Buck Bed throwing me off ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Buck Bed throwing me off ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:09 am

This guys bed is facing the main cattailsand they wrap around his left side .
What yor opinion ?
It just seems to me like something is backwards.The predominent wind is N ,NW in my area.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Buck Bed throwing me off ?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:20 pm

It doesn't surprise me that you have found a good buck bed on an "unexpected" side of the marsh. I have found similar beds myself, with strong entrances and exits as witnessed by tracks / trails / rubs / droppings, etc. I would search hard for his entrances and exits into this bed, and wonder what wind directions/food sources/other deer make it advantageous for him to bed there. The primarily north/south transition line of the cattails you have drawn, along with the main woods to the east present a lot of reasons for him to bed there with a favorable wind for THAT bed. He MAY bed there with a wind from the NE all the way around to the South. I'd jump right in for more detective work and see if that's the case or if other circumstances for him to bed there are present. Regarding him bedding while facing the cattails, he can still swivel his vision in many directions and use his nose to protect his backtrail. 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:44 pm

I appreciate the response ,thank you. I,m gonna take a second look this weekend.I spotted this buck only 1 time. There is a main highway to the north, and last summer I,m driving by ,look over and all I see is this head and rack staring out of the woods at me . He was very high , wide.I did,nt have a clue how to hunt him,until i watched the MARSH HUNTING video. Went back this year and found his bed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:04 am

Nice... Hope you get him! 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I agree that's a great video... good luck with the buck. 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanx guys ,I sure will have a lot more tools to work with this year.Here's one of only a few rubs he made last fall.
The rubbing sure does decrease as they get older as Dan stated earlier.I have another buck that made 50 + rubs 2 years ago and last fall i could only find 3 total .I thought he was shot until I learned from Dan that the rubbing decreases with age.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:51 am

Good looking rub, Swampthing. You said you had a visual on a good buck there last year, I think it really helps the "mental" game when you are lucky enough to have that happen.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 am

Swampthing: In your diagram of this bucks bedroom I first wondered where, if any, standing water is located? Looks high/east-low/west? Where are the nearest doe familys? Here in Mich. mature bucks CAN have several beds within their secure bedding area. They do change bed locations within this area depending mostly on wind direction but also depending on how many two legged predators are active compared to how many 4 legged predators. In the past I've seen mature bucks abandon certain beds after the swamp/water has froze solid enough to leave the back door open - so to speak. In Michigan this time of year usually is about the time hunting pressure is decreasing and winter is setting in so food sources and just getting out of the weather comes into play too. By the rub pic. he's he was 3.5 y/o minimum last season....nice! Take him on his early season exit route to food or a late Oct.early Nov. route to a near by doe family. To be con't.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:36 am

(2)
Locate and map out the doe families in this area. If you can't watch from a distance to see where he is coming out then find this bucks sign away from his bedding area = tracks,rubs, and scrapes around the doe families. Keep an eye on these and when you see his scrapes opening up in certain areas it might give you idea which way he is coming out of his bedding area. Prep your entrance and exit routes to your stands now. Get in close to his bed without spooking him out and take him when the wind is right.
Also, is there a weak spot to the bucks entrance trail as he comes in downwind to scent check his bedding area prior to bedding in the morning? Good luck.... I have this feeling this buck is in trouble! M.P.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 am

Right on M.P.
You know your bucks... 8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks ,Martin I,m warming up my printer to print your thread .I found another bed ,real close to the road ,went looking there on a hunch from listening to Dan in his videos.I sat in my car looking into the Public area thinking,where is the place i would never think a buck would be.I checked it out and jumped a single big deer,bedded on a point overlooking the parking.It,s crazy how close he was bedding to the parking.Makes sense now looking back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”