Bedding question ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Bedding question ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 am

Went looking for some buck beds in an area I had partially scouted last year. I spotted 4 good bucks leaving the swamp there last year.So I found some big rubs going in and out and went in deeper. I had overlooked some ground previously.As I was coming up to the marsh (cattail area) things were looking real good.Walking was tough ,and in front of me was a beaver canal .And then the ground blew up and 2 deer went busting out to the north.I jumped the beaver canal and into the spot the deer were. It was a small island (high ground) about 40 feet by 40 feet.It was completely surrounded by the beaver canals.The bedding on the island was actually just in the center next to some scrub bushes.But there were 8 beds all within a 15 foot circle .
So here's my question ? Almost everthing I found told me I found an awesome Buck bedding area.With the location in the swamp,the water surrounding this bedding area , the sign that led me to the area.It just seemed like a textbook buck bedding area.But what threw me off was the number of beds ( 8 beds) and no rubs anywhere,there really were,nt any suitable trees to rub I guess.But the main reason was the 2 deer that I kicked outa there.If I had,nt kicked 2 deer outa there I proably just woulda thought I found the lair of a old buck that had 8 different beds to pick from based on any wind.
So what do you think? Couple bucks bedding together in the early season and then the dominant buck kicks the other bucks out in the fall.Or mabey just some does that were taking lessons from bucks on how to bed.

This last picture is a look at the beaver canal that surrounds the small island .

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Bedding question ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 am

This is a pick of the layout of where i spotted the bucks and the bedding island.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 am

I would not doubt that both bucks and does use that island on occasion... The lack of rubs concerns me a little, but I would look a little closer for signs of a buck. And probably think about hunting that spot once or twice.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks, Dan ,I,m gonna have a second look next weekend .And definitely consider hunting the spot.I,ve got a pretty good feeling about it .But sure woulda liked to have found that definite buck sign.I,ve really been stuggling to find the bedding until this island .So hopefully it,ll work out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Did you find any decent size tracks? This time of the year it wouldn't be uncommon for two bucks to bed together, especially one mature buck and maybe one yearling buck. Back in late December I saw two mature bucks over 150" bedded within 10 yards of each other. If I didn't see them stand up in their beds I wouldn't have believed it myself.

As far as there being 8 beds on the small island I don't think that necessarily means that it is a doe bedding area. One buck can make many beds on a small island from moving around depending on the wind direction especially since it is completely surrounded by water.

I wouldn't be too concerned about not finding any rubs near the beds. Very few mature buck beds I find ever have any rubs or scrapes nearby. It's almost like they know that this gives away their location.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:02 am

Dewey wrote:
I wouldn't be too concerned about not finding any rubs near the beds. Very few mature buck beds I find ever have any rubs or scrapes nearby. It's almost like they know that this gives away their location.

I have two small marsh/island spots just like this one. Very good buck sign in the area, perfect buck bedding locations but not a lot of sign right in the bedrooms so I was actually kind of hoping that they could be good hiding spots for older bucks that don't tear up their bedding areas and give themselves away.

I guess I am a little less confident in these spots because they aren't all torn up like some of my other bedding areas but I know I need to just hunt and scout these areas a little more to gain the knowledge I am looking for. I do have a good feeling about them.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Plain and simple, old bucks don't rub as much as young bucks... There should be some signs around though... If you follow the trails away from the bedding area there should be one or two rubs along them, but be carful, cause there are generally buck rubs on trails leaving doe bedding areas at the trail intersection. Also look for scrapes and big tracks... The biggest give away to me is the beds themselves. But that can take a trained eye. The buck beds will be placed by an animal who is worried only about himself, and is relying on no one else... The bed placment should show those charactoristics. There may also be doe beds nearby, but the lone large bed that does not seem to be part of the group may need some investigation...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Dewey wrote:Did you find any decent size tracks? This time of the year it wouldn't be uncommon for two bucks to bed together, especially one mature buck and maybe one yearling buck. Back in late December I saw two mature bucks over 150" bedded within 10 yards of each other. If I didn't see them stand up in their beds I wouldn't have believed it myself.

As far as there being 8 beds on the small island I don't think that necessarily means that it is a doe bedding area. One buck can make many beds on a small island from moving around depending on the wind direction especially since it is completely surrounded by water.

I think your right on the * beds not being doe bedding Dewey.
I found an awesome small island surrounded by cattails last year.And it was only 15 feet across. It had 4 beds in that little area .I believe from 1 buck useing a different bed based on wind.But with the water around him he could bed on that island with any wind .He would just get up and move a couple feet if the wind switched.That spot did have some rubs right in the bed .So that sealed the deal.

the bed with rub in bed
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

dan wrote:Plain and simple, old bucks don't rub as much as young bucks... There should be some signs around though... If you follow the trails away from the bedding area there should be one or two rubs along them, but be carful, cause there are generally buck rubs on trails leaving doe bedding areas at the trail intersection. Also look for scrapes and big tracks... The biggest give away to me is the beds themselves. But that can take a trained eye. The buck beds will be placed by an animal who is worried only about himself, and is relying on no one else... The bed placment should show those charactoristics. There may also be doe beds nearby, but the lone large bed that does not seem to be part of the group may need some investigation...

Even though I did,nt find that buck sign on the island yet.I forgot to mention that on the trail leaving the island I found 2 big rubs .And 1 scrape and 4 big rubs on the trail entering the island.They are about 250 yards from the island ,though.But these rubs and scrapes occur right at trail intersections,possibly doe as Dan said.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

dan wrote:There may also be doe beds nearby, but the lone large bed that does not seem to be part of the group may need some investigation...

Thinking back now Dan .There was 1 bed that was kinda out of the group .And it was the largest bed and most worn down bed there.Man I really wanta get back out there now and do some closer looking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”