Food plots (Part 2)

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Food plots (Part 2)

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:22 am

Deerslayer and anyone else who was Interested In my soil sample results, here they are.

North Food Plot-

Phosphorus- 14 ppm. Low to medium. They recommended 30lbs of this.
Potassium- 88 ppm. Low to medium also and they recommended 30lbs of this as well.
Sulfur- 26lb/ac. Medium.
Zinc- 2.40 ppm. High.
Org. Matter- 13.3%. High.
Sol. Salts- .24 mmho/cm. Very low.

South Food Plot-

Phosphorus- 17 ppm. Medium to high.
Potassium- 113 ppm. Medium.
Sulfur- 20lb/ac. Low to medium.
Zinc- 2.07 ppm. High.
Org. Matter- 4.7%. Medium.
Sol. Salts- .1 mmho/cm. Very low.

Here's what I think I'm going to go with after talking with a guy from SE Mn who seems to know his stuff fairly well-

North Food Plot- Rye this summer and then Wall Hanger Blend (4 lb Bag) In late July/early August. Coverage: 1/2 Acre - Perennial Annual Mix - Planting Time: Spring, Summer, or Fall. http://www.frigidforage.com/Product/pro ... ID=3&pc=44

This blend is for the serious Whitetail hunter. This healthy mix of perennials and bi-annuals improves protein intake during the critical antler growing portions of spring and summer. This blend is particularly high in calcium and phosphorus. It helps make big racks and is a deer magnet. It contains; Carrots, Ladino Clover, Vernal Alfalfa, Six Point Chicory, Purple Top Forage Turnip, Medium Red Clover, and Dwarf Essex Rapeseed, Sugar beets, New Zealand White Clover and grows best in areas that get full sun. If seeded properly, its seeding rate is 8-10 lbs. per acre.

South Food Plot- Wild Game Buffet All Purpose Blend (4 lb Bag) Coverage: 1/2 Acre - Perennial Blend - Planting Time: Spring, Summer, or Fall. http://www.frigidforage.com/Product/pro ... D=92&pc=43

This all-around mix of perennials and bi-annuals takes into account most conditions (sun-shade, wet-dry, soil types, drainage, slope, traffic, etc.). Its varying rates of germination and maturation ensure there is a preferred plant age and type at any given time to satisfy all the hungry critters feeding on it. This blend is devoured by deer and upland birds alike. Its seeding rate if seeded properly is 8-10 lbs per acre. It contains; Mammoth Red Clover, Medium Red Clover, Alsike Clover, White Dutch Clover, Ladino Clover, Dwarf Essex Rapeseed, Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue, and Vernal Alfalfa.

One thing I gotta find out Is what I can use for spray for weed control. Anyone here know?

As for minerals, I'd like to go with Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals. It's not a block. http://www.monsterraxx.com/monster-raxx ... erals.html

Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals are made up of high quality minerals and vitamins to maximize your bucks potential. Deer find our blend of ingredients irresistible providing mineral supplements all year will improve the health of your deer herd. It is very beneficial for lactating does. Although it is important to supply mineral supplements all year, heaviest consumption will occur from early spring through fall.

Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals are easy to use. Pick an area near heavily used trails or by water when possible. Clear an area 5' in diameter, removing all leaves and vegetation. Loosen the soil and pour bag over your area. We suggest one area for every 40-50 acres. Use one 5 lb bag per area every 2 months or as needed.

I've still gotta talk with my brother on all of this but I'd sure like to give this stuff a go. It's not to bad In price If you ask me.

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Food plots (Part 2)

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am

I talked with my brother and were going with http://www.frigidforage.com/Product/pro ... D=92&pc=43 for the south food plot. Were then going to put In rye on the north food plot and when August rolls around my brother wanted to put all turnips In. I wasn't 100% In favor with the turnips but that's how It goes I guess.

Were also going to get the minerals from Monster Raxx.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 pm

I have a few questions and comments. First what is the PH? This is must have info. What is the Magnesium? When they say 30lbs how big an area are they refering to? Who tested it for you? Also, in your descriptions you got your two blends mixed up with the wrong names (just ribbing you). ;) :mrgreen:

Your organic matter is good on your South plot and it's GREAT on the North plot! Your Phosphorus is low in both, but not horrible and can be fixed easy enough through fertilization. It would be nice to see that go up to at least 25ppm in the future with 35ppm preferred.

Your potassium is a little low in the N plot. It would be nice to see that go up to at least 100ppm in the future with 120ppm preferred. Your potassium is good in the S plot.

