Best time(s)?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Best time(s)?

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu May 26, 2011 9:02 pm

I was just thinking about hunting today 8-) and pondered a few questions i figured i would ask on here :mrgreen: Mostly to do with time in general...mostly morning hunts(Which will be %80 of my hunts!)
1.Morning or mid-morning if you want to hunt a buck bed?
2.How early do you guys get your stand and everything set up?
3.Would the rut be the WORST time to hunt a bed??(My train of thought is that he will be up and about and the bed would be the last place he would be, and would probably go to bed at night?)
4.How long does it take YOU to set up a LW and sticks?
5.Do you have a golden number in your head to wait X amount of time no matter what after a shot, good or bad?
6.Best time when a storm from is nearing?Way before,right before,during,right after, way after??
7.Best time of the day to check a camera and disturb the least amount of deer?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Beason
500 Club

Re: Best time(s)?

Unread postby Beason » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 pm

1.) I don't hunt buck beds in the mornings.
2.) I hunt mornings when the seek phase of the rut starts and am set-up at least an hour before sunrise.
3.) Rut = bad time to hunt buck beds. Good time to hunt doe beds though.
4.) 4 sticks and my brand new 2011 alpha, 15 mins minimum. It's not a race to me, I go slow so I don't sweat or make noise. Everything on my equipment is silenced.
5.) No
6.) Anytime there is barometric pressure change, it's always a good idea to be in stand to me.
7.) I check my cameras right before my evening hunts when I walk by them.

I'm gonna guess that you have not seen Dan's videos. There are other guys with a lot more BEAST experience than me but thankfully I learned the importance of hunting beds my 2nd year bow hunting by accident and have now killed 2 bucks near their beds.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri May 27, 2011 2:07 am

The only time I would hunt a buck bed in the morning would be when moon phase told me that buck would be feeding in the morning and possibly getting back to the bedding area late, otherwise I avoid morning until late Oct or Nov.

I never would have bought into the moon stuff without the beast, but now it seems every time I see a time daylight time stamped photo of a nice buck on the web it is when the moon was overhead or under foot.

I do find that the closer you get to the rut you can catch a buck sneaking back into his bed at first light, I think they are out making their rounds, looking for some does coming into heat early or marking their territory and they can get just little careless. You might not catch an old wise buck but some of the nice 3 and 4 years old could be had.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:59 am

1.Morning or mid-morning if you want to hunt a buck bed?

I always arrive at beds for morning hunts at least a 1/2 hour before daylight. usually more time than that though... I do not hunt mornings much outside of the rut, but do when the moon phase is correct, or a weather change has bucks out later in the morning. On most days mature bucks are bedded before daylight and hunting the bed in the morning would mean kicking him off the bed and ruining the spot.

2.How early do you guys get your stand and everything set up?
average 1 hour before shooting light.

3.Would the rut be the WORST time to hunt a bed??(My train of thought is that he will be up and about and the bed would be the last place he would be, and would probably go to bed at night?)

Hunting buck beds during the rut is effective. They still sleep during daylight. Just not as much.
Also, the truly mature bucks that have reached ages of 5 or older don't really participate in the crusing or chasing like the younger bucks do. They do get a little more careless though, and its a little easier to catch them making a mistake at a bed or staging area.

4.How long does it take YOU to set up a LW and sticks?

In the prelight darkness about 15 minutes goping slow and quiet. Noise carrys in the morning.

5.Do you have a golden number in your head to wait X amount of time no matter what after a shot, good or bad?
No, some hits I push imiediatly, some I wait. Depends directly on where the deer is hit.

6.Best time when a storm from is nearing?Way before,right before,during,right after, way after??

All of the above.

7.Best time of the day to check a camera and disturb the least amount of deer?

Midday assuming you do not have the camera near your hunting spots, but rather on field edges and where they won't spook the deer.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri May 27, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks for the replies! No i have not seen Dans dvd :( I am chomping at the bit for next week so i can get it! I am just trying to get a gist of what would be the best time for me and what is required of me. IE-How long to get in before and how long it will take and on a larger scale, when to hunt that spot and why..
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat May 28, 2011 4:21 am

8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”