacked up, big at the bottom with mutliple trunks, hedge trees ect. They were all I was able to use on that hunt, I got ten and can get 20 feet.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:22 pm

I use sticks and the tree saddle. The saddle takes a little getting used to but once you know how to adjust it, I think it works well. I would prefer a stand though for a long sit. If I know where I am going and there are climber trees I use my hand climber. One thing I want to try this year is to use the hand climber seat for my foot rest while using the saddle, I think it might be more comfortable to be able to stand up and stretch a bit. I agree with some of the other posts about being less obvious to the deer in the saddle. The first five times I used the saddle I killed five deer. I have just gotten used to wearing it as my safety harness because many times I have taken my climber and could not climb high enough in the stand but I could climb higher on branches and tie off the saddle. It also comes in handy when hunting from a stand because you can swing around the tree for a shot.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:54 pm

I own a hand climber, Alpha, Assault, and 4 sticks. Anymore I am usually taking the Assault with Sticks. It is lightweight, I am usually not that high with only 4 sticks, I feel safe in the Assault. Also, the Assault is easier to hang in the tree for me. Maybe I am just a wimp but the 4 or 5 lbs, whatever the difference helps with hanging and obviously with carrying!
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:26 am

Anybody looking to buy a L/W stand should PM me before buying out of the store... The auto shipping charge and working right and is charging to much for shipping. I can sell them direct till we get it fixed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”