Lets see some northwoods/big woods bucks!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Re: Lets see some northwoods/big woods bucks!

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:07 am

Some very impressive bucks fellas. Thanks for sharring.

Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:25 pm

:o :o Nice bucks everyone!!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 pm

adrenalin wrote:
g3'S wrote:Here are the 2 biggest we have taken in the north woods of Michigans U.P

Have you ever hunted in forest county wisconsin? A few years ago I swear somebody that looks like you showed me a picture of that second buck.

No sir never hunted Wisconsin. That 2nd deer was killed in 2006 in Delta county in the U.P
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Ill never forget that sticker G3! your brother killed the top one though right? Couple og nice yopper bucks for sure.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey g3'S.................anybody ever tell you that you look like Aaron Rodgers?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Spysar wrote:
UPbowhunter wrote:This is a buck I killed in 1995. He is a Maine buck, I knew him well. I had three of his beds pegged, and knew most of his entrance and exit trails. I had him within 75 yards 3 times during the bow season, and finaly got him Nov 1st, 3rd day of the rifle season. He grossed 159 6/8ths with about 3 1/2" broke off his right beam. He also dressed out at 217lbs. At the time he would have been the #5 in the state with archery equipment. I lived up there for a couple of deer seasons, very nice country, you guy would do yourselves a favor visiting Maine. If you love smallies 100 fish days are pretty easy with a little research.Image

Nice buck, I have a feeling that some mid west hunters wouldn't have a clue what to do if they had to kill a deer in Maine....(obviously I'm not talking about anyone who posted on this thread, or anyone in particular, so please don't get upset with that statement)

Maine has been on my "bucketlist" for awhile, just haven't hunted it yet. Went there once in the early 80's and loved the country. Being a mid west hunter and having a addiction to elk and northwoods deer hunting, makes a bunch of long roadtrips every fall, which I'm sure you can relate.
Been thinking about a Maine and Anicosti Island trip for some time in the future.
But would have to give up on the 4-5 out of state hunts we do now, just never enough time in the fall.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:52 am

Spysar wrote:
UPbowhunter wrote:This is a buck I killed in 1995. He is a Maine buck, I knew him well. I had three of his beds pegged, and knew most of his entrance and exit trails. I had him within 75 yards 3 times during the bow season, and finaly got him Nov 1st, 3rd day of the rifle season. He grossed 159 6/8ths with about 3 1/2" broke off his right beam. He also dressed out at 217lbs. At the time he would have been the #5 in the state with archery equipment. I lived up there for a couple of deer seasons, very nice country, you guy would do yourselves a favor visiting Maine. If you love smallies 100 fish days are pretty easy with a little research.Image

Nice buck, I have a feeling that some mid west hunters wouldn't have a clue what to do if they had to kill a deer in Maine....(obviously I'm not talking about anyone who posted on this thread, or anyone in particular, so please don't get upset with that statement)

Spy, not really a whole lot different than the U.P. Find the cuttings and find deer. Or hike into the swamps.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:35 am

UPbowhunter wrote:Spy, not really a whole lot different than the U.P. Find the cuttings and find deer. Or hike into the swamps.

I think NE MN, the UP, and Maine have a lot in common. We had an out of stater hunt with us last year and he was amazed at how thick the woods are.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:33 am

If I had a scanner I could add two pics to the mix but I don't. I will try to get mount pics asap as it would be simple for me to snap a pic of the mounts. My favorite deer hunt ever took place in northern Wisconsin in 2007. I shot a really nice heavy eight pointer on public about 2-2.5 miles from the nearest road. It was a hellish drag through black spruce swamps and through a river, but the image of that buck is burnt into my memory and it is so clear it feels like it was yesterday. To this day it is my crowning accomplishment. Although I have taken nicer bucks since for some reason my eyes always gravitate toward that buck from 2007.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 am

DropTyne wrote:If I had a scanner I could add two pics to the mix but I don't. I will try to get mount pics asap as it would be simple for me to snap a pic of the mounts. My favorite deer hunt ever took place in northern Wisconsin in 2007. I shot a really nice heavy eight pointer on public about 2-2.5 miles from the nearest road. It was a hellish drag through black spruce swamps and through a river, but the image of that buck is burnt into my memory and it is so clear it feels like it was yesterday. To this day it is my crowning accomplishment. Although I have taken nicer bucks since for some reason my eyes always gravitate toward that buck from 2007.