I would not plant rye. During warm weather it will get stemmy and unpalatable in a matter of a few weeks and you could end up with a thick 3'-5' tall stand of grass when your ready to plant in August. If your planning on planting cheap purple top turnips then I would skip that idea and go with something more likely to get hit like Shot Plot unless you know the deer in the area love the purple tops. If I had to choose between one of the two forages you mentioned I would definitely go with the Wall Hanger blend.

I don't know anything about the Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals. They don't list what's in the bag on their site, but it sounds fine.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Try Lucky Buck Mineral I have had GREAT results from it ;)
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 am

i'm trying plox max and jolt from antler king this year. you might wanna look into those products. they help w/ moisture retention, fert, ph and minerals. they're a nice addition-not substitue to the lime and other stuff you need to add to the soil. they're not overly expensive an work well from what i've seen
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 am

I have a few questions and comments. First what is the PH? This is must have info.
Soil pH In north plot Is 6.8 and In the south plot It's 6.4.

What is the Magnesium?
No test was done for this.

When they say 30lbs how big an area are they referring to? Who tested it for you?
30lbs per acre. Agvise Laboratories.

Also, in your descriptions you got your two blends mixed up with the wrong names (just ribbing you). ;) :mrgreen:
Lol! I see that now. :x I would edit It If I could. Go for It If you want Deerslayer

Your organic matter is good on your South plot and it's GREAT on the North plot! Your Phosphorus is low in both, but not horrible and can be fixed easy enough through fertilization. It would be nice to see that go up to at least 25ppm in the future with 35ppm preferred. Your potassium is a little low in the N plot. It would be nice to see that go up to at least 100ppm in the future with 120ppm preferred. Your potassium is good in the S plot.
This Is pretty much what they told me as well when I picked up the results.

I would not plant rye. During warm weather it will get stemmy and unpalatable in a matter of a few weeks and you could end up with a thick 3'-5' tall stand of grass when your ready to plant in August. If your planning on planting cheap purple top turnips then I would skip that idea and go with something more likely to get hit like Shot Plot unless you know the deer in the area love the purple tops. If I had to choose between one of the two forages you mentioned I would definitely go with the Wall Hanger blend.
I agree on the turnip thing but like I said my brother Is In on this too and that's what he wants. I too really wanted to go the Wall Hanger route on the north plot. He's stubborn.

I don't know anything about the Monster Raxx Trophy Minerals. They don't list what's in the bag on their site, but it sounds fine.
I had a lengthy phone conversation with the owner of Monster Raxx. He told me most products out there (mineral blocks) are mostly salt. He said you need some salt but the nutrients Is lacking In most of these mineral blocks out there. It makes sense too on what he's saying as I only need a 5lb bag of Monster Raxx every 2 months or so being It's mostly protein and not all salt.

Thanks again Deerslayer.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:18 am

Schultzy wrote:Soil pH In north plot Is 6.8 and In the south plot It's 6.4.

Wow! That is very unusual for a wooded area. My guess is that this land is low ground with softwood species like soft maple?

Schultzy wrote:No test was done for this.

I called Agvise. They said you had to specifically ask for a Magnesium test and that they would gladly test for it if you wanted as they keep soil samples 6-8 weeks this time of year. Generally speaking soil tests should always include Magnesium testing, but after visiting their web site I see they are a highly analytical testing facility so I guess it shouldn't surprise me too much. I wouldn't bother asking them for the Magnesium test because your PH is so high you won't be adding lime any way.

Schultzy wrote:Lol! I see that now. :x I would edit It If I could. Go for It If you want Deerslayer

Done deal.

I also noticed that they didn't give you any fertilizer recommendations for the crops you are planting so make sure to figure out what you need and add that as well.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:56 am

When having your soil tested, its best to tell them what plants your wanting to plant. They will then give recomendations for that specific plant. If you do not do that, then your next best plan is to ask DeerSlayer. :D
Ken
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:08 am

Schultzy - The turnip plan is fine, just talk your brother into doing a mix... add some dwarf esox rape, forage radishes, etc. Be sure to add appropriate amounts of fertilizer (especially nitrogen with turnips), the ag sample should be able to provide you with specific fertilizer recommendations - just need to tell them what you are planting

Check this out... http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... f=24&t=566 ;)

If the turnips don't work out, you should still be able to get winter rye to go as long as you have sunlight. Try the turnips, if nothing by Sept, broadcast the rye
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”