8-) Nothing means more to me than my big woods public land bucks of 1997 and 2005!!! 8-) I relive those hunts all the time! I still get the chills thinking how cool those hunts were!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 am

When I was a younger man our rifle season in the U.P. had more Illinois, and Wisconsin tags than Michigan on the vehicals in the woods. Now its the opposite. Guys do yourselves a favor and try the northwoods thing some day if your from farm country. Or better yet find a guy on here from up north and do a swap hunt with him on your farm. He would love to hunt a farm, and you could learn a few things about big woods deer.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:20 am

UPbowhunter wrote:When I was a younger man our rifle season in the U.P. had more Illinois, and Wisconsin tags than Michigan on the vehicals in the woods. Now its the opposite. Guys do yourselves a favor and try the northwoods thing some day if your from farm country. Or better yet find a guy on here from up north and do a swap hunt with him on your farm. He would love to hunt a farm, and you could learn a few things about big woods deer.

That's a great idea! I think one of the greatest things about the upper midwest (MN, MI, WI) is the fact that you basically are within driving distance of two different fantastic American deer hunts. You have your farm country brutes and your northwoods ghost bucks, I love the fact that every year I get to experience some of each. The name of the game is the same, but the hunts are different.......

As you said UPbowhunter I remember a time when the northwoods of Wisconsin were loaded with IL plates, usually a 1:1 ratio. You just don't see that anymore, atleast not to the extent you used too. I used to love heckling the guy wearing the bears hats in the tavern we frequent there. I think the businesses in the area hurt a little from this loss of income. I wonder sometimes where they all went, why they quit coming up north, or where they hunt now........
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am

With QDM so popular now those Out of staters are managing there small piece of heaven. The with the northwoods!! Too far away and too much work! That's why traditional deer camps are almost non existent now. Everyone is micro managing THEIR deer on their 40 or 80 acres. Deer drives are out of the question because you wouldn't want to push YOUR deer onto Uncle Tony's 40!! I'm glad I'm part of a 9 man deer camp up north on public land. We have no problem getting away from the circus ;) No property lines or fences!! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:43 am

DropTyne wrote:If I had a scanner I could add two pics to the mix but I don't. I will try to get mount pics asap as it would be simple for me to snap a pic of the mounts. My favorite deer hunt ever took place in northern Wisconsin in 2007. I shot a really nice heavy eight pointer on public about 2-2.5 miles from the nearest road. It was a hellish drag through black spruce swamps and through a river, but the image of that buck is burnt into my memory and it is so clear it feels like it was yesterday. To this day it is my crowning accomplishment. Although I have taken nicer bucks since for some reason my eyes always gravitate toward that buck from 2007.

DropTyne...Rite on, great post.

The measure of a true trophy is in the hunt, effort put in to go one on one with a buck, on his terms, in his backyard. Adversities faced, long hikes, even longer drags, and the feeling of accomplishment when it all comes together.
Some people measure a trophy in inches, to me the measure of a trophy is the hunt.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 am

Public Land Beast wrote:With QDM so popular now those Out of staters are managing there small piece of heaven. The with the northwoods!! Too far away and too much work! That's why traditional deer camps are almost non existent now. Everyone is micro managing THEIR deer on their 40 or 80 acres. Deer drives are out of the question because you wouldn't want to push YOUR deer onto Uncle Tony's 40!! I'm glad I'm part of a 9 man deer camp up north on public land. We have no problem getting away from the circus ;) No property lines or fences!! :D

PLB, your absolutely right. Living in S. Michigan the big deal is co-op's and they work for alot of guys, and they kill some nice scoring bucks. Several of my
buddies have land and belong to co-op's and are good hunters, and they use to go up to traditional deer camps "up north", and they don't anymore. And the oldtimers that still go to camp are losing interest because nobody comes to hunt anymore, unforunately that tradition is dying.
When we all get together to play poker or do a cookout, their always talking about their property, and foodplots, and crop rotation, QDM....blah..blah..blah.
It's like a broken record, I sold my hunting property in MI years ago could see the way the sport was going and it wasn't my cup of tea. They all think that my hunting buddies and me are crazy for traveling 1000+ miles to go deer hunting, and think I should buy more property and join their co-op, that would be crazy. No disrespect to these guys or people that hunt that way, but if I had to watch 80 acres for a hunting season I'd go crazy, always tell them that I'm a hunter and not a farmer. But if I chose to farm it would be cattle and not deer. :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”